Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Anyone tried this out yet and gotten results? Seems like a great concept but it was a little buggy for me. Anyone gotten this thing to work?

bw1128

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
looking into it now. seems pretty interesting for picturing your thief stealing your phone

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
It's a new app in Cydia that, in case your phone is stolen, will take a pic of the thief whenever they try to unlock your phone. If you enter the wrong password a couple of times, it snaps a pic, geotags it, and then emails it to you. In the event that the wrong passcode is entered, it's supposed to lock out all of your pics/contacts/etc until the correct password is entered. I couldn't get it to work correctly and wondered if anyone else had luck with this app.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I downloaded it last night, set it up and then tried to test it. For me nothing happened, no pic or email. It didnt do anything at all, so I deleted it.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
within 5 minutes of noticing my iphone 3G was missing a couple years ago at a crowded public place, the phone was off. It was the first thing the thief did.

All of Steve's horses and all of Steve's men couldn't get my iphone back again. :(

That being said, this app is very interesting but I wonder how well it would work.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I downloaded it last night, set it up and then tried to test it. For me nothing happened, no pic or email. It didnt do anything at all, so I deleted it.

OK, I see I wasn't the only one that didn't get any results. I deliberately entered incorrect passcodes and still haven't received any pics. When I did enter the correct code, this thing nearly bricked my phone when it tried to get out of Secure Mode. Deleted for now but this thing is totally worth the price if it worked as stated.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Anything can be stolen and there's always ways around things.
Its just a phone, Steve's horses are probably glad that you lost it and will have to buy a new one :D

within 5 minutes of noticing my iphone 3G was missing a couple years ago at a crowded public place, the phone was off. It was the first thing the thief did.

All of Steve's horses and all of Steve's men couldn't get my iphone back again. :(

That being said, this app is very interesting but I wonder how well it would work.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
None of these apps really seem to work well, if the thief has any kind of a brain. I have Fone Home, but to be able to track the phone you have to leave it running all the time, which wastes battery. However, all the thief has to do is either restore the phone, go to the multi-task window and turn it off, or just delete the app. It works great when it’s running though. Also, to take pics, you have to have push on, which I don’t, because that wastes battery, as well.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Anything can be stolen and there's always ways around things.
Its just a phone, Steve's horses are probably glad that you lost it and will have to buy a new one :D

Yep - it's a well-documented fact that for every iPhone that's lost & not replaced w/ a new iPhone, Steve Jobs shoots a horse in the face.

iPunish901

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
the developer for trackmyphone(actual app in app store) has this already implemented into the app. never tried to see if it actually takes pics, but i use it instead of mobileme

ivan300

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
ilocalis.com works and has that same feature

It runs a background daemon which can track and has lots of neat features

atlbuc

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Atlanta
Yea this totally screwed up my springboard layout. It worked as far as when entering a wrong passcode twice it hides your email and other private info but when you come out of secure mode or whatever they call it all your third party apps you've installed or taken out of folders and spread across multiple springboards. It never took a picture or emailed me.

iDeving

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
So this thing could be legit

After seeing / installing / going through the same thing as everyone above (including folder/app/location glitch) and it may be due to infinidock or infinifolders. The picture feature and email location feature did not work... BUT!!!

I did a hierarchy search using ifile for "igotya" and found 2 files, one was preferences, and the other is "igotya.log"!!!

In this log it shows all my attempts and seems like it did take geolocation and attempt to email it, it even goes as far as to show "email sent"

I am scared that all this information was taken in log yet not actually sent or saved in picture roll... but at the same time, at least it looks like its doing SOMETHING and not just sitting their taking our info!

But i hope this "email sent" with all my info is getting sent to my email and not the devs ;P

I would post results in snapshot but it contains my geolocation and custom message prompt (peronal)

I will be doing some research on this dev and post later if updated...

Oh ya, FYI ilocalist does NOT have the same features as this, in fact, the only thing it has in common is GPS location

iDeving

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
im gonna have to try this out

do not attempt it until it is updated...

I just emailed the Dev and told him to respond asap, because the logs show my info being sent somewhere... yet have nothing to show for it...

DO NOT USE THIS UNTIL IT HAS BEEN UPDATED, IT WILL NOT WORK FOR ME IN ANY WAY (other than in log) using:

iPhone 4 ios4.1

NOTE: make sure to keep all location type daemons for any tacking app to work

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
This app actually works perfectly, all you have to do is go to the settings and turn everything on and set a passcode than when you put the wrong passcode in twice it sends a picture of who ever is holding the phone to your email which it actually did send a picture of myself to my email, but the only thing I hated about it is when I tested it actually messed up my springboard apps and I couldn't get my layout back, that's the only downside of this app.

iDeving

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Dev replied

This app actually works perfectly, all you have to do is go to the settings and turn everything on and set a passcode than when you put the wrong passcode in twice it sends a picture of who ever is holding the phone to your email which it actually did send a picture of myself to my email, but the only thing I hated about it is when I tested it actually messed up my springboard apps and I couldn't get my layout back, that's the only downside of this app.

hmm, did you download from modmi's or dev's repo? well, u would be first to receive picture, did it save it in your Camera Roll as well? Did you have a passcode set before you downloaded / enabled iGotYa?

Because I downloaded it from ModMi, installed it, settings enabled, set passcode, respring, attempted incorrect password twice, sent to secure mode, locked screen, unlocked, entered correct code, checked mail... nothing... checked pictures... nothing... turned off secure mode, respringed, entered incorrectly twice.... nothing... nothing... nothing... uninstalled pkg, searched for log file, saw that it worked in some way... reinstalled pkg, double checked passcode and email... attempted same as above with passcode pre-enabled... still nothing...

Then i Emailed the dev:

------------------------

Sent from me:

iGotYa needs to go to beta, the igotya.log showed it saved geo and attempted to email... But no picture in cam roll nor any email

And your secure mode screws up folders/app locations on springboard after going back.

Please confirm u got this email by replying, that log shows lots of personal info and I want to make sure u and ur app r legit ;)

------------------

He replied:

There is a problem with the package of ModMyI. Please install my repo and upgrade and tell me your results:

http://ilocalis.com/repo

Greetings,
Antonio
-----------------

I will posting an update to let you know if any changes were found compared to his repo vs modmi

iDeving

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
PS:

I just noticed the guy who made this is the same guy who made iLocalis, and his repo http://iLocalis.com/repo/ has NEWER versions of both this and iLocalis, I wish modmi used direct... grrr

this guy rocks it, made location faker two

iPunish901

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
lmao im diggin this app. its sends an email instantly on the first failed attempt. i think this would be fun if like you leave it sitting around and your gf/bf try to get in your phone or just a friend in general trying to be sneaky and nosey. i do hate locking my phone tho.

100x better than than the legit app i bought in the app store

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
this worked perfectly for me, just had to turn phone off and on again after installing it...
I'm on the 10 day trial, however it doesn't seem to have a price or option to buy anywhere, I assume this must come up after the 10 day trial?
Also I don't use the 'secure mode' it messes up the springboard, and no point to it, why would you want someone to think they have the correct passcode!

iDeving

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
this worked perfectly for me, just had to turn phone off and on again after installing it...
I'm on the 10 day trial, however it doesn't seem to have a price or option to buy anywhere, I assume this must come up after the 10 day trial?
Also I don't use the 'secure mode' it messes up the springboard, and no point to it, why would you want someone to think they have the correct passcode!

Actually it's the coolest feature in the app. Security mode has 2 percs:

- you can prompt the finder / theif with instructions on how to return, and or tell him his picture and location has been sent to police/owner, and that the only way to avoid charges is to return to John Smith @ 555-5555 (home phone) ;)

- or do not prompt him, make him think that he guessed the passcode and that he doesn't need to restore, all while u r tracing him and taking pics... Most theives do not know to (or know how to) restore an iPhone if the find/steal it and want to keep it... They will most likely sell it as quickly as possible and or give to someone who will restore it for them if they think it is unusable after it has been found... The element of surprise my friend!

If I found a phone and I couldn't gues passcode within first 2 tries, i would just restore it immediately... But if i got in, I probably would take longer... Now I know ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.