Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Chaos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Hi everyone,

I work at a large financial institution that is examining the use of iPads for presentations. They are looking to examples of other large business who are doing the same.

Does anybody have examples of specific corporations now using iPads for Powerpoint type presentations?

cheers.

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Hi everyone,

I work at a large financial institution that is examining the use of iPads for presentations. They are looking to examples of other large business who are doing the same.

Does anybody have examples of specific corporations now using iPads for Powerpoint type presentations?

cheers.

A few guys at the company I work for (an IT Consulting firm) use them during events. I've also seen the Sales Engineers at Citrix Systems use them for presentations at local events.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
Apple is launching a campaign to increase corporate sales. Why not contact their corporate sale group?

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I don't know about iPad in perticular but I know the Credit Union my friends dad is big cheese at just recently did an entire switch over to Macs.

I'm guessing iPads would be part of the mix.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
VGA output via the dock connector. Keynote is probably the app most people would use.

wow, i didn't know that was on the dock, that is pretty cool, but wouldn't it be harder to interact with the ipad while its propped on that thing?

It would be awesome if you could have a wireless connection to that dock so it can send the signal to a projector, and you can then hold the ipad the way you want and move around

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
wow, i didn't know that was on the dock, that is pretty cool, but wouldn't it be harder to interact with the ipad while its propped on that thing?

It would be awesome if you could have a wireless connection to that dock so it can send the signal to a projector, and you can then hold the ipad the way you want and move around

To clarify, it's not the dock itself that has a VGA output. There's a little cable that you can buy from Apple, it's about $30 and it connects to the dock connector on the iPad and provides a VGA output. Yeah, the disadvantage would be that the iPad would be tied down by the cable.

I don't imagine it will be too long before someone comes up with a wireless iPad to VGA solution... :) (One solution would be to keep the presentation on another computer tied to the projector, and simply control the presentation from the iPad.)

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Sounds like an ideal use for AirPlay via an AppleTV - although unfortunately not many business projectors have HDMI :(

Could use a long cable or dock extender though (typically a dock extender would be lighter and more flexible than a long VGA cable, so probably best to use one of those if you can find one).

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I work for a large financial company of which I am just a local independent rep and I don't interact much with others. I only work part time...or rather spare time, but at one time I was doing 2-3 night time kitchen presentations, and 2-3 weekly meetings. I can't imagine how effective it would be in the field.

I have converted a few presentations and amazed at how convenient it is. I have also delivered a couple of presentations publically from the iPad that were also largely created on the pad, and it was just awesome. So portable, so easy to walk in, set up in seconds. I was pleased to learn that iCab displayed full screen with out modification to the projector.

I think if more companies realized just how effective and portable the iPad was, apple couldn't make them quick enough.

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
I am considering an ipad for a similar purpose.. any others apps besides keynote that can output PPT?

mlomeli

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Not sure what she's doing with it, but Diane Sawyer has one on her desk. Only computer on her desk during ABC nightly news.

Just saying...

james90755

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
I am looking at running ppt off an iPad. I am wondering what the resolution maximum is on the VGA driver...

iPad specs for the internal display are 1024x768. I would hope it would be at least the same, if not higher.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
just wondering how would you do a presentation on a ipad?

My fiancé works at a post-production company that also does a lot of other work such as websites. Recently they had a project whereby they put together presentation for a client where they made two versions. One was to be projected on the screen while someone blabbed on about it, the other was for the iPads that were lent to guests for the duration of the presentation. Apparently (I wasn't allowed to view the presentation because of confidentiality agreements) the iPad version had details from the speakers notes added so that the guests could flick back and forth if they missed a key point or wanted more clarification. It also helped to capture the audience attention because people were interacting with the presentation and not their Crackberrys or daydreaming about drinks afterwards.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I work for a large financial company of which I am just a local independent rep and I don't interact much with others. I only work part time...or rather spare time, but at one time I was doing 2-3 night time kitchen presentations, and 2-3 weekly meetings. I can't imagine how effective it would be in the field...

Argh - I hated Primerica. Hope it is working out for you. Personally, I find they are an MLM scam.

sam8940

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Our local tv news uses the ipad for every thing from there main computers to just showing a web page

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
I've done very large presentation projects for my school if that counts for everything. They usually look about 30x more professional than the PowerPoint ones. Not the exact answer you were looking for but it works well.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Eldiablojoe said:
Argh - I hated Primerica. Hope it is working out for you. Personally, I find they are an MLM scam.

OT, but I have been with them for 13+ years. Nothing scammish about them. I have a lot of satisfied clients and at one time had a very nice team before giving up my full time position and returning to teaching. Except for my extraordinarily frugal upline making things difficult for me, I had a very positive experience with the company. On the other hand, that guy who started my own personal investment as a first year teacher in 1993, with a tiny $25/mo, has helped me accumulate a very nice retirement account, almost all of it in a Roth ira. And he has gone on to become one of the companies top NSDs.

Now I am only a spare time rep, maintaining my existing clients, with a few new teacher retirement accounts these days, but if I were developing a large number of clients, or running an office, the iPad would be an absolute dream tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.