Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Obviously i have to take this into apple before i go there does any body know what this means? My Macbook is about a year and 3 months old and is out of contract. Just curious what other peoples experiences and outcomes were with this problem. And if i need to get a new battery whats my best option? Apple or after market source that are more cost effective? Thanks

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I think Apple-approved batteries (i.e. the real deal) are the best ones to go with, as batteries from 3rd parties might not work as well or they could actually damage your computer. However I have heard of some people having great experiences with 3rd party batteries, so maybe it depends on the brand.

Rechargeable batteries only last so long before they loose any capacity to hold a charge (the battery's useful life depends on how well you cared for it i.e. calibration etc).

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
My MBP sometimes comes up with the service battery message when I click on the battery in the menu bar (3 years old). I have found that it does it only when I'm doing something intensive like watching a movie, playing a game or have many programs open at once and the power is being drained unusually fast. Once it is back to regular use the message goes away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.