Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple patent application published yesterday has been gaining some attention for its discussion of a system for creating a nitride layer on the surface of stainless steel components to assist in providing durability and scratch resistance while allowing the natural color and texture of the stainless steel to remain visible.

145035-nitrided_stainless_steel.jpg

Cross section of nitrided stainless steel
Apple notes that the nitrided stainless steel components "can be used for a variety of applications, such as to form outer housings for a laptop computer, media players, cell phones or other similar devices." According to Apple's patent application, the stainless steel components are immersed in a high-temperature, nitrogen-based salt bath for up to an hour an half, allowing for nitrogen to penetrate the surface of the steel and combine with chromium atoms in the stainless steel alloy to create a ceramic nitride layer 15-30 microns thick on the surface of the steel.

144511-iphone_4_frame.jpg

While some reports have suggested that Apple is considering using the technology in future products, the nitrided stainless steel is likely already in use on the stainless steel band of the iPhone 4 that has garnered significant attention as part of the antenna reception issues experienced by some users. The patent application describing the technology was filed in April 2010 but is essentially identical to a provisional patent application that was filed in April 2009.

Article Link: Apple Patent Application Discloses Process for Creating Scratch-Resistant Stainless Steel

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
While some reports have suggested that Apple is considering using the technology in future products, the nitrided stainless steel is likely already in use on the stainless steel band of the iPhone 4 that has garnered significant attention as part of the antenna reception issues experienced by some users.

If it is used on the iPhone 4 antenna it doesn't work very well. I've already got a couple of marks on mine where stuff has got between the bumper and the stainless steel. :(

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The hard plastic interior of my bumper has easily scratched the band of my iPhone 4 (and no, it's not debris, it's a sharp plastic point inside the bumper). If this stuff is in use in the latest phone, it's not very scratch resistant.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'd believe it. I have far fewer scratches on my band than I probably should.

...and to be fair, I have zero scratches on mine (and I have no protection whatsoever on my phone), but I have seen complaints made by other posters regarding scratches. Especially those with bumpers.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was actually going to ask of this was already on the iPhone 4s stainless steel band. Because it certainly seems like it.

People need to understand the difference between scratch "resistant" and scratch "proof". NOTHING is scratch proof. However, the i4s band seems to be incredibly scratch resistant. I've dropped my phone on a tile floor directly on the band and it only has a really tiny mark on it now. It bounced a couple times, and that's the only mark on my band. It's not even noticeable, it's just a slightly shinier spot on the band.

It's funny how people who constantly pull their phones in and out of cases get the most scratches. Kinda counter productive. That's why I never use a case, it's always better off without in my opinion. Cuz even when I dropped it I still have almost no scratches. Plus I feel like a case ruins jonys beautiful design

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
My iPhone is naked and still no scratches. I kind of accepted that that's part of using the phone without a case but still haven't noticed anything.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Good luck guys! Material science patents are totally out of your league.

There are tens of thousands of publicly funded material science research projects trying to mix every elemental combination to make a better material. Most innovative material science formulas never see the light of day based on cost of manufacture. There are military and aerospace materials that would make any laptop bulletproof (literally) if you are willing to spend the extra money on them.

I bet if you search German or American material science university doctorate projects, you will find something very similar to this done in the last thirty years.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I'm pretty sure this method is described in many engineering textbooks already... I thought that was an odd move because practically every mechanical engineer knows this method of surface hardening...

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
This is very cool. Nitrided steel is very hard, though it falls far short of cubic boron nitride or diamond in hardness. It's interesting that they're forming the nitride from a molten salt bath. That's a real PITA, toxic too as the nitrogen comes from cyanide.

My guess is that the patent is not awarded because they discovered nitrided steel (well known for decades) but was awarded for this particular application.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I love how they go above and beyond what any other electronics manufacturer would do.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'm pretty sure this method is described in many engineering textbooks already... I thought that was an odd move because practically every mechanical engineer knows this method of surface hardening...

Nitriding has been around for years, we use TiN and TiCN coatings on our press tools at work but they alter the colour of the base metal.

unicorn025

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
he cant get a pantent for that the steel industry all ready use that for high class stanless steel railings

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Plain, uncoated stainless steel seems pretty scratch resistant. Because of the satin finish, what you do in the event of a scratch is use sandpaper with very straight, even strokes, starting with a fairly coarse grit, then successively in a few steps with increasingly finer grit.

AllGaussian

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2010
"ceramic nitride layer" doesn't sound very conductive or magnetic. Could this help increase the antenna performance? I didn't see anything glaring in the patent brief.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I wish Apple would stop putting that stainless steel or chrome on the back of the iPod Touch. Takes less than 5 minutes out of the box to get a minor scratch on it unless it gets put inside of a case. I hate this about Apple.

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
It's NOT already in use.

Has anyone taken the bumper off their iPhone to look at the frame? I have, and it's ugly. The "down" sides are all showing clear signs of rub damage. The shininess has worn off.

Maybe rub is different then "scratch"?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
And people are concerned as to who is going to take over for Steve.
Apple will most assuredly clone him every ten years with a decade younger and disease free duplicate. Maybe they already have. :eek:

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Eventually, I used both my iPhone 3G and 3GS without cases and the chrome bezel had less dings than the stainless steel band on the iP4. Ridiculous how Apple's bumper has scuffed mine up so bad. I take extra care of it. It sucks for selling it next summer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.