Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike423

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Hello all,

Is there a way to find out if my phone is locked or unlocked? It's my first Iphone....

Thanks...

hatersgonnahate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
put a t-mobile sim card. and see if it works.

or hold home button, activate voice control and ask "are u unlock" if theres no answer then ur not unlocked.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
if you bought it in the united states its definitely locked.

if its at 4.1 its not unlockable at the moment.

you can only unlock if you have baseband 01.59.00 on an iphone 4.

go to settings>general>about

last on the list is "modem firmware" and thats your baseband version. If its 01.59.00 then you can download ultrasn0w in cydia.

If not, you can't unlock until they unlock the newer baseband (probably some time this month after they release public 4.2)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Is it activated yet? Do you see the Cydia icon?
If you open up cydia/manage/package and you see ultrasnow installed its software unlocked.
Also it all depends what modem firmware version is on if its unlocked or can be unlocked at the moment.

bkingtu83

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
if you put in a different sim card on an unlocked phone (ex: tmobile in us iphones), will you just be using tmobile's network for free? i guess what im getting at is if someone has a plan with at&t, and they unlock and use a tmobile sim card, how will at&t know if that person is using minutes/data/messages if they have a tmobile sim?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
if you put in a different sim card on an unlocked phone (ex: tmobile in us iphones), will you just be using tmobile's network for free? i guess what im getting at is if someone has a plan with at&t, and they unlock and use a tmobile sim card, how will at&t know if that person is using minutes/data/messages if they have a tmobile sim?

They wont.
I dont know what you mean using Tmobile network for free. You will still use your tmobile minutes, texts etc.. when you're using your tmobile sim.
AT&T wont know and dont care what you do with your iphone. You can burn it if you like:D

bkingtu83

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
They wont.
I dont know what you mean using Tmobile network for free. You will still use your tmobile minutes, texts etc.. when you're using your tmobile sim.
AT&T wont know and dont care what you do with your iphone. You can burn it if you like:D

oh, so you have to have a tmobile plan for the sim card to work in the phone?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Hello all,

Is there a way to find out if my phone is locked or unlocked? It's my first Iphone....

Thanks...
Did you run Ultrasn0w on it? If not, when you search Cydia for Ultrasn0w, if there's a green check mark on the right, the package is installed and your iPhone should be unlocked.

oh, so you have to have a tmobile plan for the sim card to work in the phone?

Yes, that's how it usually works, you pay for goods and/or services. :)

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
There only one master key and i have it and as for the mortgage hack i think the dev team are working on it... hopefully out tonight

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
put a t-mobile sim card. and see if it works.

or hold home button, activate voice control and ask "are u unlock" if theres no answer then ur not unlocked.

You are assuming this person lives in the united states. This isn't a valid way to check if you live in a country where tmobile is an official carrier. Are all iphones sold overseas using tmobile as a carrier unlocked as well? Or can you only use them on tmobile over there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.