Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Can I transfer movies to my USB drive to plug into the USB port on my tv and watch the movie? What format would be necessary to do that, if possible?

ermoore

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
That USB drive is for software updates for the TV and other developer needs.

You cannot plug a USB drive into your tv directly and play video.

You can plug in a USB to an Xbox 360 or a PS3 and watch the videos.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Ugh!

Thanks. I was hoping that would be a simple fix. Oh well....

PRvideoGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
multimedia hard drives

You could also try a multimedia hard drive like the Western Digital TV Live (WDTV Live) or Lacinema Mini HD. Both are external hard drives, and contain the necessary hardware to play video files on the a TV via HDMI or composite (Yellow, Red, White). They are built to play just about any video format - from H.264 mp4 & divx/xvid avi (common formats) to many AVCHD varieties (odd/rarer formats & some home movies).

According to the Lacinema product page:
"AVI, MP4, MKV, WMV, DivX, DAT, MOV**, MPEG, VOB, ASF, TS, TP, TRP, M2TS, DVR-MS, DVD-Video (ISO, Video_TS)***, AVC/AVCHD (a majority of AVC/AVCHD formats have been tested and are compatible)."

I have the Lacinema Mini HD, and it rocks!

Lacinema Mini HD ~$200
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10461

WDTV Live ~$130
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
That USB drive is for software updates for the TV and other developer needs.

You cannot plug a USB drive into your tv directly and play video.

You can plug in a USB to an Xbox 360 or a PS3 and watch the videos.
Not true. Because the OP gave neither his brand or model TV, there is no way to know if he can play a video through his USB port. My LG 32LE5400 LED HDTV can directly display photographs or video stored on a USB drive.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Here's what the specs say:

Model of TV is Vizio SV370XVT. The specs say that it has a "multimedia and Service" USB. Underneath that is listed: " Music(MP3), Video (MPG) and Photo (JPEG). So, correct me if I am wrong about this, but to me this means that I could put music on a USB flash drive and play it through my tv if it is in a MP3 format, play a movie, if it is in MPG format or view pictures that are JPG. Is this correct?

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Model of TV is Vizio SV370XVT. The specs say that it has a "multimedia and Service" USB. Underneath that is listed: " Music(MP3), Video (MPG) and Photo (JPEG). So, correct me if I am wrong about this, but to me this means that I could put music on a USB flash drive and play it through my tv if it is in a MP3 format, play a movie, if it is in MPG format or view pictures that are JPG. Is this correct?

There's a simple way to find out! BTW, if 'MPG' is more likely to mean mpeg-2, or failing that mpeg-1, than mp4. And there's miles per gallon I suppose...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Lacking evidence to the contrary, I must agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.