Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
OK, here is a question. If you have a 13" 2010 MacBook Air with the SD card slot, and you are looking for a card to expand the capacity of your MacBook Air, what is the max capacity card currently available that you can use in this slot. I hear that they have new cards with capacities of up to 2TB, but are these cards compatible with the SD card slot on the MacBook Air? (SDXC 2TB cards)

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
OK, here is a question. If you have a 13" 2010 MacBook Air with the SD card slot, and you are looking for a card to expand the capacity of your MacBook Air, what is the max capacity card currently available that you can use in this slot. I hear that they have new cards with capacities of up to 2TB, but are these cards compatible with the SD card slot on the MacBook Air? (SDXC 2TB cards)

2TB is just the theoretical max size - the largest SDXC card on the market right now seems to be 64Gb. Anyways, there has been a lot of discussion whether MBA supports SDXC or not, but somone posted an apple forum screenshot when apple support confirmed that it does NOT support SDXC. That would mean it's only a SDHc slot, with a 32Gb max storage size.

I hope the apple support was wrong, but so far everything seems to point at the port beeing SDHC.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
What about this?

micro-SDXC-2TB.jpg

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Not a comment about the size of the SD card, but I think your bigger concern is that the SD card will hang out of the slot. For whatever reason, starting with the 2010 MBP line, Apple chose to not give us a SD slot that will take all the SD card. A full 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the card remains outside the unit while it is seated in the slot. This isn't a problem when the MBA is stationary, but if you are like me and are constantly slipping the MBA in/out of a sleeve or a backpack all day long, you run the risk of catching it on something and/or even damaging the card.

I've instead started using a 64GB USB 'mini' plug for flash storage. Currently, this holds my entire extended document library on it. That way, no matter which laptop I carry with me for the day, I just slide this into one of the free USB slots and I'm off and running. I use DropBox for my "active" files, but this type of approach gives me something thats very small and unobtrusive and doesn't stick out as far as the SD card would.

Looks like this when plugged in:

500x_ze_laptop-300x217.jpg

I've experimented with putting my entire iTunes library on here but have encountered a few issues using it that way.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I hear that they have new cards with capacities of up to 2TB, but are these cards compatible with the SD card slot on the MacBook Air? (SDXC 2TB cards)
Even if it was, you couldn't afford the 2TB SDXC card. A 64gb SDXC card is $350.

Bleh5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Not a comment about the size of the SD card, but I think your bigger concern is that the SD card will hang out of the slot. For whatever reason, starting with the 2010 MBP line, Apple chose to not give us a SD slot that will take all the SD card. A full 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the card remains outside the unit while it is seated in the slot. This isn't a problem when the MBA is stationary, but if you are like me and are constantly slipping the MBA in/out of a sleeve or a backpack all day long, you run the risk of catching it on something and/or even damaging the card.

I've instead started using a 64GB USB 'mini' plug for flash storage. Currently, this holds my entire extended document library on it. That way, no matter which laptop I carry with me for the day, I just slide this into one of the free USB slots and I'm off and running. I use DropBox for my "active" files, but this type of approach gives me something thats very small and unobtrusive and doesn't stick out as far as the SD card would.

I've experimented with putting my entire iTunes library on here but have encountered a few issues using it that way.

More information on the USB plug, please? That's got to be the shortest drive I've ever seen.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area

What class microSDHC card are you using? Is class 2 adequate? I am also interested in the issues that you had running iTunes off of it.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area

Oh yeah! I just bought one of these yesterday (a smaller capacity though) for use with my new MacBook Air. It's amazing how tiny it is!

It's a Lexar ECHO ZE USB drive

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

Current SDXC cards go up to 64GB, the MBA can use all SDXC cards

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Is a SD card or one of these aforementioned USB mini-drives actually usable with the MBA?

How fast are they? Fast enough for you to keep your iPhoto library on it? Or is it all spinning beachballs with these things?

Also, how much $$ are these things roughly?

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Is a SD card or one of these aforementioned USB mini-drives actually usable with the MBA?

How fast are they? Fast enough for you to keep your iPhoto library on it? Or is it all spinning beachballs with these things?

Also, how much $$ are these things roughly?

I bought one of those mini-usb drives (32Gb) yesterday. Works like a charm, and hardly noticeable when it's plugged in (though mine has a blue led that flashes when accessing data - somewhat annoying tbh).

I got 20Mb/s writing to the drive and faster when reading, and that's good enough for me. I think the device stated 16Mb/s write speed as max, and 30Mb/s for reading, but OS X showed me number in excess of 20Mb sustained speed when writing :)

It was a bit costly, converted from local currency about $150 USD.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Awesome

This is a great idea. I use DropBox for my "active" files but this is an excellent addition.

I can also just plug it in my Mac Pro when needed for backups, OR backup over my network.

I guess the problem would be to remind myself to backup :)

Thanks for the info!

Glaxx

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Illinois

Can you elaborate on the problems you've had with iTunes on here? I've been looking at doing this as well, or some other solution similar to this.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
It was a bit costly, converted from local currency about $150 USD.

That's not a bad performance for a USB. I was more worried that USB would be a lot slower than that. Someone actually did confirm working with a SDXC 64GB card on the MBA13. So it looks that external (but petite) options are there, and much better than tugging a drive with you since it hardly increases the footprint of the device.

wenjun88

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
MBA 2011 support 64GB SDXC?

Looking alternative storage for my MBA 2011. An SD would be perfect as it is hidden inside the slot, unlike USB. Does current mba model support 64GD SDXC?

kilonet

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011

Wow I think ill consider this for my new 11".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.