Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hally231

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Hi, i have a macbook pro 13 mid 2010 which has got a liquid damaged board. The price of a new board + labour from apple is too much and the price of a new logic board from eBay is $1000. I am now thinking of replacing the logic board from the older unibody model which costs around $500. Everything looks the same inside but has anyone had any experience or knowledge of this actually working?

Thanks for your time x

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, i have a macbook pro 13 mid 2010 which has got a liquid damaged board. The price of a new board + labour from apple is too much and the price of a new logic board from eBay is $1000. I am now thinking of replacing the logic board from the older unibody model which costs around $500. Everything looks the same inside but has anyone had any experience or knowledge of this actually working?

Thanks for your time x
The battery arrangement isn't the same with the Mid-2010 Macbook Pro and the earlier models. I'd be surprised if this is a simple swap.

Hally231

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
yeh

The battery arrangement isn't the same with the Mid-2010 Macbook Pro and the earlier models. I'd be surprised if this is a simple swap.

Hi, thanks for pointing this out. I just want to buy a new board of the same model but as its relatively new there aren't any used ones and the price of a new one is $1000+ shipping!!! Im guessing im going to have to be patient.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
To be quite honest, you are almost better parting out your current 13" and buying another one. The 2009 logic boards last I checked were still $700- 900, plus shipping, plus time and effort to install and crossing fingers to hope thats all that was damaged.

Unless you luck out on eBay, which looks to be a crap shoot really. Most of the ones I've seen on there are suspect whether they would work, come "as-is", etc...

So if you NEED to get this thing back up and going, I'd part it out on eBay and just buy another 13". The display, case, RAM, HD, and board (mind you, as is) - is worth something to someone. More than you probably realize.

nelz886

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
New Jersey
To be quite honest, you are almost better parting out your current 13" and buying another one. The 2009 logic boards last I checked were still $700- 900, plus shipping, plus time and effort to install and crossing fingers to hope thats all that was damaged.

Unless you luck out on eBay, which looks to be a crap shoot really. Most of the ones I've seen on there are suspect whether they would work, come "as-is", etc...

So if you NEED to get this thing back up and going, I'd part it out on eBay and just buy another 13". The display, case, RAM, HD, and board (mind you, as is) - is worth something to someone. More than you probably realize.

Agreed. Plus if you don't properly handle the components (see ESD), you risk borking your shiny, thousand-dollar, logic board. :(

Hally231

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2010 Logic Board Help!

Hi, i know i have already created a thread regarding this but the results were inconclusive.

Anyway - I have a mid 2010 macbook pro 13" which got liquid damaged and so apple want to charge me through the roof for a replacement part. As the laptop has only been around for several months a replacement board online is hard to find however the previous model board is readily available and at a reasonable cost. The only difference between the 2 boards is that the 2009 one is 2.26 and my one is 2.4 (i dont care about this). Will the 09 board work in my 10 model mac?

My board is http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-2-4-GHz-Logic-Board/IF163-018

Replacement board is http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-2-26-GHz-Logic-Board/IF163-004

I appreciate all your time given, Sam x

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
I would say yes, the chips and screws are located in the same locations.

what i'm not so sure will work, is the drivers.

Hally231

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Thanks

I would say yes, the chips and screws are located in the same locations.

what i'm not so sure will work, is the drivers.

Hi, what do you mean the drivers? Will the system power up but have limited functions?

Sam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.