Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazruk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
CT
Hi- I have had my MacBook Pro now for a little over 2 yrs and I was very frustrated I could not change any print options in any application. I know that the Triangle button expands print options screen but when I do, I have only two print choices. It gave me Standard or Page Attributes in Office and any other App it is Standard and Last used settings. I can't print in Draft, Best or other setting because it does not even give them as a choice. I have two high end color photo printers, Canon i9900 and Epson Photo series and an old HP830 series. Any app I tried to print from and the same thing. I tried to capture the options on the choices but it would not grab that part of the image but here is my screen shot. PrintOptn.jpg I searched many forums and I still get the same answer so something else is not letting me change things so I figured best to ask since I am a 20 year win user now switched to Mac. Well right after I posted this question, my wife found the answer. I never though to check the application NAME in the print setting screen. Example, in the screenshot I am using Preview. I never thought to hit the up/down arrow next to the Preview label and wouldn't you know, that is were the quality and several other settings were. I felt pretty stupid that it took 2 years to figure this out but if I posted the answer maybe someone else will not have to take as long as I did to change their print quality! :)

Attachments

• PrintQuality.jpg
    PrintQuality.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,189

trixie54

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
10.5.8 problem

I have the same problem, but alas, my Print window doesn't have a section marked "Preview" or anything at all - that section is not there.
Any ideas?:confused:

hOwZzaT

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Hope you found out your answer, but i am replying in case you still haven't found out

when u go to "print", on the bottom left hand corner, next to "pdf" selection, there should be "preview" button.

When you hit "preview" button, this is like most preview windows showing you what your print out should look like.

When you then hit "print" it will bring the print dialog window up, there is a small upside down blue triangle (pointing down) next to the "name of your printer"

If you click this button, it will expand your selection.

going from top to bottom of the expanded print selection / options / preferences window gives you the ability to change and see the following:

You will see options to change "presets" which will allow you to select draft, fast draft, fast draft black & white only etc.

No. of copies - self explanatory
Page range- dittoooe

You will also see option to change paper size, ( I think paper type in there as well)

You can change portrait and landscape.

You can scale page (though I have rarely ever done this, maybe some people use for printing pictures > but that would be messy and inaccurate way, but there is probably a good reason, so that's why it's there :)

You can also print multiple pages to 1 page. This is the selection "images" per page, just select and you can now choose how many multiple pages per page AS WELL as orientation too to boot, hoot!

And then finally, save as a pdf if you want. If Apple and Adobe hate each other so much, why is this a bundled os feature? wot?

Hope this helps!!!
cheers and give me a thumbs up and like and useful like shout out!
This is my first post, got my macbook pro last week and feelin like a total noob!

MacMommaNewbie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Printing in B & W with Snow Leopard OS and a Lexmark

I have been frustrated by this for a while now and finally figured out how to print in black and white with Snow Leopard OS and a Lexmark Ink Jet all in one.

Select Print
Under "Copies and Pages", select the drop down menu to "Printer Features"
In this window you will see "Document Color" that is defaulted to 'color'.
Use the drop down menu and select "black only" and then "print"
This will print your doc in Black and White.

Hope this helps.

ImAMacUser

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Thank you!

Thank you, thank you! And while you're in the preview mode, you can save your settings as a preset, so that next time you can select them straight from Word, without previewing!
You made my day so much better to have this solved :).

when u go to "print", on the bottom left hand corner, next to "pdf" selection, there should be "preview" button.

When you hit "preview" button, this is like most preview windows showing you what your print out should look like.

When you then hit "print" it will bring the print dialog window up, there is a small upside down blue triangle (pointing down) next to the "name of your printer"

If you click this button, it will expand your selection.

Hope this helps!!!
cheers and give me a thumbs up and like and useful like shout out!
This is my first post, got my macbook pro last week and feelin like a total noob!

mpresto2

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Can't select specific print settings - Paper type, resolution etc

I have a new MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, Photoshop CS5.1 and a Canon Pro9500 MkII printer. I can't find anywhere to select the paper type, or any other of the mutitude of detailed print settings i had visible when using windows.

I can't see the the "upside-down" blue triangle referred to in other posts..

Getting really frustrated - any suggestions Welcome

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-06 at 12.08.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-02-06 at 12.08.14 AM.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2,930
Last edited:

kiralily

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
easier than it looks

click on the "layout" bar above the big number 1 in your screenshot; it will drop down a menu with all the options you need.

it took me awhile to find this myself!

good luck

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.