Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elivmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I have the 15" Macbook Pro and it's only about a month old. Usually I use a USB mouse when I'm on it, about 90% of the time, however I'll occasionally use the trackpad when I'm laying in bed. Today the trackpad somehow managed to get stuck down, like it was permanently clicked and I wasn't able to really use it. I tried sliding paper through the edges to dislodge any foreign objects but that didn't help.

After awhile it got better, but it's still not working right. It's not longer stuck completely down, and the trackpad is usable. However, it's not clicking all the way down like it should and it's very sensitive, sorta like it's halfway clicked. Are there any solutions to this or am I going to have to take it to an Apple store?

Thanks

ToTo Man

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
I have the 15" Macbook Pro and it's only about a month old. Usually I use a USB mouse when I'm on it, about 90% of the time, however I'll occasionally use the trackpad when I'm laying in bed. Today the trackpad somehow managed to get stuck down, like it was permanently clicked and I wasn't able to really use it. I tried sliding paper through the edges to dislodge any foreign objects but that didn't help.

After awhile it got better, but it's still not working right. It's not longer stuck completely down, and the trackpad is usable. However, it's not clicking all the way down like it should and it's very sensitive, sorta like it's halfway clicked. Are there any solutions to this or am I going to have to take it to an Apple store?

Thanks

Mine just did this today. I don't know how because, like you, I very rarely use the trackpad, preferring an external bluetooth mouse. My pad won't click down on the left side. My only guess is that dust has jammed it. Did you manage to get yours fixed? I hope I don't need to take my laptop into the Apple store to get the trackpad replaced as I could do without the hassle.......

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Apple stores, if not TOO busy have been known to replace trackpads "while U wait" so it may not be too much hassle.
I`ve never liked the "click" on the trackpad much anyway, mine has always felt really stiff and unresponsive TBH. One of my first jobs was switching on "tap to click".
Never clicked the pad since...

ToTo Man

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Apple stores, if not TOO busy have been known to replace trackpads "while U wait" so it may not be too much hassle.
I`ve never liked the "click" on the trackpad much anyway, mine has always felt really stiff and unresponsive TBH. One of my first jobs was switching on "tap to click".

Having read some more posts it seems the battery might be the culprit? Would the Geniuses replace a battery "while U wait" or is this a more complex procedure?

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Having read some more posts it seems the battery might be the culprit? Would the Geniuses replace a battery "while U wait" or is this a more complex procedure?

Again, like the trackpad, if they have time and you get a "nice Genius" you may well get it replaced there and then.
Avoid weekends like the plague though, Apple stores are a nightmare during the weekend in my experience.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010

wow didnt even realize there was this option in the system preference, thanks! just got my mbp a couple days ago, 1st mac ;)

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Its a slim chance it is your battery on a month old Mac, the trackpads dont click at the top because this is where they hinge...did you know this? They only click at the bottom to about 3/4 way up with the bottom being very easy to click.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
They replaced my trackpad in about 2 hours and for free -- even though it was out of warranty. I'll keep buying a ton of apple products with service like this. And trackpad problems are a 'known' issue. Get it fixed.

ToTo Man

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Having been ill for the past week, and consequently not using my MBP much during this time, the problem with the lower left section of my trackpad has improved, so perhaps the problem is indeed a swollen battery as I haven't done anything else different apart from having the MBP powered up for a less amount of time (I'm still using the external keyboard and mouse)....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.