Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sstern1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Whats up guys, using my PB g4 rev. c and I've noticed that when I go to coffee shops and also sometimes at my home with my linksys router it won't connect to the internet, and under Airport all you see is "Airport has automatically assigned an AP address, you may not be able to connect to the internet."

ALSO —*does anyone else notice that their powerbook isn't level? that bothers the hell outta me.

Peace

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
sstern1 said:
Whats up guys, using my PB g4 rev. c and I've noticed that when I go to coffee shops and also sometimes at my home with my linksys router it won't connect to the internet, and under Airport all you see is "Airport has automatically assigned an AP address, you may not be able to connect to the internet."

ALSO —*does anyone else notice that their powerbook isn't level? that bothers the hell outta me.

Peace
I know this wont help you much. I have never used my powerbook on a wireless network other than my own. It works flawlessly apart from one thing! If I start the computer, airport is always on. However, it does not connect! I either have to logout + log back in, or turn airport off and on again. Once its connected it works great.

PS. My screen is a little warped. Only notice it when the lid is shut + its not flat to the keyboard.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Bizarre. Thankfully (luckily?) I've never had either problem with my PB on any wireless network.

It wakes from sleep and connects pretty much instantly. And on non-home wifis, it generally pops up a 'discovered network, do you want to connect box?' and just works.

So have you never been able to connect to an external wifi? Or does it just come up with that message when you first try?

What settings do you have usually - what's the DHCP one?

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
Some things to try:

Get a new DHCP lease.
Change the packet size from auto to 1000.
Try switching from duplex to simplex. (rare that this works)

I use hotel high speed often, and these are the fixes that I have access to. Usually, it's the host you're trying to connect to that has the issues.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Under the apple thing on the top left there is a location listing. i use automatic. when that problem occurs and i have major wifi location that i use a lot saved on there. For example, "Home" or "Work" etc. then i just select a location and it connects.

sstern1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I think i'm going to send this thing back to apple, these problems are really starting to bother me... I don't know how to change to simplex or whatever, or to change my packet size, and renewing my DHCP lease doesn't help.

Not to mention that the powerbook still isn't level!

-Scott

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.