Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Weird that Wired said a Brazlian guy found it, and the OP of this thread is from New Zealand.

Amazing how you both found the exact same bug.. even down to the ###

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
This bug works on my iPhone 4. I got stuck in my phone app though and almost had to reboot but then discovered that double-clicking the home button brings you back to the lock screen.

ChriswilliamsUk

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Uk
Damn,

just tryed this exploit on my iphone 4 non jb aon 4.1 and yes it works, but when trying to email the contact it doenst send it but instead leaves it in the outbox as an unsent email so it wouldnt email on the details so thats not as bad, tryed to text a contact wouldnt do it, but as people are saying its been fixed in 4.2 so nw only a few weeks then boom gone

robsall

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Chicago, IL
can't replicate on 3Gs

I've tried numerous times to replicate on a 3Gs and can't seem to get it. Just continues to lock the screen.

GollumBoy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2010
Chesterfield, UK
This is OLD news - well nearly

I spotted a similar bug back in July last year when I accidentally blocked myself out of my iPhone 3GS, so couldn't make calls/listen to music.

Here is my apple bug report:

Summary:
If you disable the iphone due to incorrect passcode multiple times the iPhone will disable. Using voice control activated by the earphones voice control starts and let you control the iPhone - call/dial numbers, play music etc.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Add a passcode to the iPhone
2. Incorrectly enter it to disable iPhone
3. Plug in Apple Earphones with Microphone - hold down the play button to activate voice control
4. Speak a command.

Expected Results:
Voice control to not activate as it does not when holding home button.

Actual Results:
Voice control activates to control the iPhone.

Regression:
Was working on iPhone latest version as of July 2009 and 4.1 Beta 1 still has this problem. Not tested Beta 2 yet.

Apple seriously need to address this issue.

hglk

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Utah, USA
I find myself being able to use voice control while I have a password set right from the lockscreen. Is that a flaw as well??

GollumBoy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2010
Chesterfield, UK
I find myself being able to use voice control while I have a password set right from the lockscreen. Is that a flaw as well??

Same for me, strange, my previous post only made it work via the earphones IF the iphone is "blocked" but if not blocked the home button will do it normally.

djhash

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
That's a nice find. I just found that you can take screenshots of contacts. Not that it's of any use, since you wont be able to send it to anyone.

edit: I take that back, choose a contact, then choose "share contact", then you get to choose email or mms. Select MMS. Then you can the camera icon you can select "existing photo" and attach the screenshot of the contact list and send it wherever.

You can select email, but I can't get to add attachments.

Edit: You can edit the info in the contact list. Add remove favorites, manage groups, change voicemail greeting.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
Oh great, its back again ...

There have been similar flaws in the past related to the locked dialer that allows the user to make calls/etc.

hglk

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Utah, USA
That's a nice find. I just found that you can take screenshots of contacts. Not that it's of any use, since you wont be able to send it to anyone.

edit: I take that back, choose a contact, then choose "share contact", then you get to choose email or mms. Select MMS. Then you can the camera icon you can select "existing photo" and attach the screenshot of the contact list and send it wherever.

You can select email, but I can't get to add attachments.

Edit: You can edit the info in the contact list. Add remove favorites, manage groups.

And that way you have access to the iPhone owner's Photos as well!!

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
You can get around a lot of things when it is locked, holding down the home button to activate voice control and then say what you want to do. They should address that as well.

altMotiv

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
other devices

Works on 4.0 with 3GS and my iP4 with 4.2 beta...might this issue be universal even before 4.0?? with all devices??

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
"You're locking it wrong. "

but in case you're locking it right,

"Other phones have this issue too! "

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Same here..non jailbroken 3GS w/ OS 4.1 Build 8B117 - voice control is also enabled after unlocking the phone book and photos. Not a big deal for me as I "Never" lose my phone...but if I did, I'd be ticked :rolleyes:

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

This has been fixed on 4.2 beta 3

Til then just don't lose your phone I guess..

pmanija

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
Lithuania
Interesting, could some one try to visit some kind a web site (just Add new contact: "http://www.jailbrekme.com") and try to "Call it"... or try accessing any preferences, add contact "prefs://1f"

Remembers me the good old 1.1.2 jailbreak days...

D'Illusion

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I always double tap the home button when in lock mode to access the iPod when driving. Hope :apple: don't see this as a flaw and get rid of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.