Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Just a heads up to let people know that it is possible. Sure, the system is using a lot of swap, but it works fine. I gave windows 850MB ram and it seems to be happy with it, OSX still runs fine as well, with chrome, preview, excel and word all open with multiple tabs/documents. Obviously, if you are going to be doing any heavy work and are planning on using both simultaneously, you should probably get the 4GB ram, but if you just want windows to run the odd app here and there then don't hesitate to try it out.

I decided to try it after realizing that windows 7 worked just fine on netbooks with 1GB ram, so I saw no reason why it wouldn't be just fine on here for basic tasks.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Sure. Don't forget many netbooks with atom processor and 1 GB RAM come standard with Windows 7.

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
I might give it a go on mine as well. Air is basically an iPad replacement for me and I'll only need to run it in a pinch.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Sure. Don't forget many netbooks with atom processor and 1 GB RAM come standard with Windows 7.

I have actually cut the ram down to 600MB now and it is still fine. It is using just 400MB right now with nothing open. It jumped up to 530MB and started filling up cache when I opened up excel, onenote, and chrome with 7 tabs. At this point it started to feel sluggish and moving between apps was difficult, but in practice I will never stress it this much.

The other thing is that because of the SSD, you don't need to keep it running all the time. Just suspend the windows partition and it can save it all in about 10 seconds, and then restore it in about the same time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sure, 1GB of ram for the VM will be enough and the SSD will improve swapping just as it does for osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.