Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raphael96

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
So, my 60G Ipod is dead and I want to get a comparable model, but the Mac buyer guide on this site says NOT to get the Ipod Classic because its overdue for a newer version.

Does anybody know what its coming out??

Thanks!

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
the ipod event happened in Setptember so they probably will not release an knew ipod classic but rather keep it the way it is.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Possibly when memory prices drop enough to convert to SSDs.

You can get 160GB for $249. The biggest iPod touch for that price is 8GBs, or 32GBs if you stretch the price a little. That's a long ways from 160GB of storage.

Current iPod touch prices:
  • 8GB --> $229
  • 32GB --> $299
  • 64GB --> $399

Next year's guess:
  • 16GB --> $229
  • 64GB --> $299
  • 128GB --> $399

Still, the current Classic offers more storage space at 160GBs for $249.

Apple can continue to offer the Classic with no new overhead so IMHO it makes sense to continue to offer the Classic. Maybe next year we'll see a cheaper flash based model in conjunction with a HDD model. Then the following year, all flash.

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
i see no reason why they would need to update the classic. The iPod classic is meant to be a strict audio/video device with alot of storage, and it's current offering does that perfectly. The only thing I could *possibly* see them do to improve the iPod classic is to keep the size the same and increase the screen slightly, or improve video battery life. Built in radio would be cool as well. Nothing else I can think of. If you are in need of a new iPod, I would seriously recommend the iPod classic. It also makes a great portable external drive.

glas0203

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
Maybe flash memory? No moving parts, no issues that are with HDD. That definitely would slim it down too..not that I think it should be....Just sayin

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
i was really hoping September would've brought a 64GB flash storage version of the Classic at around $250. I woulda bought it in a heartbeat. Radio would seal the deal. I really hope they don't abandon the classic for the iPod touch. I just want a music player! I know they still offer the Classic now, i'm just not in the market yet, and I hope that a few years down the line, when i am in the market, that there will be an option for me that won't include a touch screen, wifi and iOS to drive up the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.