Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple continue to Update the iPod classic?

• Yes

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Are they ever going to update the iPod classic?! I think it's crazy they don't update before the holidays 2010. 160GB is so weak for $250 now! :mad:

FixYouriTunes

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
San Francisco
Yes tell me about it. I've been waiting for an updated Classic for a while now. I'm on my second 160GB Classic now and I'm hoping soon they will have a 250GB for 250! That's wish!

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
I hope so. I only have 9GB left on my 160GB (latest revision) iPod Classic. I know people argue that the iPod Touch is a better alternative, but for me, I like the convenience of having my entire music library on hand.

I've tried just using my iPhone 4 but I've found that when I'm in the mood for certain songs, it's probably not on there. The 16GB is so limited an I'm sure it will probably be at least 5-10 years before a 250GB iPhone is in existence, if ever.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I'm also one of those who likes to have my entire music collection with me when I travel, so I'm a fan of the classic, too.

While I love the Touch, too, (I have the 64GB) it is nice to have all of your music collection on one device.

Cheers

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
They should update it by either making it cheaper, more battery or more storage. hopefully they'll do all three though

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Apple should just make little flash chips that fit flush inside the 30 pin connector. You could have your music with you everywhere, without worrying about space.

The reason they don't do this is because capacity is a big selling point for new models, by not having microSD support there would be no need for users of older models to upgrade.

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I'd love to have a 500gb one and a 1tb one, that would be amazing.

Twizz91

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
I think they are going to discontinue the classic, and upgrade the ipod touch to 128gb flash.

Hasn't anyone noticed how steve did nót point the classic as an ipod during the september event (the one with the 'complete ipod make-over') He did not once notice the Classic.
So i think it's end of road for the Classic....

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
If people rememember the iPod Classic came out as 160Gb, then they cut the capacity back to 120GB, then they went back to 160GB. The reason why the Classic still sells well is because of capacity, as it has 1.8" hard disk inside it which is extremeley durable. Hell mine has dropped a couple of times and never missed a beat. I suppose Apple could put a touch screen in the classic with it existing hardware, this way people have the best of both. There has been no Firmware updates to the iPod Classic for over a year.

The iPhone 4 / iPod Touch all use DDR-RAM, not NAND which is used in SSD drives. The DDR is cheaper to produce and more common, unlike NAND used in SSD drives which is usually MLC (Multi Level Cell), rarely SLC (Single Level Cell). True the classic still uses a hard disk, but because these are so common and such high capacity the price of the HDD is very low, especially in the quantities Apple purchase from Hitachi etc. If Apple were to remove the HDD and replace it with a similar capacity 160GB SSD module, the price would make it more expensive than the top end iPod touch.

This is because NAND manufacturing is still pretty minimal and only a select few fabrication plants actually manufacture it - Samsung being the majority stakeholder, and due to this the price remains high. The simple idea of supply and demand. Currently between SSD / HDD the situation is the following - SSD very high speed lower capacity vs HDD slower speed larger capacity. Currently, its uneconomical to have the best of both worlds.

In the end Apple will either kill off the Classic or keep selling it till the Ipod Touch range and their capacities can be increased gradually to meet or exceed the 160GB Classic.

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
There comes a point where adding more storage just becomes not worth it. 160GB is a TON of storage.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
They should discontinue it. There comes a point where the old must yield to the new. The storage space of ipod touches are slowly increasing and have a large arsenal of features that the classic is highly unlikely to get. I'm only surprised that they haven't stopped it already. Maybe they are waiting until ipod touches get ~160 GB of storage space; since at that point they will outclass the classic in all respects.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
They've been using Toshiba 1.8" drives in these for years.

The largest one that Toshiba currently make is 320Gb with a 250Gb model in the same range, but whether they're at a bulk trade price that can enable Apple to keep their usual high margins and still have a product that people will pay for is another thing altogether. There also comes a point where the clickwheel becomes awkward to use with the number of files a gadget like this could hold, so having some idea of how Steve Jobs is incredibly fussy about interfaces, this also might play a part in its future and form factor.

I suspect they can't, or won't take the Classic much further.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Except for the price.

The features (and there are a lot of them) definitely outweigh the price difference. Also, how many people actually fill an ipod classic? The screen is too small to watch movies (in my opinion at least). Again, based on me, I can barely fill a 16 GB iphone (let alone my 32 GB iphone). At 64GB or maybe 120 in the next generation or two, that will be a considerable amount that most won't fill, other than the people that want an entire movie collection on their ipod for some reason.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The features (and there are a lot of them) definitely outweigh the price difference. Also, how many people actually fill an ipod classic? The screen is too small to watch movies (in my opinion at least). Again, based on me, I can barely fill a 16 GB iphone (let alone my 32 GB iphone). At 64GB or maybe 120 in the next generation or two, that will be a considerable amount that most won't fill, other than the people that want an entire movie collection on their ipod for some reason.

Some people do not need all of the features and just want something that will play music and let them watch videos on it. Personally I have an iPhone, but I also have an iPod Video and I don't mind watching movies on the 2.5" screen. That's why there are more than 1 iPod, because different people have different needs.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I'd love to have an iPod classic with a 500GB hard disk, better battery life, no stupid fancy interface, and a thicker body.

My favorite iPod design is the third generation iPod with the glowing red touch buttons. An updated version of that would be sick especially with a glass face.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
There comes a point where adding more storage just becomes not worth it. 160GB is a TON of storage.

I disagree, yes 160GB is a lot of storage for the average person. But iPod classics are intended for the hardcore music collectors etc. with a need for A LOT of storage space. For them, 160GB is not much today. Look at computer HD's, the second level iMac already has a terabyte!

I wouldn't mind if they retire the actual hard-drive discs and change to flash memory- but come on give us an update! We're paying nearly $1.56 per gigabyte on these!

Peter.Howard

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Australia.
My guess would be that Apple just replaces the Ipod Classic with an updated Ipod touch with more memory and the better display from the Iphone 4.
I'm sure from their point of view the Classic is an outdated product, with this touch screen OS.

The Ipod Classic does not really look much different to the first Ipod.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I disagree, yes 160GB is a lot of storage for the average person. But iPod classics are intended for the hardcore music collectors etc. with a need for A LOT of storage space. For them, 160GB is not much today. Look at computer HD's, the second level iMac already has a terabyte!

I wouldn't mind if they retire the actual hard-drive discs and change to flash memory- but come on give us an update! We're paying nearly $1.56 per gigabyte on these!

I highly doubt that even music junkies have 160GB of only music and no video. I doubt there is more than 5% of people that fill that to the ~40,000 song limit. And IF you have that much music, do you listen to it all? Or is it taking up space without being listened to? I only have 1.5 GB, but I cycle through it all. And the fact that mac hard drive has that much space is a different story too. Full computers have programs that take up a few GB. They typically handle much large files (and more of them) and need the extra space (although a terabyte is a bit excessive I must admit).

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
They should not change the ipod classic other than to give it more storage space. It is perfect the way it is!!!!

I for one would hate to have a touch. The touch screen is not nearly as functional as the click wheel. The click wheel is perfect for a music only device IMO because you don't have to mess with looking at the frickin' screen if you want to change songs or even change the volume.

I would be happy with a 256GB flash storage option or heck even a 320GB 1.8" HDD option would make me happy.

I have had my 160GB classic filled since the second week I have had it.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I for one would hate to have a touch. The touch screen is not nearly as functional as the click wheel. The click wheel is perfect for a music only device IMO because you don't have to mess with looking at the frickin' screen if you want to change songs or even change the volume.
it.

I agree about the interface. If all you want it for is music, the touch screen is less useful and it adds a lot to the cost. I want my money to go towards storage and not the iOS stuff. A 128GB Touch will be way too expensive for me. I'd love a 128GB flash-based storage Classic at $279, that would be perfect for me.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

The extra features of the touch are great if you need them and a complete waste of money if you don't.

I use my 160 GB classic for music only and I'm down to my last 5 GB. I've got an iPhone for the fancy stuff but I just like to plug my iPod into the speakers at work and let it play. The classic is perfect for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.