Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry first post went wrong. :-(

CivilizationV is due for release on the 21st September, is this date also for the the Mac edition?

If not does anybody know when the Mac edition will be released?

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Haven't heard of a mac version so far, I wouldn't expect one for at least another half a year considering Civ IV's mac performance.

Also, the specs are painfully high, particularly for the graphics card. My 2008 MBP is noticeably under the minimum for the graphics card.

See:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83251

Not even the latest MBPs score get Recommended. I suppose at least the game will look pretty... shame I'll barely be able to play it.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
There is no confirmation that I know of yet, but here is one tidbit:
The rep was noncommittal, as you might expect, but he did say that every single previous version of Civilization has eventually come to the Mac, and that Civ V would probably not be an exception. He didn't have a timeline, but given the recent arrivals in the world of Mac gaming, I'd guess that it'll be sooner rather than later.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Looking forward to this game. After discovering I can run LOTRO using Parallels this gives me relief that I can run CIV without boot camping.

Now, the only problem will be to reclaim my life after I load CIV5

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
The fact that CivV will be Steam-dependent means nothing as far as a launch date for a Mac version. You still need a developer to do the work of porting it to a Mac version, testing, QAing, ongoing maintenance via patches, etc. So far no company has come out and said they've partnered with Firaxis/2K et al to create a Mac version in time for launch day.

If and when it arrives, expect the Mac version to be a SteamPlay version (and hopefully free for Mac Steam users who purchased the PC version), but that when is still a big unanswered question.

mike in the STL

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
civ 5 terrain black?

I'm running (trying to) the PC version of Civ 5 on my imac with parallels. The terrain starts out ok then refreshes black. I messed with the video settings, no luck. Anyone encounter this?

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I've been giving the demo a go via vmware fusion on my 2007 imac. Graphics card is actually slightly below minimum spec, and I get odd graphic glitches sometimes. However, it seems if you are prepared to do without the fancy graphics, you can switch the game to what I think is called stategic mode or something like that, basically making it 2d. The game is then playable on older hardware, just not as pretty.

gamer417

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I have to get my hands on a copy of this, I used to play the Civilization games all the time. Can even remember back to the first one, gameplay and graphics was shocking in comparison now, haha.

Not heard much about the 5th release though, gonna hunt out some information :)

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Anyone else hoping the Mac release of Civ5 will be announced tomorrow?

Consider: we have the rumor, reportedly from a good source, that the release is coming very soon. If so, why keep quiet about it? I could understand keeping quiet closer to the Windows release, to avoid cannibalizing sales, but surely that ship has largely sailed by now and it's time to build up excitement for the Mac release.

What if Steve wants to talk about Mac gaming tomorrow? Mac gaming is clearly in a better place than it's been for over a decade. We know he likes to make big, meaningful announcements at these things. Maybe get someone from Blizzard on to talk about how Starcraft 2 is doing on the Mac, etc but it would be even better if he could get some big title(s) announced. And for 2K Games? Their budget for Civ5 Mac marketing is likely tiny, so giving the surprise over to Apple would have a huge impact on awareness compared to anything they could do themselves.

They've certainly done similar things multiple times at iOS events so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
What if Steve wants to talk about Mac gaming tomorrow?.

I hope he does - there have been a number of recent Steam milestones related to Mac gaming and they could really tout those ... I would love to see Mac gaming get featured the way iOS gaming does.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Just saw that Aspyr has announced Civ V coming to the Mac 'for the holidays'.

Not sure, but my general though is that Aspyr means no Steam, means buy twice ... means no Civ V on Mac for me :(

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007

Epsilon88

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2009
I was excited, but has anyone else found that they've developed Civilization fatigue? I've happily purchased numbers 2, 3, and 4, but this time around I've actually lost interest. :eek:

TheBadHatter

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Mac version vs. Win version in Bootcamp

Aw crap ... just as I got my hopes up :(

Since it looks like I'll need to make a choice between waiting for the Mac version of Civ V and buying the Win version to run on Bootcamp, does anyone have any recommendations on which would run better, based on other games that have been ported over?

Has anyone done a straight up comparison of other games available for both OSX and Win 7?

I'm new to gaming on a Mac, but just got the new 27" iMac w/ i7.

Catonow

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
USA
Since it looks like I'll need to make a choice between waiting for the Mac version of Civ V and buying the Win version to run on Bootcamp, does anyone have any recommendations on which would run better, based on other games that have been ported over?

Has anyone done a straight up comparison of other games available for both OSX and Win 7?

I'm new to gaming on a Mac, but just got the new 27" iMac w/ i7.

The performance differences are negligible, if any. More importantly, if you get the Mac version, you won't have to bother with Bootcamp, you can play within the superior, quicker-to-start-up Mac OSX environment.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Aspyr's Civ IV port sucked, though, and you often have to wait weeks for patches. I hope they include the PC version with the Mac version, like SupCom 2.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
No Fear

I was excited, but has anyone else found that they've developed Civilization fatigue? I've happily purchased numbers 2, 3, and 4, but this time around I've actually lost interest. :eek:

I've bought and played Civ, Civ II, Civ III, and Civ IV. I've played the Windows demo of Civ V. There's a lot to like in Civ V, but it seems to be fairly "bloodless" and lacking tension. Maybe I've just caught a case of Civ-fatigue after 20 years of playing it, but it V seems unexciting.

In the demo, even on the higher difficulties, I've won maybe 19 battles against the barbarians and lost one. I've had two or three barbarians attack my undefended city - cities can bombard now, and the barbarian just stood there until I bombarded it to death (about three turns).

I'm guessing they got a lot of feedback that players didn't want to invest a couple of hours in the early game, only to have their cities overrun by barbarians. But that tension and fear was one of the main attractions to me.

Epsilon88

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2009
Glad that I'm not the only one who's a little disappointed. It has gotten great reviews tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.