Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Hi all,
I just got the new version of handbrake this morning with the intent of ripping a few concert DVDs which I have avoided until support for chapter markers was added. I ripped with the "add chapter markers" option checked and took the first three chapters as a test. I opened the resulting movie in Quicktime (not qtpro) and did not see anything implying chapters anywhere. I also imported into iTunes and did not see chapters listed anywhere. Can someone help me understand where the chapter markers are found? Also, does handbrake get the actual name of the chapters somehow, or does it just numerically split them apart? Finally, does the iPod support using chapter markers for movie navigation? If that is the case, I see myself doing a lot of re-ripping in the future!

One last question, I noticed this version supports 5.1 surround. How exactly does that work? Will this play as a standard 5.1 surround track on the apple tv? do i need to do something else to get full movie quality surround out of the apple tv? that is one reason why i don't want an appletv right now - i need surround! :) also, will an ipod be able to play a movie that has 5.1 encoding and just downconvert it to stereo? or do i need two separate rips? please help!!

Thanks

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I do know the chapters work great on my iPod. As for on QT, afaik, if you have the movie on full screen (through QTP or iTunes) then the chapters are with the on screen display that you get when you move your mouse.
I can't confirm this at the moment as all my movies are on an external, but I've seen something extra on that menu.
For sound I kow nothing about it, so can't help you.

As an aside, I find the latest beta leaves the movies a little dark, so I'm waiting for a till full release before I rip my disks.

bsaint9

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
Solution

I had the same problem. Just change the extension on the Handbrake produced .mp4 file to a .m4v extension and you will then have chapters in Quicktime and FrontRow. Curiously, iTunes seems to recognize chapters in the normal .mp4?

Hi all,
I just got the new version of handbrake this morning with the intent of ripping a few concert DVDs which I have avoided until support for chapter markers was added. I ripped with the "add chapter markers" option checked and took the first three chapters as a test. I opened the resulting movie in Quicktime (not qtpro) and did not see anything implying chapters anywhere. I also imported into iTunes and did not see chapters listed anywhere. Can someone help me understand where the chapter markers are found? Also, does handbrake get the actual name of the chapters somehow, or does it just numerically split them apart? Finally, does the iPod support using chapter markers for movie navigation? If that is the case, I see myself doing a lot of re-ripping in the future!

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

One last question, I noticed this version supports 5.1 surround. How exactly does that work? Will this play as a standard 5.1 surround track on the apple tv? do i need to do something else to get full movie quality surround out of the apple tv? that is one reason why i don't want an appletv right now - i need surround! :) also, will an ipod be able to play a movie that has 5.1 encoding and just downconvert it to stereo? or do i need two separate rips? please help!!

Thanks

The whole 5.1 thing threw me off too, but from what I understand quicktime does not yet support 5.1 audio, so handbrake (if you pick the apple tv preset) keeps a 5.1 audio track in there in case of an update from apple, and also includes a downsampled dolby pro logic track.

This was one of my big gripes before I took the Apple TV Plunge but I'm pleasantly surprised that the pro logic track doesn't sound that bad. It's not perfect 5.1 but it's not 2 channel stereo either.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The whole 5.1 thing threw me off too, but from what I understand quicktime does not yet support 5.1 audio, so handbrake (if you pick the apple tv preset) keeps a 5.1 audio track in there in case of an update from apple, and also includes a downsampled dolby pro logic track.

This was one of my big gripes before I took the Apple TV Plunge but I'm pleasantly surprised that the pro logic track doesn't sound that bad. It's not perfect 5.1 but it's not 2 channel stereo either.

Actually, using 5.1 on Handbrake gives you just the 5.1 track. Quicktime is the one downmixing 5.1 to pro logic for you (in this case). If you tell Handbrake to downmix it to stereo, it will downmix to pro logic.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
One last question, I noticed this version supports 5.1 surround. How exactly does that work?

You can get 5.1 discrete channels (AAC) or encode Dolby Pro Logic II, which is supported by many receivers. Right now, DPLII is really the only viable option for the Apple TV. DPLII encodes 5 channels (R, L, C, Rs, Ls) in the two stereo lines. If you have your Apple TV connected to a receiver that can decode the DPLII signal, then you will get all 5 channels. (If you have a DPLI receiver, it will decode the Rs and Ls as mono surround.) It does not do the LFE (bass) since it is not supported by the DPLII algorithm. If you have a 5.1 receiver, you'll still get a nice bass signal from it, but not as good as genuine 5.1 (such as Dolby Digital or DTS).

DaniloMisura

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
About Dolby Pro Logic I and II

You can get 5.1 discrete channels (AAC) or encode Dolby Pro Logic II, which is supported by many receivers. Right now, DPLII is really the only viable option for the Apple TV. DPLII encodes 5 channels (R, L, C, Rs, Ls) in the two stereo lines. If you have your Apple TV connected to a receiver that can decode the DPLII signal, then you will get all 5 channels. (If you have a DPLI receiver, it will decode the Rs and Ls as mono surround.) ...

I know it's not the ideal place to do my answer, but I'm searching the internet allthe day and I found what I wanted only here.
Cave Man said above that, If I have a Dolby Pro Logic I receiver, it WILL decode a Dolby Pro Logic II encoded source (only thing is that it will mix the right and left surround signal into mono, as DPLI has only mono surround - although many DPLI receivers have two surround speaker outputs).
I wanted to confirm that information. Can you Cave Man, or someone else, confirm this to me? Did anyone played DPLII encoded content through an old DPLI receiver?
I want know cause I have a DPLI receiver but don't have the surround speakers (neither the central speakers), only the left and right speakers, working only in stereo mode. Now I'm going to connect it to a Nintendo Wii, that has surround sound encoded in Dolby Pro Logic II, and before I spend my money buying new surround speakers to this old system, I want to know if it is worth doing it, if my DPLI receiver will right decode the surround signal (although mono) or not.
Thanks for the attention!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Some of the info in this thread is outdated at this point. If your receiver supports AC3 (How most DVDs store their 5.1 audio tracks), then you can use the AC3 passthrough option in Handbrake now to get surround. The Apple TV supports passing AC3 onto the receiver via HDMI and Optical.

As for your specific question regarding the Wii, I'm not sure.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Some of the info in this thread is outdated at this point. If your receiver supports AC3 (How most DVDs store their 5.1 audio tracks), then you can use the AC3 passthrough option in Handbrake now to get surround. The Apple TV supports passing AC3 onto the receiver via HDMI and Optical.

As for your specific question regarding the Wii, I'm not sure.
Its worth noting that the current HB nightlies include the ability to Encode non ac3 tracks to AC3 ... as in the case of a dts source track.

DaniloMisura

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Please, someone who can, answer the question I made on post #10! I digged this thread, found it on Google, because I was trying to know if:

If I have an old Dolby Pro Logic I receiver,
will it decode Dolby Pro Logic II encoded source?​

(Although with mixed right and left surround, as Pro Logic I has mono surround)

I know it's not the ideal place to make this question, but as Cave Man touched the subject, I'm just keeping on it.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.