Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Hi All - I inherited an old server room at work and I want to place our NAS in there. The existing rack only has steel mounting bars on the front and across the very top (anchoring it to the wall). I need to add rails and presumably I also need to add support at the back of the rails. What do I need to purchase?

The mounting of the device is shown here:

http://forums.hexus.net/thecus-care-hexus/156915-how-rackmount-thecus-n8800.html

Where can I find the rails shown in Step #2?

Or should I get something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816228031

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
A picture of what you currently have would be useful, as I can't quite picture your description. Although it sounds like you may have a two-post rack like this, what do you currently have mounted in it?

You'll probably need to purchase a four-post rack to install the NAS into. I wouldn't recommend purchasing a shelf like you have linked to, they're mostly designed for smaller equipment that doesn't necessary need rack-mounting (think small firewalls/switches etc..) and not full length server/storage hardware.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
I don't know what the rack was used for before. Pic attached. Not sure if I can buy the rear posts or if I simply need something else.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 104

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Yeah that's a two-post rack, normally used for patch panels and telco equipment.

You'll want to look at getting a four-post rack like this, they vary in price quite a bit depending on features and brand, if you don't need a full size rack you could go for a 24U rack like this one.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Personally, I wouldn't recommend an open rack. You're definitely better with a closed cabinet.

Not only because of security issues, a closed rack also reduces noise and lowers the effort (hence cost) for maintenance as most of them will come with integrated dust filters.

It also seems as if you won't require a full size 42U rack/cabinet. For only a few servers/storage systems, a 12U might be sufficient and of course, cheaper.
Actually you can get them in all possible configurations.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I had those same open racks for patch panels, but i had a Mac Pro server I needed to get off the floor. they have these shelving units you can buy that bolt on either side that worked great, and even for a time held an Xserve. If you just have a small server and are experimenting, there is no need for a cabinet. a deep racked unit can be quite expensive. my half-height one was 800, the full were 1500.

you can just see the shelves in this pic i took a few years ago, can even see the xserve there.

why spend good money if it might be temporary?

Attachments

• server.jpg
    server.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 94

calimedic911

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
if you do have a 2 post rack, you can look on ebay or other places for a chatsworth server mounting kit. it basicly extends mounting points in front of and behind the 2 posts to screw your rails to. if you need, shoot me a msg off list and I can find the product # for you.

Sean B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.