Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I was considering buying a folio type case for my iPad that had a Magnetic Closure. Is it safe to use and won't hurt the screen? Just curious on what the consensus is.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I'd say indifferent. I once was given a very nice iPhone case with magnetic closure as a gift and I was hesitant about it too. But I used it and it didn't cause any problem whatsoever.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Beware is what I say.

Griffin made a popular iPhone and iPod Touch case that had magnetic enclosures.

At this very site (macrumors forums) on the iPod Touch forum, there were MANY that had issues with it, and many of course who did not.

I was one that did. To be honest, I cannot recall the speciifics of the problems I saw when the case was on my Touch (it was so long ago), but I know it went away when I replaced it with an Incase Slider. (so the good news, the issues were NOT permanent, so no apparent hard done)

If you wish, just hit the iPod Touch forum and search for "magnets" and you can read up on it.

Because of my experience with the Touch I went right by a nice iPad case I saw once I realized it had magnets in the same places.

Mike

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I've had a Piel Frama case for my iPad for several months now, and I have experienced no issues at all with the magnetic closure, and I've heard of none reported. I imagine the placement and strength of the magnets matter, so I'm not sure how much my experience is applicable to other cases.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
iPhone/iPad don't have anything inside that's affected by magnets on that scale.

Don't worry.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
iPhone/iPad don't have anything inside that's affected by magnets on that scale.

Don't worry.

Compass. The magnets on a Yoobao v2 interfere with the compass (you get a pop up notification and the compass doesn't rotate the map correctly, it spins randomly). My next case will have no magnets! (probably a Piel Frama with a pop fastening rather than magnetic).

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I don't like magnetic closures for a similar reason - although there is some risk for the device itself, my issue is that one usually will place the case into a bag with other items, and then it becomes an awkward exercise to ensure that none of the items in said bag which may be sensitive to magnetic fields (such as EFTPOS or Credit Cards or other electronic devices) away from the magnetic clasp.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
I've used a magnetic holster for my iPhone for a few years (iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and not 4) and never had any problems.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I think it will be OK. I'm sure it has to be tested by the manufacturer in some ways before it goes out to the public to make sure there is no damage to the unit... otherwise it would be a lawsuit. Being leather probably helps too.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I have the Marware EcoVue folio style iPad case and I love it -- except when it's time to use the GPS. Then I have to either open the cover and not fold it back (the magnet is a flap on the front cover to hold the typing stand closed) or completely take it out of the case.

An irritant, but it doesn't affect the screen. It does mess with the compass though. :/ I kick around the idea of getting an Apple iPad Case when I use the GPS heavily (like ballooning weekends).

woody74

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
The worst thing a magnet will do is confuse the compass. There is nothing in an iPhone that will be effected by a magnet as it has flash memory. It is an urban myth that magnets effect electronics. You would need a absolutely huge magnet to cause any issues. Commercial computer recycling firms use devices called degaussers as a quick an easy way to wipe hard drives. Theses are huge electro magnets but even still they do not damage the computer but just wipe the hard drive contents.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Compass. The magnets on a Yoobao v2 interfere with the compass (you get a pop up notification and the compass doesn't rotate the map correctly, it spins randomly). My next case will have no magnets! (probably a Piel Frama with a pop fastening rather than magnetic).

Compass needs a significantly large magnet to piss it off. It pretty much always asks for a figure eight, as it is its way of calibrating, I suppose. But as long as your case isn't half made of magnet, you shouldn't have any issues.

I'm just saying this out of owning a magnet case for my iPhone. The magnet didn't mess up the compass, as it wasn't large enough. Tiny little strip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.