Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144119-10mba_fam_front_500.jpg

At the close of Apple's Back to the Mac event today, Steve Jobs announced two new MacBook Air models feature 13.3-inch and 11.6-inch displays.

As rumored, the new MacBook Air models do not have traditional hard drives, featuring only flash storage. Both models have Core 2 Duo processors, 2 GB of RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics cards. The new MacBook Air models have unibody chassis like the latest MacBook Pro models, full keyboards, stereo speakers, FaceTime cameras and glass multi-touch trackpads.

Battery life is claimed to be 7 hours for wireless web browsing on the 13.3-inch model and 5 hours on the 11.6-inch model, with a standby time of 30 days for both sizes

Both new MacBook Air models have high-resolution LED-backlit displays, with the 13.3 inch-model offering 1440 x 900 pixels and the 11.6-inch model carrying 1366 x 768 pixels.

142930-macbook-air-pricing_500.png

Pricing begins at $999 for the 11.6-inch MacBook Air with 64 GB of storage and goes up to $1,599 for the 13.3-inch model with 256 GB of storage. Both MacBook Air models are available starting today.

Article Link: Apple Announces New 13.3-Inch and 11.6-Inch MacBook Air Models with Flash Storage

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Anyone have any guesses as to how hot these new MacBook Airs will run? My 13" MacBook Pro absolutely burns my legs in hot weather.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Elated!

I was very much on the verge of giving into the iPad, but a lot of its limitations made me hold off. The iPad is not self-sufficient, as it depends on an actual computer for its content to be fed to it. I want ONE machine and this caters to me 100%. Undoubtedly, the entry-level MBA will be a very popular item, particularly with students and many 'basic' users who just want to browse sites, download songs, and chat online. Not all of us want to do heavy-duty video editing. (I'm going to sell my MPB and go with the 13-incher, myself)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't want anyone to ever call me a hater again :

MacBook Air, 13-inch
Z0JG

$1,478.00

$1,478.00
Custom configuration
| Show Hide
1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
USB Ethernet Adapter
Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory kit

Ships: 1 - 3 business days
Delivers: 25 Oct - 1 Nov

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Not sure what to think of these yet. Will have to visit the Apple store and take a look. :)

I currently have a 13" MBP that I purchased last year. Don't know if I want to part with it yet.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
I like the updates made, but question: Is the ram user upgradeable or is the only way to get 4GB by custom config?

macamacamac

Suspended
Dec 8, 2005
Will it run windows?

I was wondering if the new airs will run windows... still need mixed environment and don't really like the slow speed of vmware.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Funny notice, The 11" version have a truth 16:9 widescreen ratio. The 13" version 10:9

No glas panel screen. The future of the macbooks...hmm does this mean the glass will disappear some day? :(

With kind regards,
Bas

koach

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
New Air compared to Macbook:

Slower processor
Worse battery life
Same price

WTF?

Air should have been $799 at most. The new one is definitely more reasonably priced that the insane prices they charged for the Air initially, but they still aren't there yet. A 1.4 GHz processor and 5 hours of battery life is worse than my 5 year old Macbook.

GradientMac

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Canada
These are beautiful machines! If I could justify one, I'd certainly buy it.

New Air compared to Macbook:

Slower processor
Worse battery life
Same price

WTF?

Air should have been $799 at most. The new one is definitely more reasonably priced that the insane prices they charged for the Air initially, but they still aren't there yet. A 1.4 GHz processor and 5 hours of battery life is worse than my 5 year old Macbook.

No, it has better battery life.

1. The standards then for battery testing were way lower, in this case, you'll actually get five hours, but before you'd get around 3 if that.

2. The standby time is 30 days. That's insane.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Very interesting idea. I like it.
  • $100 to upgrade to 4GB RAM. Well at least we have the option
  • If they didn't taper it off so much, could they have got bigger batteries in there for better battery life?
  • WHY CAN'T YOU UPGRADE THE PROCESSOR OF THE LOWER STORAGE MODELS? I don't need much storage, so i'd either get the 64GB 11" or 128GB 13" model, depending on how big screen I want, but i'd like to spend the $100 to upgrade the processor, but I don't have the option:mad::mad:

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I like the updates made, but question: Is the ram user upgradeable or is the only way to get 4GB by custom config?

I think it's right on the board, so no, not user upgradable (assuming you could even get to it - which you can't easily.

alexph

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Anyone have any guesses as to how hot these new MacBook Airs will run? My 13" MacBook Pro absolutely burns my legs in hot weather.

Hi I have the old MBA with 128GB SSD and it doesn't run hot at all, hardly ever hear the fan unless I am really thrashing it

I love it and am trying to think if I can flog my existing one to get the 256 GB SSD

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I was very much on the verge of giving into the iPad, but a lot of its limitations made me hold off. The iPad is not self-sufficient as it depends on an actual computer for its content to be fed to it. I want ONE machine and this caters to me 100%. Undoubtedly, the entry-level MBA will be a very popular item, particularly with students and many 'basic' users who just want to browse sites, download songs, and chat online. Not all of us want to do heavy-duty video editing. (I'm going to sell my MPB and go with the 13-incher, myself)
True but the touch interface on the iPad is nice and if they put a front facing camera on it will probably do facetime.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Awesome Laptops

Give it a 6 or 12 months time, see what it can bring for $999...

it just the beginning, wonder this Flash will come to Macbook and MBP?

Are these CPUs are Low Voltage or Ultra Low Voltage?

Looks like 11" is using ULV

and 13" is using LV.

two usb ports and sd card slot on 13" awesome, $$$ is the question, everything else is nice. cannot wait for Sandy Bridge CPUs !!!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-20 at 12.10.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-20 at 12.10.14 PM.png
    70 KB · Views: 807

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I'm usually all goofy when it comes to new Apple products, but a $1000 netbook? I dunno, I'll have to do a touchy feely first....

maveness

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
I'll be buying one.

But, unfortunately, I think the real news from this event is something not discussed at all.

My mother died of pancreatic cancer; I know what terminal cancer looks like, and it looks like Steve Jobs does now.

I was shocked at how physically weak he looks and sounds, how diminished his personal energy was, and how he fumbled portions of his presentation, which is very unlike him. The parade of Apple employees presenting was obviously intended to take some of the burden off of him and to get the audience used to seeing other people as the face of Apple.

Steve clearly wants to keep Apple moving forward personally as long as he possibly can. I desperately wish him all the best, but I think the prognosis is not at all good.

This makes me very, very sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.