Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143828-ilife_11_banner_500.jpg

At today's Back to the Mac media event, Apple announced an update to its iLife software suite. iLife '11 features new versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, and Garageband and is available today. iLife '11 is included for free with every new Mac, while current iLife '09 owners can upgrade for $49. The iLife suite last saw a major update in early 2009 at Macworld San Francisco.

iPhoto '11 includes new full screen modes to as well as Facebook enhancements that allows users can post directly to Facebook and see comments on photos made by others. Enhancements have been made to emailing photos, which can now be done right within iPhoto '11, and new slideshows effects have been added, including those that use location information included in geo-tagged photos.

New printed products include letterpress cards and new photo book creation features. A new project view in iPhoto '11 shows all current cards and photo books a user is working on.

iMovie '11 features new audio editing and effects, a People Finder feature, new news and sports themes as well as movie trailer templates that include music recorded by a full symphony. iPhoto's face detection technology is used in iMovie '11's People Finder feature to automatically find people in close-up or wide shots.

GarageBand '11 has new features called Flex Time and Groove Matching along with more guitar amps and effects and new guitar and piano lessons. The Groove Matching feature can automatically match the rhythm of different instruments within a song. The Flex Time feature allows users to adjust the timing of specific notes or tracks within a song. The new "How did I play?" feature in the music lessons lessons provide visual feedback during practice and keeps track of practice history and performance.

Article Link: Apple Announces iLife '11 With Updated iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand

pacfolly

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
The "new" version of iLife is completely unimpressive with hardly any new (and no noteworthy) features. :(

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
so does this mean iweb didn't get an update or they just didnt have time to go over it because it wouldn't have been as exciting as watching those iphoto + garageband videos

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I'm pretty pleased with the iLife update. I'll be purchasing a family pack in the next few weeks. The full screen modes are really welcome. GarageBand has features I'd definitely use.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
The "new" version of iLife is completely unimpressive with hardly any new (and no noteworthy) features. :(

agreed, boring, gadgety and STUPID!

what about the "mystery" thing?

so disappointing!

and iwork '11? where art thou? equally a misnomer?

:(

ps- macbook airs are cool/hot!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It looked like iDVD and iWeb still exist. Their icons were still displayed on the big screen, but they were never mentioned.

iMovie and Garage Band (Why not just stick an "i" in front of that, too?) look amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the "express" versions of Final Cut and Logic are phased out. There's now very little the Express versions do that the iLife suite can't.

Definite buy for me.

CdnBook

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
Looking forward to the new iMovie!!... $49 for an iLife update isn't bad if you ask me.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

Rhythm matching is magic.

In fact, between that and the soundtrack tools in iMovie, they've apparently been hiring some audio engineers lately.

PsudoPowerPoint

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
San Diego CA, USA
Apple has set the bar so high with there previous presentations and product releases that by comparison this seems unimpressive. The software teams at apple may have done stellar work on this update, some of the new features were probably very difficult to implement in a user friendly way, but none of the features presented seem revlutionary.

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
I'm so tired of FaceBook being touted as an 'enhancement'. I do not want software that runs on my local machine to be so integrated with facebook. At least with it online, I have the choice of logging in or not. With it being in iPhoto, is anyone -really- sure that the thing is not active in the background?

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
LOL no iWeb updates

Looks like it's the same.

They really should kill that product.

If they want to continue working with web design software, they should purchase a high-end pro-level app similar to Dreamweaver, and make an iLife version of that.

Logic -> Garageband
Final Cut -> iMovie
Aperture -> iPhoto

??? -> iWeb

Actually, apple should straight-up buy out Adobe with their $50 bllion cash (Adobe market cap = $14.3 billion)

BassetCase

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I bought a Mac 10 days ago and called the store to find out if I could get a free upgrade since I am still within my return policy. The retail store said they didn't know and to call back tomorrow. Anyone else find anything out?

briansanderson

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has this been updated to 64 bit apps yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.