Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomAiello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Twin Falls, Idaho
Apologies if this has already been discussed, or is common knowledge. I've searched these forums to no avail.

Does anyone know if there is any third party making a stand alone battery charger for the 12" Powerbook G4? I'd like to get a second (or second and third) battery and be able to switch them out. I don't like the idea of having to use my laptop as a battery charger. I'd prefer not to buy a huge external battery, as well.

Can anyone here help me?

Thanks for any info.

-- Tom Aiello
tbaiello@mac.com

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
TomAiello said:
Apologies if this has already been discussed, or is common knowledge. I've searched these forums to no avail.

Does anyone know if there is any third party making a stand alone battery charger for the 12" Powerbook G4? I'd like to get a second (or second and third) battery and be able to switch them out. I don't like the idea of having to use my laptop as a battery charger. I'd prefer not to buy a huge external battery, as well.

Can anyone here help me?

Thanks for any info.

-- Tom Aiello
tbaiello@mac.com

why?

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ive seen them for iBooks back when i had an iBook . . . .

http://www.mcetech.com/batchrg_ib.html

but i have never seen one for the PowerBooks. i dont know why you would actually want one. a friend of mine bought a spare battery with his iBook instead of buying airport. worst decision ever. he said he never uses his second battery. and why would you need to? the battery lasts four or five hours (im guessing you are a switcher and you are used to wintel laptops that have a battery life of 15 minutes) so the only reason you need multiple batteries is if you often travel on long intercontenential flights. in which case it is cheaper to buy a car charger (they have 12V outlets in most airplanes now)

"I don't like the idea of having to use my laptop as a battery charger." i hate to break it to you, but it was designed to do that. that way people dont have to carry around a battery charger and a couple spare batteries all of the time. it makes it much more portable to only carry around a laptop and a power adapater.

if you really need 15 HOURS of battery life (3 batteries x 5 h each or conservativly 3 batteries x 4 hours each at 12 total hours) AND you are going to be away from any modern source of electricity. . . then i would suggest you invest in a gasoline powered generator!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
wPod said:
... i dont know why you would actually want one...
I quite routinely travel up and down the country by coach, and having to shut down, replace the battery and restart just to recharge dead batteries is a headache.
Everyone has their own set of circumstances. Personally, I'd find such a product very useful.

TomAiello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Twin Falls, Idaho
brap said:
I quite routinely travel up and down the country by coach, and having to shut down, replace the battery and restart just to recharge dead batteries is a headache.

That's pretty much exactly my situation, except for me it's long plane flights. I'd like to be able to get on the plane with three charged batteries, and would find it very convenient to be able to recharge all of the batteries at once, rather than swapping them into the powerbook to charge. This is especially important on short duration trips, where I would not always have the time necessary to swap in all three batteries to charge before departing again.

Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.