Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone finatic

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
iphone problem

hey guys my iphone wasnt dropped in water it was dropped in a glass of cokecola just half of it and i tried hard drying it and trying to get the coke out of the phone ididnt no what to do so thanks to everyones help on hear i can now turn it on and it works but when i leave it it some times turns off but al see how it goes in the future :)

capecod565

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Cape Cod
The dog's water dish

My iPhone just missed our dog's water dish the other day, Lucky me.

Had it out in the pouring rain getting a video of a spectacular storm, and managed to have my hand over it. Got the videos and out popped a rainbow. Lucky again,,,,,
Jane
:)

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Water usually isn't an issue. If you turn it off, dry it and let it sit in rice for a week it would be good (water). The Coke is huge issue because it's acidic and has sugars i it which will corrode the internals. Has happened a bunch here (Soda, alcohol, etc). So it might work now, but I have a feeling you might start losing functions of things. But best of luck.

I actually read, that if you drop it in something like that, you are to turn it off, rinse it out in water (to remove the sugars) and dry it, and put it in a bag of rice for a week.

Emdashes

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
NYC
This forum saved my iPhone!

I dropped it in the water on Tuesday, turned it off, dried off everything I could, and read this thread. I immediately took out the SIM card and, a few hours later when I was home, held it in front of a space heater for about ten minutes. Then I put it in a thin sock and put it in a bag of rice, in a sealed Ziploc bag, for four days.

On the fourth night (I chose the day at random--I was just trying to be restrained about trying to turn it back on), I put it, inside the sock and wrapped in a tea towel, on a thick bed of rice in a metal warming pan inside a maybe 150-degree oven--it was somewhere between off and the lowest available setting of 250 or something. I warmed it in the pan for about an hour, then turned off the oven and left it alone overnight.

This morning--a perfectly happy, perfectly functional iPhone! When I turned it off, I had a soupy screen that seemed like it was fading out. I didn't think I'd ever see it working again. But you guys saved it with your great advice. Thank you!!!

wilson21

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
arrrggg iphone in the toliet - help please

Can anyone offer any thoughts??

Last night I dropped my iphone in the toliet (clean water thank god) it was in there for about 3 seconds before I dragged it out.

I read up on the usual forums and went for the rice method. So got all the water out - none is visible in the phone. Quick blast with the hairdryer then into a thin pair of tights, into a bag of rice and on the radiator overnight.

Thing is I have read a lot of people saying they turned it off etc but as soon as my iphone came out of the toliet it was dead. I may have pressed the on button before realising this was a bad idea. But the screen was black straight away anyway and is still the same way this morning. I'm going to leave it another 24hrs but it was only in water for 3 secs and yet most people seem to have some life in the thing even if dodgey lines on the screen or error signs.

Has anyone else had a completely dead iphone after dropping it into water that has come back to life after a couple of days or should I just start the grieving counselling now? :(

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I dropped it in the water on Tuesday, turned it off, dried off everything I could, and read this thread. I immediately took out the SIM card and, a few hours later when I was home, held it in front of a space heater for about ten minutes. Then I put it in a thin sock and put it in a bag of rice, in a sealed Ziploc bag, for four days.

On the fourth night (I chose the day at random--I was just trying to be restrained about trying to turn it back on), I put it, inside the sock and wrapped in a tea towel, on a thick bed of rice in a metal warming pan inside a maybe 150-degree oven--it was somewhere between off and the lowest available setting of 250 or something. I warmed it in the pan for about an hour, then turned off the oven and left it alone overnight.

This morning--a perfectly happy, perfectly functional iPhone! When I turned it off, I had a soupy screen that seemed like it was fading out. I didn't think I'd ever see it working again. But you guys saved it with your great advice. Thank you!!!

Glad you got it working, but the 150+ degree heat probably messed up the battery for good. You should've taken it out before putting it in the oven. :(

DurnkPorduction

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
Agreed with the heat oven part, it's probably a better idea to keep it in a rice bag for 10 days than overheating it, it might also mess up some glued parts inside..

bogeybro

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
This Happened To Me..

When I dropped my Iphone in the pool, I jumped in and got it. I put it in a bowl of rice for 48 hours. When i took it after the 48 hours it worked perfectly.
As soon as i got it from the pool I turned it off completely and did not try to turn it on until it was ready from the bowl of rice.

hope this helps

streetpoet

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
please help

Dropped my iphone4 and it suddenly rolled into water. Everything is working fine except that i am not been able to talk or listen or hear without headphone. and ringer volume symbol always shows up on screen even when not in use....please help me what to do.

Deahysa

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Hi everyone. I just dropped my iphone 3gs in coffee and yes it had sugar and milk in it. I picked it up almost emediately and tried the blow drier. After that I went online and read that you should put the iphone on a coffee cup with rise and leave it there.

But what else can I do? I just got it a week ago and the worst is that my parents are going to kill me if they find out. Please help!

ippp

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
My iphone 4 was sitting on my arm rest on my couch, you guessed it the dog bowl of water was directly below it. I hit the phone and it landed perfectly in the bowl!! I quickly removed it and tried to tap all the water out of the headphone jack and the dock connector. I had a rubber case on it so it saved my phone a bit. I dried it the best I could with my heater and it seemed OK.

I then got a phone call and I couldn't hear the person on the other end! Then i knew the speaker was filled with water. I really really didn't want to open it because i knew there would be 100 tiny screws to remove. So I opened it and found out that the dock connector and headphone jack were sealed preventing water and dust doing inside. So the inside was dry :) So an hour later after watching a youtube video on how to pull it apart and put it back together the speaker still didn't work! So i dried it more with the heater and then eventually it worked. Now I noticed the home button didn't work!! So I opened it again and found out to get to the home button on the iPhone4 is a real %$##% bitch. So I put it back together and dried it some more. I got the home button working but every now and then i find myself having to press the home button more than once.

So the moral of the story is, do get a dog. Just kidding, the iP4 has protection on the headphone jack and dock connector. So if a bit on dust gets in there you can assume that it actually doesn't go inside.

Dinoco

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
I have a iPhone 3GS. On a vacation, I followed my kid when he ran into the swimming pool, not realizing that I have my iPhone in pocket. By the time I realized, the iPhone was in water for about 2 to 3 minutes. Came back to hotel room and dried with hair dryer. Did not try to turn on. Next day we were driving back for 250 miles so I put the iPhone on dash above the steering, and it was 95 deg temp outside. The iPhone was hot to touch there.

Drove another 450 miles the following day leaving the iPhone on dash on a hot day. Came home and out the iPhone in bag of rice for 2 days.

Tried connecting to power to charge it. It first showed the Apple logo and then asked for my passcode. Everything normal till this point. I enter the password and I get a screen to connect to iTunes and "Slide for Emergency" in different languages. I tried connecting to my PC and no show. I take it to Apple store and he looks at the jack hole and then he tries to recover by holding the home button and screen-off button, he selects the iOS and tries recovering. I see "preparing to recover" on his screen for a while and then it gives error "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred(1601)". He tells me the iPhone is done and that I need a new one. At no point I told him that I dropped the iPhone in water. Just told him that I left my iPhone with kids when I was on vacation.

Anyone know if I can recover the iPhone or its totally dead? It still shows connect to iTunes and slide for emergency when I connect to power. Anything else I can try?

tinner105

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
If your IPhone got wet

If your iphone got wet YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT APART.
Rice is a good start, but getting it apart is better.
Electricity and water dont like each other.
Corrosion starts almost right away, rice will help for a while but corrosion will take it toll eventually.
Here's somthing i send to people with wet iphones to help them try and repair them, themselves.

Here’s what you need to do.

Completely disassemble the phone.
Remove the main board
Remove the metal covers and clean up the main board.
Use either an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, or just a toothbrush and alcohol.
Use a magnifying glass to see where there is corrosion.
Pay attention to the LCD connector area, pins should be nice and shinny.
Check around the coil area, and the components next to it.
Like the 109b ic, it’s the small black square next to the coil.
There’s three solder points on both sides. The side closest to the outside gets corrosion between them and that can cause the backlight to not work.
Just because the water indicators are still white means nothing.
Look on the backside of the board too.
Water gets between the batters and the board, so clean the underside too.
Try cleaning it real good first. If no backlight, check the LCD.
Try your LCD assy. in another 3gs and vise versa. It could just be the LCD.
But clean the board no matter what.
If you need any other help contact me.
I sell the coils and the 109b ic’s if you need them.

tinner105@roadrunner.com

Kaitlyn567

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
PLEASE help!

I dropped my iPhone 3GS in the toilet Sunday morning at church.. It was in for about 10 seconds and of course I yanked it out (CLEAN water!). I dried it off with paper towels and tried turning it off. It kept turning itself back on and after about 3 times in stayed off. We had to go eat afterwards so there was no way for me to put it in rice right away. As soon as I got home I took out my SIM card and placed it in a bag of rice. I've tried turning it back on since then.. It comes on and is responsive BUT, it says "Let iPhone cool down before using"... It's definitely not hot. Please tell me it is not fried and there is something I can do.. I can't afford a new phone.

demonizdwolf

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
dropped iphone in water

I had my iphone in my back pocket and went to the bathroom. Then I felt it slip out of my hind pocket. Just to be clear the water was clear with disinfecting liquid. I tried to catch it as fast as I could but it was too late. I watched helplessly as it slipped in the toilet with a plop. During that instance, time slowed down. I acted on reflex and fished it out in two seconds, and when I did, it was still lit up, but as I lifted it to inspect it closer, the screen went black with a vibrate. I felt like it was the end of the world, everything seemed so delayed and slow. I tried to turn it back on like the idiot that I was, the camera flasher light blinked in the few times I turned it on, but the screen remained black. I did that a few times until that light won't even go on anymore. I looked up how to fix it and found this thread. Many of the tips were helpful.
Alright, getting to how I got it working again. First I set it next to my computer the night it happened all night. I tried turning it on again the next day to no avail. Then I left it to dry off the whole day. When I returned home, I continued the computer remedy, still with no progress. The water gradually evaporated from inside the camera lense and lense flash but that was about it. It came to a point the water droplets were completely gone. I tried turning it on but nothing. Getting impatient and desperate to save my phone, I remembered the oven. I turned my oven to the lowest setting-150 degrees, and cooked it for about 2 minutes, for I did not want to overcook it. Then I resorted to the light method. I turned on my lamp to full blast and set it as low as I could to the nightstand without touching it (farther distance recommended), then i put my phone under it without touching the lamp. That went on for 30 minutes or so, then I realized my phone might overheat, so I checked on it, it was burning. I got even more worried. When it cooled down, I unscrewed the bottom screws (not recommended) and took it apart. I dried the water droplets off the lithium battery and set it back near my comp. I gave up hope then when it was charged it worked strangely. It turned on, and works fine. Only thing different about it is that the screen flickers mildly when it's turned on but it's hardly noticeable.
Thank you all for giving tips on fixing an iphone. I am just so relieved that my phone works.
Good luck to you all who accidentally dropped your phones in water. Never give up hope.

Seriee

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
My iphone was in my pocket on a hike and my kiddo fell in the water. I had to jump in to get him. I live in Oregon and this happened about 5 days ago, so the water was absolutely freezing and my phone was completely submerged for about 30 seconds. It turned off fine and the screen was completely normal when I turned it off, although it took a few seconds to sence my finger because my hand was an ice cube! The strip y'all are talking about is half red half white and I haven't wanted to turn it back on incase its still wet. But I removed the sim card & holder then took my hair dryer and put it on the cool setting and did that for about 25 minutes with a 10 minute break half way thru, then I set it up right near a window that gets a lot of day time sun and now on the 5th day I have it sitting in a bowl of rice. I plan to turn it on after about ten days to make sure its completely dry, but any other methods that have worked real well for others, I'd like to hear about them, also is there a time limit to keeping it in the bowl of rice? or could I have it in there for the remaining five days?

asterizk

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Sarasota, Florida
My iphone was in my pocket on a hike and my kiddo fell in the water. I had to jump in to get him. I live in Oregon and this happened about 5 days ago, so the water was absolutely freezing and my phone was completely submerged for about 30 seconds. It turned off fine and the screen was completely normal when I turned it off, although it took a few seconds to sence my finger because my hand was an ice cube! The strip y'all are talking about is half red half white and I haven't wanted to turn it back on incase its still wet. But I removed the sim card & holder then took my hair dryer and put it on the cool setting and did that for about 25 minutes with a 10 minute break half way thru, then I set it up right near a window that gets a lot of day time sun and now on the 5th day I have it sitting in a bowl of rice. I plan to turn it on after about ten days to make sure its completely dry, but any other methods that have worked real well for others, I'd like to hear about them, also is there a time limit to keeping it in the bowl of rice? or could I have it in there for the remaining five days?

Seriee,

Harrowing story! I'd keep it in the rice for the next five days. Remember, the goal is to get it dried out as much as possible before turning it on again.

You didn't tell us how your kid fared! ;-)

dolfineer11

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
Does color of rice really matter?

Yes, I stupidly accidentally dropped my iphone in toilet for less than a second too. It had "otter" cover on it, which I immediately removed and dried off the iphone with paper towels. Iphone was still on, so figured out to power it off within a minute's time. Did not turn it back on, came to MacRumors to see what to do. I ran to store and bought long grain BROWN rice and a tupperware bowl, and put the phone in bowl sideways, got it in there within about 40 minutes.

So, I am now waiting...this is hour 3. Gonna be a really frickin long wait. But, some pages said wait 3 days, some say 1 day, some say 2 weeks. One of bloggers wrote it should be WHITE rice. And now I'm finally reading that most of the blogs on this page say put it in a plastic baggie (not tupperware bowl).

Is there anybody out there who really has tried this...does the color of the rice matter? Does it matter if in plastic baggie or tupperware bowl? I think I can handle 3 days but 2 weeks???? OUCH!!!! AND...please please please tell me where do you get those silica-gel pacs from? Only 24 hour store is a grocery store and they have no clue. I can't remember what packages of food to buy!!! lol

--Ok, a friend of mine reminded me that brown rice has the husks on them, and so not gonna absorb the water, won't do anything. SO I went back to grocery store in search of plain white rice. I am hoping that "Enriched Long Grain White Rice" doesn't have husks, b/c that, or instant rice, were the only options. My poor phone!!! :(

--IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!! Thanks you guys--wouldn't have known what to do without you. I ended up finally using instant rice and it was in there for two days. It works wonderfully now--no problems whatsoever. :D

Last edited:

Peebody

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
power button problem

I peed on my iphone and the power button didn't work. I took it to Apple store and he looked in there and said you dropped this in water. I said no i didn't, i peed on it. He replaced the data ribbon cable and now it works fine, but it still smells like pee.

brendi8

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Dropped iphone In water, Soaking in Rice, But..

I dropped my iphone in the toilet Saturday night, I dried it but left it on over night. The next day I put in rice, turned on. It worked but it kept turning on and off. So Later I decided to hook it up to the charger still in rice. Then I decided to turn it off. Its been off for a couple days, then Wednesday I decided to turn it on, but It wouldn't unless the charger was hooked on to it. So I tried to disconnect it from the charger but it would just turn off. It turns on only with charger on. I turned it off and put it back in rice. Not sure what to do next? I just want all my contacts and stuff from there but i also want it to turn on from now on with out a charger. Any Advice??? Please Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.