Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
i'm just asking as Steve Jobs never mentioned "10.7" per sé but rather "Mac OS X" or "Lion"

Also I don't see what kind of cat you'd find after Lion for the OS X branch.
I get the feeling this is gonna be the latest one.

So where did you get it was indeed 10.7 ?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
It seems they are dropping the 10.7 branding, I'm sure the first beta will show it's 10.7.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Of course its iOS 10.7,
what else could it be. We have the app store, iPad like launcher, etc. ;)

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Well unless we hear it from developers nobody can tell whether indeed it is 10.7. i'm just surprised everybody calls it that way. Anyways we'll see at WWDC :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well unless we hear it from developers nobody can tell whether indeed it is 10.7. i'm just surprised everybody calls it that way. Anyways we'll see at WWDC :)

actually by the time WWDC arrives in the summer of 2011, 10.7 will be either released or getting ready for release.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
actually by the time WWDC arrives in the summer of 2011, 10.7 will be either released or getting ready for release.

I doubt it. They’ll push WWDC up (Or a WWDC Mac will happen earlier in the year). WWDC used to happen in early May anyway. Steve likes to use the codenames. He never said Snow Leopard was 10.6 either, just the seventh major release of Mac OS X.

As for whether it’s 10.7, it’s pretty clear:

"We took our best thinking from Mac OS X and brought it to the iPhone. Then we took our best thinking from the iPhone and brought it to iPad. And now we’re bringing it all back to the Mac with our eighth major release of the world’s most advanced operating system.”

1. 10.0 - Cheetah,
2. 10.1 - Puma
3. 10.2 - Jaguar
4. 10.3 - Panther
5. 10.4 - Tiger
6. 10.5 - Leopard
7. 10.6 - Snow Leopard

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

Meldar

macrumors regular
Yes, it's got to be 10.7 - besides the whole "no more cats" issue, it's got so much more iOS-type features (or at least, it's rumored to). Although...it's not going to be like iOS for a Mac, more like Snow Leopard with a few iOS-style interfaces, or certain embellishments like the App Store (which will be great for developers, I guess) which are decidedly iOS-influenced.

One wonders if iOS will start to see some changes in the future to make it more like a seamless integration of true MacOS for mobile devices. Perhaps the teeny new Air is that stepping-stone. Could be why "Lion" is in the works...once the inevitable first-model-year kinks are worked out in the 11.6" MBA, it's likely Lion will be kind of an iOS-inspired environment for highly portable devices that are still supposed to be computers and not fun toys.

Just a stream of consciousness...:rolleyes:

Meldar

macrumors regular
I do rather hope there is a 10.6.5 before Lion comes out...Leopard made it up to .8, and there's undoubtedly something they can throw into SL to improve it (even though I don't know what they'd improve) prior to releasing a whole new iteration of the OSX series.

That said, if it's gotta be 10.7 that gets all the iOS-esque bells and whistles, there's not much left to improve upon in Snow Leopard beyond obligatory security updates and possible firmware tweaks should the up-and-coming Mac systems need to be backward-compatible in some way...

With iLife '11 still made for a 32-bit architecture, though, it would appear that OSX Lion is going to be constructed (and probably feel) much like Leopard and its snowy successor...built-in seamless emulation of 32-bit Intel processes because even Apple is reluctant to jump into the 64-bit world feet-first.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt it. They’ll push WWDC up (Or a WWDC Mac will happen earlier in the year).
I don't see that happening. What is more likely is that apple will release the beta shortly to the developers, probably in a couple of months.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you
Why are you surprised? Everytime there's a new cat name there's a new point version of OS X. It's 10.7.

Simply because :

- Jobs usually mentions the version of the OS when unveiling it. here : no word on 10.7, just the "8th major version"
- The official Lion website doesn't mention 10.7 either
- What kind of cat would you see after Lion to fill up for 10.8 and 10.9 ?

So yeh since there is not official word about it, I find it surprising that everyone would call it 10.7. True that'd be logical but i'm sensing something else and i would not be surprised if it were the last version of Mac OS X.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Simply because :

- Jobs usually mentions the version of the OS when unveiling it. here : no word on 10.7, just the "8th major version"
- The official Lion website doesn't mention 10.7 either
- What kind of cat would you see after Lion to fill up for 10.8 and 10.9 ?

So yeh since there is not official word about it, I find it surprising that everyone would call it 10.7. True that'd be logical but i'm sensing something else and i would not be surprised if it were the last version of Mac OS X.

It clearly says "eighth major release of Mac OS X" on the Lion Web site as I pointed out above. You can go back and look at the Jobs keynotes, but he rarely refers to OS X releases by numeral and instead almost always uses the code/brand name.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Ocelot, lynx, caracal, serval, iriomote . . . but let's be honest. They're probably going to use 10.8 Bornean Clouded Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.