Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
With todays release of OSX 10.7 and the app interface will the next round of macs welcome a touch screen interface to make gestures swiping the screen to flick through app pages etc.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
No, as it was shown to us during the keynote, that touching the screen will lead to arms falling of. And Mac OS X 10..7 Lion is not released yet. It will be in summer 2011 though.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
I think eventually os x will become touch-based, but not until they can integrate a touch screen into desktops and laptops without having the monitors vertical.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
If arm-fatigue is a factor, why does the iPad have a dock/keyboard accessory? Once again, Jobs is full of dis-info and lulz. He's a great salesman.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The keyboard dock allows you to use a keyboard. It's meant to type. When you want to touch the screen a lot, take it in your hands.

deetsnai

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo. Also, remember that Apple said touch doesnt work ... for VERTICAL screens. There is no reason that the iMac wont have a mechanism to slide into a more horizontal orientation. Here is a patent illustration from August:
6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-pi

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The keyboard dock allows you to use a keyboard. It's meant to type. When you want to touch the screen a lot, take it in your hands.

But while docked and using the keyboard, Jobs never said that your arm will fall off if you touched the iPad. Besides, lots of people use the iPad in an upright position.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo.

Hmmmm.... the gestures I use on my MacBook dozens of times each day are a joke? That's odd, they work great for me.

I did notice them not firing during the demo - but I also thought I saw the guy's hands shaking like a leaf too.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo.
Did you also see his hand? He was shaking like crazy because he was nervous. I perform those gestures that he was doing with the Magic Mouse every day flawlessly using an app called BetterTouchTool. The problem he was having with the Magic Mouse is that he wasn't holding it while he was doing the gestures so the mouse moved when he tried to swipe which in turn made it not register the gesture.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Touch is coming, the gestures are a joke. If you watch the keynote, you can see them fail to trigger several times during the Lion demo. Also, remember that Apple said touch doesnt work ... for VERTICAL screens. There is no reason that the iMac wont have a mechanism to slide into a more horizontal orientation. Here is a patent illustration from August:
6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-pi

I agree with you on this to be honest.

I thought it was funny that Jobs said touch only work horizontally (in not so many words). The first thing I thought of was this patent.

Now the more I think about it, with MissionControl, and Launchpad, they'll make the balance between touch/mouse input perfect.

Imagine, you are typing in Pages, then want to work in iPhoto, bend down your iMac, open Launchpad, you basically have an iOS interface now, you then touch iPhoto, opens full screen and you go to work with your fingers. Then you want to go back to pages? Swipe back with your finger on the screen then put your iMac back upright and voila.

I seriously think it has potential. There is no doubt in my mind touch will come to Mac OS, and Launchpad and MissionControl will be what makes it possible.

And come to think of it, in the patent picture, it looks like a full screen iPhoto running.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
This patent image looks awesome, but everyone knows how many patents never seen the light of an end product, but I really wish something like this will come out as soon as possible, even next year? I hope so...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Did you also see his hand? He was shaking like crazy because he was nervous.
I noticed that, poor guy.

Once again, Jobs is full of dis-info and lulz. He's a great salesman.
Exactly. Jobs never lets anyone know his poker hand. Remember he said that no one would ever want to watch video on an iPod. At the moment that made sense but they changed the hardware and "Boom" it happened. The same will apply here. That patent application just makes way too much sense now that we've seen a preview of Lion.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Steve says 'no' too a lot of things that he ends up doing.

"No one would ever want anything bigger then a 15" screen."
"Nobody wants to watch videos on a small screen" on saying no to video ipod
"There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards" He also said a flat out 'NO' to making a tablet, cell phone, or PDA.

It will come, just not with Lion.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

"There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards" He also said a flat out 'NO' to making a tablet, cell phone, or PDA.

dont forget fm radio

steve just likes a way of doing stuff and unless perfect he doesn't want to do it.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I wouldn't be as categoric that "it will come" but, for sure, they're exploring it and working on it.

DaWooster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2009

No. It will come with Lion. Lion just reeks of iOS's touch interfaces.

On the counter point. If Apple said that touch interfaces were coming. And then they announced the MacBook Air, without touch screen, where does that leave the sales? Apple will not self cannibalize themselves without having a product everyone is desperate for in place of what got cannibalized.

What I see as awkward is, how are they going to introduce the touch computers. It's a when, not if. Would they start selling Touch iMacs and MacBook (Pro/Air)s leading up to Lion, or in the wake of it? With release cycles being as they are, I don't see Apple refreshing all the lines at the same time. Something has to give.

EDIT:

After reviewing what I wrote in that last paragraph, here's what I think.

Apple gave the next release the Lion name, even though they have a few more big cats left. The Lion is the king of the Jungle. There is nothing left to top it. As far as marketing is concerned, this is the end of OS X.

With Lion we've got the basic touch interface support. Apple will release Lion for the current touch less product line.

Mid to Late Lion cycle Apple will start releasing touch Macs. They come preinstalled with Lion. Because of that you will be both unwilling and unable to downgrade.

Come next OS cycle, and Apple will announce iOS X. They'll finalize the transition to touch screen interfaces.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
It could have been that the software is still a bit buggy since it's a few months off release and that's why they didn't trigger properly. The guy was shaking a lot as well

macb0y

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2007
i think touch screen will eventually come to desktop. I can see that transitioning slowly coming. the problem now is that the current applications/softwares dont really support touch screen therefore steve is slowly transitioning that with mac appstore, launch pad, mission control, etc..

guess it wont be happening that soon..

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I think eventually os x will become touch-based, but not until they can integrate a touch screen into desktops and laptops without having the monitors vertical.

I dont think os x ever will...but os 11 will

this is what I'm thinking...Lions are the king of cats...where do you go from there? 10.7 will (i believe) be the last os x

so what major change will justify moving to os 11, instead of making it 10.8?
touch

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
In my opinion, Lion will absolutely have a touch interface. C'mon, LaunchPad, Full Screen Mode, iOS-like UI?

The problem is, Lion will not be available until next summer and if they announce the feature now, sales of macs would plummet over the next 8 months. Everyone would want to wait for the new touch macs. In order to preserve sales, they are forced to say "Touch interface won't come anytime soon. Your arms will fall off!"

At the keynote next year, Steve will say, "Good news. We've figured out a way to incorporate touch into macs without your arms falling off." Then they'll introduce the iMac in the patent. Don't know what kind of notebook solution they'll come up with though. They need to find some way to get the notebook display horizontal when in touch mode.

DaWooster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2009
In my opinion, Lion will absolutely have a touch interface. C'mon, LaunchPad, Full Screen Mode, iOS-like UI?

The problem is, Lion will not be available until next summer and if they announce the feature now, sales of macs would plummet over the next 8 months. Everyone would want to wait for the new touch macs. In order to preserve sales, they are forced to say "Touch interface won't come anytime soon. Your arms will fall off!"

At the keynote next year, Steve will say, "Good news. We've figured out a way to incorporate touch into macs without your arms falling off." Then they'll introduce the iMac in the patent. Don't know what kind of notebook solution they'll come up with though. They need to find some way to get the notebook display horizontal when in touch mode.

Theoretically, they could solve this by doing the same thing they're planning on doing to the iMacs (turning the screen to 35º) by just tipping the screen back on the MacBooks.

Of course, the problem with that becomes that the screen becomes all the further away when you tilt it like that, a problem you apparently don't have with the iMacs. But I don't think that's a major concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.