Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

storkman14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2010
I have laboriously gone through and culled my address book contacts on my mac, and wish to replace all the contacts on my iphone with my newly "trimmed" contacts in my mac address book. However when I connect the iphone to the mac, it does sync but the contacts do not seem to be changing at all?

I have the "sync address book contacts" checkbox ticked in iTunes.

Please can someone tell me why my iphone is not being updated to match what is on my mac?

storkman14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2010
I have done this, but it is still not working. I notice that when I do tick the "replace information on this iPhone - contacts" and then sync, the sync theoretically happens, but when complete that box then unticks itself.

Not sure if that means anything, but thought I'd mention it.

There just doesn't seem to be any communication between the mac contacts and itunes and the iphone contacts. On iTunes info tab in the "sync address book contacts" there is a option for either "all contacts" or "selected groups". I have "all contacts" selected. But it was my understanding that if I create a new group on my mac contacts, this should be displayed in itunes in the box under "selected groups" in itunes. Well it doesn't. When I created a dummy group on my mac address book, it doesn't show up in the itunes selected group box.

Any other ideas?

lorifinoz

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
I'm having the same issue. It seems that iTunes is not syncing with Address Book. For example, I renamed a group in Address Book, yet the old name still shows as an option under "Selected Groups" in the Sync Address Book Contacts box. In addition, a new group I've added doesn't appear as an option at all.

Intofotos

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I'm having the exact same issues between my iMac, iPhone & iPad. They all used to work fine and sync correctly now I'm just getting the same as above.

storkman14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2010
address book contacts not syncing with iphone

Just an update for you all.

I contacted apple-care and had no luck (after 2hrs on phone they ended the conversation with "we've never seen this before, we'll do some research and get back to you"). That was 2 mths ago and I've not heard back so I assume they're still researching???

Anyway I discovered my next door neighbor is a mac wiz (never knew this until the other week) and he fixed it in about 5 minutes. Here is what he did (so he says):

* Make sure iPhone is not also trying to sync contact from another source (like Exchange, Google mail, etc..)
* Plug iPhone in to computer and turn off contact syncing then sync again
* Disconnect iPhone
* Quit Address book, iTunes, iCal etc..
* go to (user home folder)/Library/Application Support/AddressBook and move all the contents of that folder with the EXCEPTION of the Metadata folder to your desktop (in case you need to restore them).
* open iSync from your applications, go to Preferences, and click reset Sync History.
* Reopen AddressBook
* Connect iPhone to iTunes and set up your iPhone to sync contacts as you want them.

I hope this helps everyone - it worked for me!

birdnest

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Worked for me too!

Our family iMac stopped syncing with my wife's iPhone (I sync with my MBP) and our new iPad. These directions helped me get things back in order. So HUGE thank you!!! :D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
on the itunes settings under the info tab on the bottom, I think you need to check replace info on iPhone and then check contacts also?

AHA! I just bought an iPod Touch 4G and was going crazy trying to figure out how to sync the contacts. I had managed to get everything else sync'd, but the contacts eluded me. I found this thread via an Mroogle search.

cookiemom

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Syncing ADDRESS BOOK to iPhone

This may be stating the obvious - but I sure never figured it out. In Address Book, if you sync certain contact groups (instead of all), only the contacts that have been assigned to those groups will sync. Any contacts that are not assigned to a group in Address Book will not show up on your iPhone if you sync a select list of groups.

Perhaps you can add all contacts to a group named "All" as a quick fix, instead of taking the time to categorize a large contact list.

I hope this will help. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

aloprest

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Thank you storkman14! I've been all over the Internet looking for a solution to my contacts not syncing - your fix worked for me tooooooo!!!

Last edited:

garymacrumors

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Thanks storkman 14

I am a converted PC user and yesterday was the first time I felt that Mac let me down. Lost all my contacts on iPhone for the day. Found your suggestion last night and quickly restored. THANKS! Although Mac should have a "troubleshoot" for this, the mac community saved me!

i&eman

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Thank you

Storkman,

Thank you very much for the help. Like everyone else, I was having problems making a complete sync of my address book with my iphone and ipad.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Debgo

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
address book contacts not syncing with iphone

Storkman 14 and others: I registered to try to find a fix for the same problem. I am soooo frustrated. However, your neighbor's fix is over my head. Any suggestions? Debgo

* Make sure iPhone is not also trying to sync contact from another source (like Exchange, Google mail, etc..)
* Plug iPhone in to computer and turn off contact syncing then sync again
* Disconnect iPhone
* Quit Address book, iTunes, iCal etc..
* go to (user home folder)/Library/Application Support/AddressBook and move all the contents of that folder with the EXCEPTION of the Metadata folder to your desktop (in case you need to restore them).
* open iSync from your applications, go to Preferences, and click reset Sync History.
* Reopen AddressBook
* Connect iPhone to iTunes and set up your iPhone to sync contacts as you want them

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm having this issue, but with MobileMe.

I have 98 contacts in Address Book but only 86 show up on my iPhone. The contacts that don't show up have names and numbers.

rubyreddevon

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Worked for me.

Thanks Storkman. Your solution did it for me. Does your neighbour have a handle? He needs to be congratulated.:)

AntonKoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Apple is still not perfect

I had the same issue as storkman 14 with my new 4S. Ergo sum Apple hasn't fixed the problem since storkman called in last year.

I even tried the additional step of un-ticking the contact sync function in iTunes and had a message come back asking if I wanted to remove previously synched contacts, which I did and it did wipe the 4S clean. Reloading / re-synching the contact data did not bring back better contact data. Even with a couple closings of address book and iTunes along with disconnection. I did not try rebooting the 4S.

Storkman's neighour's solution worked perfectly.

jaileer

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
Storkman's method did not work for me - or at least i thought it didn't. Turns out I had a different issue entirely.

My (brand new) iPhone 4S had, unbeknownst to me, created 3 groups:

All Contacts
From my Mac
All iCloud

My iCloud contacts were apparently synced from my iPad when i set up iCloud, before I cleaned up the address book. I didn't realize this so I was looking in All Contacts which showed a bunch of garbage contacts I didn't want that were being pulled from iCloud. Once I figured out what was going on, I simply deleted all of my contacts on iCloud and my problem disappeared.

Also important: I'm using Snow Leopard. I believe Lion would have synced my cleaned up address book directly to iCloud preventing the entire problem.

jai

bchicago

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Fixed

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I could not figure out that method that is working but I found a work-around. I am trying to get the contacts from my macbook to sync to my new unlocked iphone 4.

I couldn't find "isync" on my mac and it was driving me crazy. So I opened "Address Book" and exported my contacts to a file. Then I went to gmail and imported the contacts. In itunes I selected "Sync Google Contacts" and then synced my phone and it worked!! Even synced the photos I had attached to each person.

Inkling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
A Fix involving Groups

The fix suggested above didn't work for me, perhaps because I have Lion, which apparently doesn't have iSync.

What did work was discovering that moving to Lion had created, without my permission (Lion does a lot of things without our permission), a new group called iCloud, assigning all my contacts to it.

For my 3GS, that wasn't a problem. It's running iOS 5 and synchs nicely through iCloud. But my 3G can't run iOS 5 or iCloud. With no contacts in my All on My Mac group, there was nothing to synch and an empty Contacts database where one had once existed.

The fix was to select all my contacts with Edit-Select All and then drag them to the On My Mac group. That puts them in both groups. One group (apparently) synchs with my 3G via USB and the other with my 3GS via iCloud. It's clumsy, but it works, although I'll probably have to make sure new contacts are placed in both groups.

This probably illustrates a major difficulty with Apple's testing procedures. They and most of their elite circle of beta testers run the latest gear and the latest OS/iOS. Few are mixing old and new versions of OS X and iOS. There wasn't the slightest problem with my 3GS, which is still supported and running the latest OSs. There was a major problem with my 3G with my iMac running Lion. An iPhone without a contact list is almost worthless.

bladerunner69

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Yes same trouble with AddressBook contacts.
Add to duplicate also (may be share with GoogleCalendar ?) but this is 2 distinct calendars and any change done on one is not reported automatically, grr..

What is strange is that iCal calendar saved in iCloud do appear in iTunes and may sync with iPhone 3G :)

But why this difference ?

Doug Bruce

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
How do I find the folder?

Yes I know I will sound stupid, but I've not had to navigate my way to a system folder like this ((user home folder)/Library/Application Support/AddressBook) before . I can't seem to find it. What am I missing?
Cheers and thanks,
Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.