Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Papaspyropoulos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I was partitioning my Disk using BootCamp while trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook (30GB partition) but my partitioning never ended. The stupid BootCamp got stuck so after one hour I had to turn off my MacBook. I even listened if the HD was working but nothing... The shut down was inevitable.

So I turned on my MacBook again and all seemed fine. That was until I checked my HD capacity! My HD was 30GB less than what I should normally have. Instead of 60GB FREE space I know had 30GB. So I thought that ok, BootCamp must have managed to make the partition even if the MacBook crashed and burned.

No, it hadn't. My 30GB have vanished! I also went to disk utility and used Partition to see if there was any space there but nothing. Disk Utility see my HD as a 250GB disk which is correct. Somehow that 30GB has been recognized as a big chunk of info on my HD so now I am missing 30GB...

Has this ever happened to you?
Is a format inevitable?

Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Post screenshots from disk utility if you can.

Use daisydisk or diskinventory x to try and find the 30 GB.

B

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Go to Disk Utility and then the Partition tab. Select the partition that wasn't formatted correctly and select the [-] to delete it. Then drag the remaining main partition to the full size of the box (with the tab on the bottom corner).

If you need, I made a few visuals:
step1.png

step2.png

step3.png

step4.png

step5.png

step6.png

step7.png

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Go to Disk Utility and then the Partition tab. Select the partition that wasn't formatted correctly and select the [-] to delete it. Then drag the remaining main partition to the full size of the box (with the tab on the bottom corner).

I bookmarked your fine post as thisnkind of thing comes up a lot. I requested the screenshots to make sure this was the right approach before trying to lead the op into this, but your image guide is pretty comprehensive.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.