Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Hello.

Since the change of forum software I seem to be experiencing major slowdowns with MR Forums.

Forum Spy loads a bit slower in Safari 5.0.1 (Mac OS X 10.6.4) than usual, but it loads in less than a minute.
Opening a thread via Forum Spy does take at least two minutes, hitting the Post Reply button takes another two or more minutes, and until the Reply is posted it takes another two or more minutes.
The same goes for visiting the different sub-fora, opening the Site and Forum Feedback sub-forum took a minute or two.

And as someone used the "new" Friends/Buddy list to ask for my friendship, I clicked on the Notifications item on the top right (under my user name) to see, what it wants me to notice.
Clicking on the "Incoming Friends Request" option was fast, but the loading of the associated page took another two or more minutes.
Confirming the friend request took another two minutes.

Anyway, I haven't had such a slowdown since I have been here yet, thus I did the usual.
Reset Safari, emptied cache, restarted Safari several times, reconnected to my ISP (new IP), tried Chrome, which had the same problems, I couldn't even load Forum Spy.

Other websites (BBC, AI, MR news page) load just fine. I don't have an excessive upload going on, thus the bandwidth (100KB/s upload) is not hampered with, the same is for my download bandwidth (1.9MB/s).

Am I the only one experiencing this, thus the problem might be on my end, or are others having the same issue?

Addendum

This thread appeared normally on Forum Spy, while it was still looking like it would have to properly post it on the forums, it took more than three minutes to actually see the thread in the tab I used to create it in.
Clicking the EDIT button resulted in taking two or more minutes to load the edit page (like if one would click the "Go Advanced" button) and it didn't work like before, when one could edit one's post without loading the edit page, but while still in the thread.
Is that the new procedure when it comes to editing?

Last edited:

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Well MacRumors Forums was offline for awhile and I notice a new Profile page.

I guess they did other stuff but the forums is fine for me.

Maybe because I have really fast internet that I don't notice it.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Yeah, I haven't been able to get on most of the morning, but now it's intermittent connectivity. I also keep getting logged off and have to keep signing back in every time I am able to get a new tab open from ForumSpy.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Thank you Spinnerlys ...

I just want to thank OP for posting this thread ... I am also experiencing this.

Sorry to hear others are having this same problem ... I am now glad it is not just me.

Thanks for solving the mystery:cool:

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Well MacRumors Forums was offline for awhile and I notice a new Profile page.

I guess they did other stuff but the forums is fine for me.

Maybe because I have really fast internet that I don't notice it.

My internet connection is fast too (1.9MB/s - almost 120MB/min).

It seems to a server problem then, maybe we have too many posts?

Anyway, even the editing of my OP took me five minutes, two of them were spent writing, the rest was waiting.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It seems okay for me. Running Safari 5.0.2 from what I assume is a crappy hotel connection.

EDIT: I jinxed myself. I just had a five minute period where it didn't load at all. But once it came back up, it's as fast as it's always been.

Last edited:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, we're definitely experiencing some sluggishness, and yes, for those who didn't notice, we did perform a forum upgrade last night, so there are still some bugs to be worked out.

Just need to wait for arn to recover from last night's efforts before we can tackle the remaining issues.

Please keep reporting issues, as it'll help us work through them.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's not slow, it doesn't load at all :p But yeah, going very slow for me. Sometimes it works normally for few mins and then goes down for the next 30 mins :(

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
It works as normal on Internet Explorer but has ground to a halt on Firefox. :eek:

I wonder if it's related to cookies? I've never used IE on this computer before so there are no settings saved for MR.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I notice the slowness mostly when making a posting.... like right nnnoooooowwwwwww........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.