Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Hey guys. My rev C 17" and my rev A that I sold both have this problem, as does my lady's 12" rev C PB. We use them mostly in clamshell mode, but sometimes they won't wake up. Like, I use it at work, unplug everything, get it home, and open it up, and nothing. It's running, but nothing on the screen. It won't go back to sleep when I close it, either. I have to hold the power button down until it shuts off.

It seems to have something to do with plugging in monitor/keyboard/mouse and unplugging them while the lid is down. It seems that Apple's had over a year to fix this issue and has failed to do so. I don't have the problem as much as I used to if I do things in a certain order, but I don't feel this should be necessary.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Any workarounds?

Steve

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I get this occasionally on my 15” PB. I always try the obvious first: turning up the brightness. :p If the screen doesn’t come on, I shut the lid and wait for the white pulsating sleep light to come on. After that, I open the lid – everything magically comes back to life. I have no idea what the issue is, but that fix has always worked for me.

darkwing

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
dotnina said:
I get this occasionally on my 15” PB. I always try the obvious first: turning up the brightness. :p If the screen doesn’t come on, I shut the lid and wait for the white pulsating sleep light to come on. After that, I open the lid – everything magically comes back to life. I have no idea what the issue is, but that fix has always worked for me.

I've tried your suggestion before, and it worked. My girlfriend said hers never comes back even after 5 minutes. Next time it happens to me I'll time it and see.

I think you might be onto something -- it wakes up on the external monitor and thinks it doesn't need ot turn the LCD on.

Steve

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
I'm having the same issue with my 17" PB. If I close it again, it never comes back on. I've done this accidentally (open and close without realizing it) and I'll come back to it later, and it'll be off but waaay hot, like the CPU is still running, but since it's closed, it can't vent the heat.

I'm open to any suggestions. I've yet to find a resolution.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.