Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I have used windoz for years and have alot of software for slideshow apps. I am looking for one with alot of diff transitions other than a few. I have looked into iphoto,idvd but they seem to just let you set it on on transition and that has to stay for the whole movie.
If you guys know of a Great program please let me know. Also is there any way to change to diffs in iphoto or idvd? Thanks in advance

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Do you want to buy the software or get a free app?

What type of slideshows are you presenting? How are you presenting them? Do you need it synced with music? Do you manually click through the slides or is it automatic?

D

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
Price is no option I just want something to work.
I want to do alot of family pics turned to slideshow and music is a must.
I just want a great program to play on their dvd player for the holidays. Thanks Again

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
But in imovie I can not get diff transitions for seperate pics? If so How? I will demo the fotomagico tonite and see that one also. Thanks...........

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
One thing, though. I wouldn't go over board on the transitions - that's not what the focus of the slideshow is, right? Just because you can warp an image to a cube and spin it for a transition doesn't mean you should. :D

Many times and simple fade in/out is all you need. You'd get better results do the fades timed to the music then a large assortment of transitions which are just eye candy and can get bit old after a while.

Good luck,

D

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
Hey Reckless thanks for the fotomagico link that is just what I am looking for being that it intergrates with itunes and iphoto..............Again Thanks

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Yeah - fotomagico rocks and is fully integegrated with the iLife suite. Check out Boinx's other software as well - their iStopMotion is very cool.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Not exactly what you're looking for but you could check out Photo to Movie if you're feeling really snazzy and want to impress. Just remember you want the effects to compliment your photos, not to overwhelm them! Sometimes less is more - with photos I don't think you can beat a carefully chosen soundtrack and a simple fade transition.

Glen Danielsen

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
You guys: two of you mentioned iMovie — I have used iMovie to make slideshows (on my Mac) and the image quality was just awful! Upon googling the issue, I found others who said the same.
So, question: With regard to Image Quality, what would be the best Mac app for creating slideshows?
Thanks in advance. ☺️

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
You guys: two of you mentioned iMovie — I have used iMovie to make slideshows (on my Mac) and the image quality was just awful! Upon googling the issue, I found others who said the same.
So, question: With regard to Image Quality, what would be the best Mac app for creating slideshows?
Thanks in advance. ☺️

I am going to tell you iMovie or iPhoto, with iMovie being the better one. I have used it for years for doing slide shows and have never had a problem with image quality when I am finished with the project I created. iMovie is great in that you can add a title, transitions, credits trailers and so on. You also have the capability to edit you photos from within iPhoto or iMovie.

Fotomagico 4 is another good app, but will cost you $89.99. And you can do the same thing in iMovie for free. In regards to image quality, if you start with good images, you can end with good quality slideshow. But if you start with poor quality low res pictures you can expect poor quality slideshows.

You can not take a 300 x 300 pixel jpg and expect it to look good at 1900 x 1200 pixel. But take a 3500 x 2500 down to 1900 x 1200 and it will look good. This is why I stand behind iMovie. As I also stated, Fotomagico 4 is a great app as well and I have used it as it came free with a program I purchased some years ago. It works well and does an equally good job. But I would not pay for it when iMovie is free and I love working with it.

Plus the fact iMovie integrates well with my other Apple & Adobe programs.

Glen Danielsen

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
Hi brother FireDept,
Thanks for your reply. I make my images on a newer iMac 27" using Photoshop Elements 10, using a high res. The images come out stunningly nice. I then make the slideshow in iMovie using a high def export setting. Image quality in many of the images is terrible with color banding. I've noticed others on the net mention a similar experience. (On the other hand, maybe they are making the same novice user mistake I am making!) I do like those features you mention, but image quality is the main job requirement.
Thanks again,

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi brother FireDept,
Thanks for your reply. I make my images on a newer iMac 27" using Photoshop Elements 10, using a high res. The images come out stunningly nice. I then make the slideshow in iMovie using a high def export setting. Image quality in many of the images is terrible with color banding. I've noticed others on the net mention a similar experience. (On the other hand, maybe they are making the same novice user mistake I am making!) I do like those features you mention, but image quality is the main job requirement.
Thanks again,

Have you consider Premiere Elements 12? You are already use to the Adobe interface, which will make it easy for you to pick up, and it will integrate well with Photoshop. I use PS CS6 & Premiere Pro CS6 for my more complicated editing projects and this allows me many more options than iMovie. You will have many more import and export options to maintain the high standards you are looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.