Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I've set up my photo library to stream to my Apple TV via home sharing. This worked fine with the existing photos.

However, I've recently added several new folders of photos (within the "Photos" directory that I specified in iTunes). However, these new folders do not appear on the Apple TV.

Is it possible that the Apple TV / iTunes never checks for new content after the photos folder is specified? If so, that's a major drawback.

I've been frustrated by a few aspects to the photo streaming (only allowing a single subfolder structure, no way to sort by date, somewhat slow to load initially)...but this makes the whole photo component nearly useless for those who regularly add new photos from their digital camera (that's most of us, right?).

Unless I'm missing something?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Go into Itunes Preferences and click on Sharing. I think that is where you select what particular folders from iPhoto you want to share with the Apple TV. You can also choose to share the entire iPhoto Library. I bet you only have certain folders selected so the new ones you add aren't shared. Just my guess.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I'm not at home so can't check myself. I have been meaning to check to see if it automatically picks up new photos. The folder shouldn't be an issue since it is under the root photos folder you included. If you go to settings on the atv and go to the section where you selected your computer to source photos, I think there is a sync option there. Maybe you have to hit that everytime you change your photos. I know the first time I selected my photos it did a sync.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I'm using an Apple TV 2 with a iTunes 10.01 on a Windows 7 PC. In iTunes, there is a selection called "Choose Photos to Share" under the the "Advanced" menu. You're given the option to share photos from a single primary folder -- in my case, this is called "Photos." Then beneath this you can select "All Folders" or "Selected Folders." I've chosen the "All Folders" option. There are no other options on this screen.

My photos are organized into a single level of subfolders with names based on the event and date. (I did have these organized by year as well, but since the Apple TV will not recognize a two+ level folder structure, I reorganized everything.)

So when I dump in new photos from my digital camera, they appear in a new folder within the "Photos" folder that iTunes is supposed to be watching. However, the folder list on my Apple TV does not change--no new photos appear there. All of the previous photos show up fine, just nothing new.

I don't see any other options either in iTunes or on the Apple TV 2 that have anything to do with the photo library.

Is anyone getting new photos to appear in their Apple TV 2 library? Can someone else test this?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry didn't realize you were on Windows. I thought you were talking about iPhoto on a Mac. I haven't had any problems with iPhoto and the ATV recognizing new photos but I haven't tried just using a regular folder on my Mac. Sounds like a bug to me.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I am also on windows 7 and gave this a try tonight. I added photos to an existing folder and added a folder, all under the main folder I chose in the atv2 settings to use in the screensaver.

Neither case auto synced with the atv2, but I was able to go into settings and reselect my photos folder from my computer and it forced a sync each time. So if you don't mind a few button clicks every time you add photos then you are fine. I didn't leave it for an extended period of time, it is possible it will sync once a day or something like that, but i doubt it.

This behavior is the same as the previous atv, you had to sync photos with the old atv every time you added photos if you wanted them to show up.

So it doesn't look like it will do it automatically for you, but there is a way to sync them as needed.

amcoffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for testing that out...at least I know that nothing is wrong with my set-up, though this seems like a significant oversight by Apple.

Does anyone know if Adobe Photoshop Elements still integrates or interacts with the Apple TV? I seem to recall Apple recommending Elements for PC users with the first Apple TV. Anyone know if using Elements improve things at all?

hyndman

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
I have the same issue and if you check the forum threads you will find that this appears to be a bug. It may be iTunes related as when I select folders to share to the ATV2 then these albums are not in the list.

We may need to hope this is fixed in next iTunes release.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Not sure if the OP is experiencing the same issue as in the other post linked above. Seems like OP wants ATV2 to automatically sync new content, but you should be able to force sync it as I instructed above. Does the force sync work for you amcoffin?

Don't know if it still supports PSE, I used to use it and the integration worked well, but stopped using it because PSE was too slow for managing my large photo collection on a network drive.

hyndman

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
Not sure if the OP is experiencing the same issue as in the other post linked above. Seems like OP wants ATV2 to automatically sync new content, but you should be able to force sync it as I instructed above. Does the force sync work for you amcoffin?

Don't know if it still supports PSE, I used to use it and the integration worked well, but stopped using it because PSE was too slow for managing my large photo collection on a network drive.

OP and PSE. Could you advise what you mean by these acronyms.

hyndman

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
San Diego
Looks as if with the itunes 10.1 release this is now at least displaying the additional folders. There is still a small issue in that the folder list is not displayed correctly alphabetically. ;)

PlanBe

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
How to get New iPhoto Albums to appear on Apple TV 2

I've recently added several new folders of photos (within the "Photos" directory that I specified in iTunes). However, these new folders do not appear on the Apple TV.

Go into iTunes, select the "Advanced" menu, select "Choose photos to share", then select the new photo albums you created in iPhoto. They will then appear on you aTV2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.