Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hello,

I'm very sad to say that my jail-broken and unlocked (T-Mobile) iPhone 3GS 32GB is acting up after I did an "erase all content and settings" after the phone was having issues and being very slow.
It shows the apple logo, then the apple logo with the loading circle and little line of dead pixels like it did when i first jail broke it.
The loading circle goes around for 2 minutes, then freezes, and thats where it stays indefinitely.
I've restarted it until it got into the "connect to itunes" screen, and if i try and restore with an image from the new pwnage tool, it fails (with error 19 or 21 if i remember correctly)

Please help if you can, your time is very much appreciated.
Thank you

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You wont get anywhere without a restore.
If you're using a mac I'd use pwnage tool to create a custom 4.1 JB IPSW and restore to that.
This way you preserve your baseband and update to the latest 4.1 firmware.
Do not restore or update to official 4.1 thru itunes, you will lose your ability to unlock the phone.
Follow this: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12349
Then open up Cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.
And next time dont hit the erase all content and settings cause you'd be stuck again.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
You wont get anywhere without a restore.
If you're using a mac I'd use pwnage tool to create a custom 4.1 JB IPSW and restore to that.
This way you preserve your baseband and update to the latest firmware.
Then open up Cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.
And next time dont hit the erase all content and settings cause you'd be stuck again.

That's what i've tried to do. I've put the phone in restore mode... and all that happens is i get error 21 if I try and restore from a pwnage tool image.
I have iTunes 9. Should I upgrade to 10?

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
"Erase all" deletes everything off the phone, including the OS. The pwnagetool and custom firmware made from it requires you be on Mac. And, yes, upgrade to latest ITunes. Believe, phone also needs to be in DFU mode.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's what i've tried to do. I've put the phone in restore mode... and all that happens is i get error 21 if I try and restore from a pwnage tool image.
I have iTunes 9. Should I upgrade to 10?

You're using pwnage on a mac right?
You cannot restore to a custom IPSW made thru pwnage on a windows machine I hope you know that.
Pwnage needs to put your iphone in DFU and it runs the exploit so without running pwnage while having your iphone plugged in to the mac then it wont go thru.
And yes update your itunes to the latest version if you didnt already.
Make sure you follow the instructions on how to put your iphone on DFU mode when you run pwnage.
If you dont succesffuly put it in DFU mode itunes wont let you restore to it.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
You're using pwnage on a mac right?
You cannot restore to a custom IPSW made thru pwnage on a windows machine I hope you know that.
Pwnage needs to put your iphone in DFU and it runs the exploit so without running pwnage while having your iphone plugged in to the mac then it wont go thru.
And yes update your itunes to the latest version if you didnt already.
Make sure you follow the instructions on how to put your iphone on DFU mode when you run pwnage.
If you dont succesffuly put it in DFU mode itunes wont let you restore to it.

Here is the problem-
It's in recovery mode, not DFU Mode.
The phone won't successfully start up, so I can turn it off and put it in DFU mode. (unless there is another way to do it, without having the phone completely on)
I need a way to fix it so it can be restored WITHOUT losing my ability to unlock, as I use this phone daily with T-Mobile.

Thank you

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Ok, now I think I've gotten the phone in DFU Mode.
However, when I try and restore (This in on my mac running the newest version of iTunes trying to restore from a PWNagetool image)
It is a newer style USB cable and I have tried switching USB ports. The phone is connected directly to the computer.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-30 at 11.47.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-30 at 11.47.13 PM.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 203

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Ok, now I think I've gotten the phone in DFU Mode.
However, when I try and restore (This in on my mac running the newest version of iTunes trying to restore from a PWNagetool image)
It is a newer style USB cable and I have tried switching USB ports. The phone is connected directly to the computer.

The 1600 error is caused by putting the phone in DFU manually. You must put the phone in DFU with pwnage tool. Close itunes, launch pwnage tool again and select the DFU option at top and work with the Time count down through pwnage tool. Part of the exploit is injected at this stage if you miss it you will always get the 1600 error. The original 21 error is because you were in recovery and not DFU.

If this fails redo the customer IPSW and when Pwnage gets the phone in DFU then you close pwnage and open itunes. Then option restore to custom ipsw.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Like said above, take your time and follow the steps again in putting your iphone in DFU with Pwnage.
No other way, you just gotta time it right and it will go thru.

I can't really get it into DFU mode without having the ability to turn it on, as it does not boot fully.
If i restore the phone with iTunes, then put it in DFU mode and restore from the pwnage tool image, will I loose my jailbreak/unlock?

Thank you for your help

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I can't really get it into DFU mode without having the ability to turn it on, as it does not boot fully.
If i restore the phone with iTunes, then put it in DFU mode and restore from the pwnage tool image, will I loose my jailbreak/unlock?

Thank you for your help

You do not have to be able to boot the phone to get it in DFU. The only thing that should prevent DFU is if you have a faulty button. Hold down both buttons and count to ten release top button until you get a black screen then release bottom button. Ignore any screens that appear during this process and keep trying you will get there eventually. The errors you reported of 1600 and 21 suggest you have successfully put the phone in both DFU and recovery at some time

CryingElectron

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Hi,

It's simple, you only need to put your phone in DFU mode using Pwnage tool, not manually and everything will go fine then. That's it...

I suggest you to read some 'good' guide ;) for restoring to a custom firmware using pwnage tool 4.1 and I am pretty sure that your problem will be resolved.

Best Regards,
-CryingElectron

PinoySaMI

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
I have the same problem. I got my iphone at DFU mode but my itunes still doesn't recognize my iphone.

How can I make my itunes recognize my iphone?

PinoySaMI

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Just had my iphone fix but it is now in OS 4.1.

While itunes is up and iphone connected to your Mac computer, put your iphone in recovery mode. Your itune should recognize your iphone and just follow the instruction.

I tried to restore my iphone using jail break and unlock OS 4.0 or 4.01 but won't work. It only worked when I restore it using latest OS 4.1 from apple.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just had my iphone fix but it is now in OS 4.1.

While itunes is up and iphone connected to your Mac computer, put your iphone in recovery mode. Your itune should recognize your iphone and just follow the instruction.

I tried to restore my iphone using jail break and unlock OS 4.0 or 4.01 but won't work. It only worked when I restore it using latest OS 4.1 from apple.

Careful putting out information like this. The OP specifically said he/she cannot lose their unlock, so full Apple firmware restore is not an option (only a last resort).

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
I got it fixed, thanks for the help everyone!

I restored from a stock 4.0.0 image (so I didn't loose my unlock) and it worked.
I then proceeded to upgrade to 4.1.2 Via Pwnage tool and unlock.

Thank you again.

PinoySaMI

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Careful putting out information like this. The OP specifically said he/she cannot lose their unlock, so full Apple firmware restore is not an option (only a last resort).

I was just sharing what I did to get out of that situation...as my last resort.

jdubsub1

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
Help with iPhone 3GS (new bootrom)

I really need some help, so I will put this out there. I have an iPhone 3GS (Newboot) and I tried to jailbreak it for use with T-mobile. I already had updated the software to 4.2.1 before I tried to jailbreak it. I went through the jailbreak procedure using redsn0w for windows...I downloaded the *.ispw file for the 4.2.1 iphone 3gs, went through the jailbreak procedure. It installed fine...then I rebooted (tethered - through redsn0w) to access Cydia and installed Ultrasnow. After another tethered reboot, the t-mobile sim card would show up, then disappear, show up, disappear for no reason. I tried to un-install/re-install ultrasnow, same results.

Then, without thinking, I tried to restore the iPhone through Itunes (bad idea), and it looked like it went through the whole restore process and it messed up the iPhone completely. Now, the iPhone will automatically reboot when I turn it off (when plugged into the PC via USB), but it will always show the Itunes + USB screen, but obviously it will not restore at all. Never makes it through. I think I really messed it up. I have tried to re-jailbreak it to get it back to where I could actually get the phone to the software, but it just stays stuck on the Itunes screen. Can't fix it. I have downloaded different tools, such as Umbrella, iREB, etc, and they do not fix the problem, and I cannot fix the iPhone. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Try to get the phone in DFU mode and do a shift+restore and keep trying till it works? I had to restore my 3GS three times yesterday before it would work.

rastanath

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
pleasee help

hey everyone, i have a similar problem on iphone 3gs 4.1 unlocked and jailbroken with ipad baseband, i belive is the new bootroom and i dont have the shsh saved.
i thought that i was going to be able to upgrade to 4.3 today with no problem but im getting the 1015 error on itunes, right now the phone its on recovery and im not able to take it out, any advice i would really appreciate it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.