Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbhatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
I recently upgraded to Adobe photoshop CS5 and I have been getting an error while trying to save a PSD file. The error says that the file is in use and I can't save it. I end up creating another copy of the file under a different name. This is a frustrating problem because it creates confusion with multiple versions of one PSD file.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to solve it?

Thanks

tbhatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
It turns out the problem is that the Mac OS has the file open to create a preview of it. Below is one solution that might help, but if it doesn’t work the only other solution is to relaunch the finder.

Go to Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling
And underneath "image previews - Always save"
Make sure that "Icon" is UNCHECKED. It must be the case that this is conflicting with the Finder's own icon generation, hence the finder not "letting go" of the file.
If you look carefully in the background now when you are saving the file, the icon disappears momentarily and re-appears - which it did not do before.
The only side effect is that the icons in the finder now have a think white border

Here is the link to the forum discussing the problem. Adobe is claiming its an Apple problem and not offering much help.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2681220#2681220http://forums.adobe.com/message/2681220#2681220

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Similar to the solution you provided, I have found that I get the "file is in use" warnings when I have a Finder window open in "Column" mode, and the file I am attempting to overwrite is the highlighted file in the finder.

You are correct, it is an icon/thumbnail glitch. All I do is just deselect the file in the finder window and re-save.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.