Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccalleri

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Toronto
Quick question: Is there a way I can add an icon to my usb jump drive; when I plug it in to any mac my drive would show up on the desktop with my icon?

Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, change it like any normal file's icon and it should be remembered... You can change an icon by selecting the drive and then using the Get Info feature in the File menu. Select the icon in the top left and paste over it with the icon you want. :)

calliope8muse

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
London, UK
USB Drive ICON .. What?

Fair play yes I have the .icon file I want to use, cmd+I top left icon you can drag and drop or just Edit>Copy+Paste

BUT?

it doesn't accept my .ico file, should I convert it into a .png or what is it please?:confused:

ncacace

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
USB Drive ICON .. for 500+ USB Drives?

It's all very well and good to change the icon of one drive so that you can personalize it - Easy!

But what if you are dealing with commercial quantities. Surely you're not expected to repeat the process 1000 times?

With PC it's just a matter of including your icon and the instruction file but a USB Key/Drive is external and should be Hybrid Mac/PC.

So what would you do for the Mac to propagate the changed icon to all the drives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.