Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

152516-apple_logo.jpg

Apple today announced financial results for the third calendar quarter and fourth fiscal quarter of 2010. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $20.34 billion and net quarterly profit of $4.31 billion, or $4.64 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $12.21 billion and net quarterly profit of $2.53 billion, or $2.77 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.9 percent, compared to 41.8 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 57 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple shipped 3.89 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, a unit increase of 27 percent over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached 14.1 million, up 91 percent from the year-ago quarter, and the company also sold 9.05 million iPods during the quarter, representing 11 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold 4.19 million iPads during the quarter.
"We are blown away to report over $20 billion in revenue and over $4 billion in after-tax earnings - both all-time records for Apple," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iPhone sales of 14.1 million were up 91 percent year-over-year, handily beating the 12.1 million phones RIM sold in their most recent quarter. We still have a few surprises left for the remainder of this calendar year."
Apple's guidance for the first quarter of fiscal 2011 includes expected revenue of $23 billion and earnings per diluted share of $4.80.

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2010 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Article Link: Apple Reports Q4 2010 Profit of $4.31 Billion on $20.34 Billion Revenue, Best Quarter Ever

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Dayum, twice the profit. Now, can they do something good for once and actually give all their devices DECENT MEMORY....

Also, the iPad numbers versus the iPod and iPhone... crazy.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
lately in NYC i'm seeing more iphone 4's than android phones total. and Nano's are everywhere as well

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Takeaways: Overall performance and iPhone in particular very strong. iPads almost shockingly below most people's expectations. Guidance for this quarter quite strong on revenue front, but maybe not on the earnings front.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
They missed on iPads - that was a pretty important number. Wonder how it will trade when things resume at 4:50 EST?

and more importantly what is the guidance. the earnings are old news, guidance is what will move the stock. they have to keep growing iCrap at the same rate to keep the stock moving. are we going to get a 26 million iPhone quarter next year when the 5 is released?

and these numbers are the full profit realized once unlike last year

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Those surprises I want are updated iMacs and iLife.
Also, Update the Pro Apps for 64 bit already!

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Good lord... Exceptional performance and some very interesting figures in iPhone and iPad sales. Looks like all the media feeding frenzy blowing the antenna stuff out of all proportion didn't exactly age a lot of impact. And while iPad was a bit lower than some expected it's still a superb performance from what is, after all, a whole new product line and market sector.

Actually, sorry, I'm being thick, that's 4 and a bit million iPad's in July, August and September not year to date. Considering they were still supply limited for much of that period I wouldn't be surprised to find they didn't have many left from their production run. And more ipad's sold than macs, theybjust may be on to something here... ;-)

macshark

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
They are projecting 15% higher revenue for the next quarter, but the profit projection remains almost the same as this quarter? Is this because most of the extra revenue is expected to be due to (lower margin) iPod sales in the Xmas quarter?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
and more importantly what is the guidance. the earnings are old news, guidance is what will move the stock. they have to keep growing iCrap at the same rate to keep the stock moving. are we going to get a 26 million iPhone quarter next year when the 5 is released?

and these numbers are the full profit realized once unlike last year

I saw this rumor, but haven't hear anything official yet:

Apple is predicting Q1 EPS of $4.80, below the $5.04 analysts were looking for.

If that's the case, it's bad news for Apple, especially in the holiday quarter.

stangmmx

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Personally I have a $320.00 price target. Then, wait for a sell off, and buy low before the holiday season. Excellent stock with exceptional performance. I wouldn't be too concerned about iPad sales.

For the rest of you derivative players, keep your eye on CRUS. They report before the bell on Thursday. Hopefully we don't get hosed :p

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Personally I have a $320.00 price target. Then, wait for a sell off, and buy low before the holiday season. Excellent stock with exceptional performance. I wouldn't be too concerned about iPad sales.

For the rest of you derivative players, keep your eye on CRUS. They report before the bell on Thursday. Hopefully we don't get hosed :p

are you crazy? i bet iPad margins are better than iMac and MBP margins. or at the minimum they make more dollars in profit on iCrap than Mac's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.