Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
The newest model always has the features of the one before it but with new ones as well. Heres what the iPhone 4 has that the 3gs doesn't:

- Retina Display
- HD video
- Better camera
- Facetime
- Faster processor
- New glass model
- Front facing camera

That's all I could list off the top of my head. Just go to apple.com, they have a comparison list as well.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The performance feels very similar between the two. Most of the speed advantage on the 4 seems to be consumed by driving the extra pixels on the RD screen.
The 4 does offer a lot of small things beyond the obvious. The GPS is far better and consumes much less power. The home button is tighter for the double clicking. The extra RAM makes app launching and task switching a bit smoother.
But at the end of the day, if you already own a 3GS, you don't need the 4, unless you fell in love with the new screen.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Also:

- Better battery life - most people going from 3GS to 4 seem to indicate that it is a worthwhile improvement.

- Thinner. The 3GS is 12.3mm thick and the 4 is 9.3mm thick so about a 25% reduction. My last phone wasn't a 3GS but it was about the same size and, although 3mm off the thickness might not sound like much, it really does make it a lot more comfortable to carry in a trouser pocket.

- Julian

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Most important difference is build quality.

Within 1 year, I've had 3 3GS. None of them was build the way I expected it from a £500 device.

First one had a loose screen in the top left corner, the second one had a loose chrome bezel after 2 month and had a non perfect fitting SIM carrier, the third one has a loose screen again.

The reason for replacing the first ones was a very, very bad battery after only 3 month of usage.

That being said, I treat my phones really good, none of them ever fell down or anything like that.

Although I really like the software, the hardware in the 3GS is absolutely crap. Worst phone I've ever had. The 4th gen, however, is absolutely perfect. No problems whatsoever.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Although I really like the software, the hardware in the 3GS is absolutely crap. Worst phone I've ever had. The 4th gen, however, is absolutely perfect. No problems whatsoever.

I have had a totally different experience. Our 3G and 3Gs have been rock solid. No issues here.

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I've also had a very good experience with my 3GS, which has performed like a champ for about 16 months now. During that time it has been dropped plenty of times, most recently a couple of days ago onto the concrete floor at BJ's, and just keeps working beautifully. I was tempted to sell it and get the 4, but ultimately I just decided to leave a good thing alone and maybe upgrade next summer.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't waste a 2-year upgrade on the iPhone4 unless you absolutely know that you want one.

Wait it out. Look for a good price on a used one. If you get the urge to definitely go out and get one then there will still be plenty available.

Since they come out every year, and the 4 has radio issues, why not cool your heels for a few months? The next one will be a slight improvement and you will probably be happier with it instead.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I wouldn't waste a 2-year upgrade on the iPhone4 unless you absolutely know that you want one.

Wait it out. Look for a good price on a used one. If you get the urge to definitely go out and get one then there will still be plenty available.

Since they come out every year, and the 4 has radio issues, why not cool your heels for a few months? The next one will be a slight improvement and you will probably be happier with it instead.

Huh? You realize the iphone 5 (or whatever they call it) won't be at for at least the next 7-8 months. 7-8 months is not a "few months". It's an eternity in cell phone cycles.

Now if it were say March and the OP was asking this question, than you definitely shouldn't waste your full upgrade on an iphone 4 since they would only need to wait "a few real months"

That being said, strictly financially, it's idiotic to use your full subsidy upgrade (assuming you are a US resident/ATT) to purchase a $99 iphone 3GS 8GB. You are better off getting the iphone 4 for 199/299 and immediately reselling it for at least 550/650 on craigslist for at least a $250 profit (when taxes and upgrade charges are added to the cost basis). Use that $250 and just get a used/mint condition iphone 3GS 16GB that goes on craigslist for around $200-250. That way you get "a free" iphone with your upgrade.

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
The iPhone 4 has better radio and better GPS over the 3GS. The 4 kills the 3gs in network performance (upload, download, latency), reception is all better with it in a case. And the 4 made me realize the GPS sucks in the 3gs (accuracy).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.