Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Hallo All

just had a HDD crash on my Quad Power Tower - thinking heat was the real killer - tower sits on floor next to desk just in front of wall with large file cabinet flanking - really not a great deal of airflow -

anyone add a clip on HDD fan or done something with the tower to aid in cooling the HDD's ? - my tower is usually in operation 16-18 hrs a day

cheers in advance

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Lets just call it PowerMac G5, not Power Tower. :p

Anyway, the HDDs in this model are already cooled by a fan, so there is no need to apply a second one, even if there was room to do so.

Did you check your HDD temperatures? Maybe the fan is faulty and stopped running. In this case you should definitely replace it.
But still, hard drives fail, there is no way around it.

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
cheers transporteur:

suppose the next question is possible upgrade of current cooling HDD cooling fans ?

did not check HDD temps - did not think this was possible on my POWER TOWER ( G5 Power Mac ) as I do not recognize a sensor as is on a G5 iMac I have - - I did install software on G4 PowerBook for temps - as did on G5 iMac - which was always shutting off iMac - assumed as these machines operate in the Desert SW USA with average 40ºc temps in summer - the fans get a good workout

new HDD for POWER TOWER should arrive Tues. next , I can format and power up to check internals - might you , if so inclined , suggest software for heat management monitoring ?

cheers in advance :

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Doubt heat was the issue but you can use iStat to monitor your temps for the hard drives. Mechanical HDDs fail over time, was it the stock one?

Ever consider a SSD for boot/apps and use an external FW800/eSATA for storage? This way you can remove the old spinning mechanicals from the "furnace".

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Like others said: chance your HDD died of heat is near 0. Get another one SATA HDD and you'll be fine.

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Hallo mates ;

cheers for the replies : and the suggests on software

Funny ........
to me it will always be the G5 Power Tower quad - not to offend ......

SSD HD - hmmm ... how is reliability on those ? as I mentioned previously my machine gets how - and why I liked the Quad - for the liquid cooling - in the slot /spot where Tower rests /sits - it gets rather toasty - so thinking maybe some mods - if mods are possible

I have a few externals - and back up most of my main HDD onto the 2nd drive in Tower - its more about best fix for least pennies - I understand these tower cases are very specific - just asking about to see if anyone has tried /discussed and mods as I am aware these G5's ran hot to begin with

if my only choice is saddled to the original spec's /Apple design /equip - I may concider re arranging my tower placement - not looking for fancy gizmo bastard look - my machine is a workhorse - replacing an HDD every year seems a bit much

cheersin advance

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
say 666sheep :

hmmm.. i wonder - machine was left on for almost 24 hrs working - and was rather warm these day - usually shut down every morning for 2 hr or so before restart - working all day

HDD spins but wont boot - i figured the heat of 2 days operation just cooked something in the HDD card - hence I seek better HDD heat Management

cheers

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
coincidently the harddrive gone into the nirvana , the PowerMac is cooling its internals quiet effectively , mine is the 2.3ghz dual running 24/7 and only gets switched of by the national grid when there is a powercut :rolleyes:

so unless some of the internal fans in yours are broken i doubt heat was the issue for the harddrive to die especially if it was only running 24 hours , they are build to run 24/7 for years , but harddrives actually are not build to last forever , some even give up in the first 3 month but i recommend if you buy a new harddrive the western digital velociraptor 600gb its a 10000rpm drive and build to last longer then the average drive , it is a 2.5inch drive but has a alloy cooler build around it (called icepack )which makes it 3.5 inch big so it fits in normal desktops
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=821

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
.."G5" was originally supposed to be the processor

..and then Apple got 'cold IBM feet'.

Anyone here recommend the best place to buy used (and/or modified) Mac
Power G5 workstations? I have a simple list..but it could use an update.

Going to code in OpenCL..compatible processor or not.

This is what we missed out on by going with Intel:

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/pod03053usen/POD03053USEN.PDF

I think if I had a 5000W box in my house it would replace the heating unit.

WW

Last edited:

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Say machamster68:

cheers:

I will start saving pennies for this velociraptor - just purchased WD 1.5 TB for my new backup and will use out the other Seagate 'Cuda 500G for my main - & look for a scheduled backup software -

as prior mention - the space where tower sits gets toasty and not much breathing room - my 23" display sits next to the window - not uncommon for 40 days of 40º c + here - the heat cooked one of displays power mods - Apple Care was still valid there - so figure as the HD still spins but wont boot - the heat cooked the board - or maybe not

10000 rpm spin on HDD - this will generate a bit more heat no?
but diggin the design cooling fins

enjoy weeks end

cheers:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
..and then Apple got 'cold IBM feet'.

Anyone here recommend the best place to buy used (and/or modified) Mac
Power G5 workstations? I have a simple list..but it could use an update.

Going to code in OpenCL..compatible processor or not.

This is what we missed out on by going with Intel:

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/pod03053usen/POD03053USEN.PDF

I think if I had a 5000W box in my house it would replace the heating unit.

WW

i know i have a ibm BladeCenter with Power6+ quadcore running at 4.0 ghz linux ubuntu and it makes my iMac 1.83ghz core duo look like pocket calculator from the 70's , but its done and dusted intel got the deal as they had been cheaper and willing to produce mobile processors , something ibm was never really interested in and motorola had other plans too ,so while these two got lost in arguments about where to go intel sneaked into Mac's , IBM still makes a bit money with their iBM servers so are not bothered to have lost Apple
but it would be nice to have a MacPro with a IBM Power7 processor :)

but back to the subject
no actually the velociraptor runs 5 degree celsius cooler then the previous 7200rpm 250gb WD drive inside my iMac core duo

Last edited:

nomadix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
say wms121:

only place I have seen G5 tower cases ( complete with crashed guts and gutted ) - eBay

used untested mother boards and most guts including CPU's also had on eBay

not to mention used G5 in all flavours - shipping will get you if you outside Continuous US of A

good luck - and like to hear more about your project

cheers:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.