Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
I only noticed this when I used in a darker room, but the top of screen white menu bar reflects in the white screen surround, above and slightly down either side of the screen.

If the screen is black there is no reflection, so it is reflecting from the screen light output, not the backlight.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Neil

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I can see light through the case of the iMac on all 4 sides of the screen, not just the top. I just assumed it was the backlight.

Take another look and see if you have bars all around the screen. The top one does seem a bit brighter than the others on mine.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Elan0204 said:
I can see light through the case of the iMac on all 4 sides of the screen, not just the top. I just assumed it was the backlight.

Take another look and see if you have bars all around the screen. The top one does seem a bit brighter than the others on mine.

I will have another look, the top bar is bright white normally - which is obviously why it is noticeable, whereas other areas of screen do not normally have bright colours next to them (desktop background pending)

If the screen edges are black ie. at game startup with logos, there is no reflection, therefore it can't be the backlight leaking, as that would still be on.

I just wanted to make sure mine was not faulty, in a bright room I never noticed, now in the bedroom.

Must just me the bright colours reflecting in the plastic surround, they should have really isolated the display more.

Thanks

Neil

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
You're right, the brightness of the bars does change with a dark background, I just tested that out myself. So the top bar is brighter because of the white menu bar at the top of the screen.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I can see the same thing on all 4 corners of my G4 iMac. Its nothing to worry about. I believe its just the back lighting for the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.