Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
How much do you all think apple is going to charge for OS lion upgrade?

Most importantly, how much are you all willing to pay for it?
I hope it's not 129 dollars like it was from tiger to leopard. I hope they offer nice discount to early buyers like MS does. I would say 49 dollars would be reasonable. If it is more than 70 dollars, then I will wait.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Snow Leopard was a special case, but Apple has been showing a trend of decreasing prices on some of their consumer software. I think $99 would be fairly surprising, while $79 would be absolutely amazing, considering this is a release with significant new features most likely (considering their pattern). Even if you don't care for the features they showed off, chances are something in there will be more significant to you.

Of course, I've learned in the last few years never to assume Apple's going to do what I expect, because they've been really shaking up their previous strategies in a lot of areas. So, I won't really be shocked if they do go cheaper. Somewhat surprised, still, however.

jW

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Give the fact that iLife 11 upgrade costs 49 dollars and Snow leopard costs 29 dollars to upgrade. I hope apple will price it between 49 to 99 dollars for OS lion upgrade...
One can hope.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It wouldn't make any sense to price it over $99 because people could just buy the developer program and get lion when it's released.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
It wouldn't make any sense to price it over $99 because people could just buy the developer program and get lion when it's released.
Then why was Leopard priced at 129 dollars?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
idk. tho i think im gana wait for a new mac that releases near lions release date so it comes preinstalled. i hope they have a big macbook update then. so if it is 100$ i can use that and my student discount and save 200$

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Give the fact that iLife 11 upgrade costs 49 dollars and Snow leopard costs 29 dollars to upgrade. I hope apple will price it between 49 to 99 dollars for OS lion upgrade...
One can hope.
IMO, the only reason iLife '11 was $49 instead of the usual $79 was because only three of the apps were upgraded, and the iPhoto upgrade was arguably weak.

Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard OS X updates were $129. Snow Leopard is the exception, with the reason that most of the changes were under the hood.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I am going to wait until I see some more info. As it stands, it's a $29 package so far but I'm sure more stuff is coming.

Indeed. All we've really seen so far is new touch gestures and fullscreen apps. It will need a lot more to justify a higher price tag.

Then why was Leopard priced at 129 dollars?

At the time, ADC membership was $500. Now that it's only $100, I don't see the OS costing any more than that.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
idk. tho i think im gana wait for a new mac that releases near lions release date so it comes preinstalled. i hope they have a big macbook update then. so if it is 100$ i can use that and my student discount and save 200$

I wish I was your case. My father's birthday is early December and his computer is like 4-5 year old. His laptop still runs window XP and I cannot wait anymore. At least, apple just updated iLife 2011, so I just saved 50 bucks.

For Mac OS lion... I will see. I hope it costs less than 79 dollars.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
There is a visible effort from Apple to drive prices down on the Mac platform (e.g. MBA starting at $999).
Also Mac sales are strong and growing so they have a larger install-base to amortize the development costs of Lion.
That seems to point to an affordable price tag for Lion, I would predict below $50, and possibly at $29 like Snow Leopard.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
There is a visible effort from Apple to drive prices down on the Mac platform (e.g. MBA starting at $999).
Also Mac sales are strong and growing so they have a larger install-base to amortize the development costs of Lion.
That seems to point to an affordable price tag for Lion, I would predict below $50, and possibly at $29 like Snow Leopard.

That would make my day...
But... But, this is apple we are talking about. I would love to be proven wrong, but apple will charge our souls.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
One can hope.

iLife 11 is a minor update with just three applications being upgraded with a few minor features missing already (Apple already admitted that they are working on adding calendar support back into iLife 11). Of course Apple isn’t going to charge it that much.

Snow Leopard is an exception, in terms of the front end, it has not changed enough from Leopard to justify being charged $129.

Lion is going to be charged just like in the past, $129.

We haven’t seen everything that makes up Lion, Apple is hiding 90% of the front-end changes from us. It can be a huge 300+ feature pack release like Leopard.

$99 or $129. It will not be $29 again as SL was not a full update, but rather an optimized version of 10.5.
Not exactly, SL is an optimized version of Leopard in terms of the front end. It’s a huge overhaul in the backend (the kernel).

TheAngryKiwi

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Auckland, NZ
It'll be a more significant update than SL (hence the large difference between Lion and Leopard versus Snow Leopard and Leopard), so it'll be more than $29.

That said, it's been over 3 years since Apple released an OS that wasn't 'tweaks' so I think jumping back to the $129 of older versions would be very jarring for people - I sense $99.

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
About $9. :cool:

Apple will make it back on the App store. They don't want people sitting on the sidelines for this cash cow.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

wisty said:
About $9. :cool:

Apple will make it back on the App store. They don't want people sitting on the sidelines for this cash cow.

The Mac App store is coming to SL too, 90 or so days Jobs said. I dont think they'd open it and then shut it down just to it's exclusive to Lion. There'll be plenty of people who for whatever reason don't upgrade, shutting down SL app store would be Apple stopping them giving Apple money.
News Flash, Apple likes money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.