Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone,

So I've been researching for a while on upgrading my white intel iMac from a "Core Duo" processor to a "Core 2 Duo" processor. The processor I would like to use is a Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5750 processor, which would give me 2 additional cores as well as a small speed bump from 1.83 ghz to 2.0 ghz. I figured compatibility should be fine considering the FSB speed (667 Mhz) is the same. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone tell me if this will work for sure? I'll also be upgrading my HD while I have my baby open from 160GB to 1 TB.

Here are some reference links for anyone who is curious about upgrading as well:
- Processor: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33915
- Guide: http://www.maclife.com/article/upgrade_your_imac_core_2_duo_processor
- HD I will be using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...TC-Froogle-_-Hard+Drives-_-Seagate-_-22148433

I'm not sure about the backwards compatibility with the HD I have chosen; it uses SATA-3 and my current HD is SATA-1.5, does anyone know about these issues?

Looking for any help!

- Marshall

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
EDIT: I stand corrected. If you ask me, it's not really worth it to throw money at your machine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Why do you think you'll get to more cores? The CPU already has two cores in it. I say just upgrade the ram and hard drive. Upgrading the CPU in iMacs is very hard. And yes the hard drive will work just fine in that iMac.

Can't upgrade iMacs. Theoretically, you could install a logic board from a higher end iMac of the same generation.
Intell based iMacs can have their CPUs, hard drive, RAM, Airport card, and in some iMacs their video cards upgraded.

Last edited:

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
EDIT: I stand corrected. If you ask me, it's not really worth it to throw money at your machine.

If you look up the components I will be using, it will cost a little more than 100 dollars for a processor and HD upgrade. I don't know about you, but that's a hell of a lot more affordable than buying a new mac, which I don't have money for as a college student! Eek!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Intell Core 2 Duos only have two cores. Its the Intell Core Solo that has the single core.

Attachments

• Ruby Square.gif
    Ruby Square.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 3,268
Last edited:

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, so can anyone confirm about the processor I originally asked about? I found a cheap one on ebay that was pulled from a laptop. Does anyone know if that processor will work???

I already know about the T7000 line of compatible processors.

Also, thanks for the bit about the processor nomenclature. :)

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
:eek:
Any will do, those three T7-series ones I mentioned above are the fastest and most common ones.

Alright, thanks for the advice! I think I will go with a T7200 or T7400 since the T7600 seems to be out of my price range as a student.

Any other recommendations? Comments on the drive I chose?

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Looks like a good deal. It'll work fine. You can probably find a t7200 for about $75 on eBay.

Thanks a lot flopticalcube! I already purchased 2 gb of ram to put into my computer as well. I should get it in the mail in the next 2 days. Do you think going from 1 to 2 will provide me with a substantial speed improvement? Currently when I look at activity monitor I'm almost always using about 85% of my memory... So I'm thinking yes, but I really don't know. Seems like you're more knowledgable... so I thought I'd ask

- mar2194

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Thanks a lot flopticalcube! I already purchased 2 gb of ram to put into my computer as well. I should get it in the mail in the next 2 days. Do you think going from 1 to 2 will provide me with a substantial speed improvement? Currently when I look at activity monitor I'm almost always using about 85% of my memory... So I'm thinking yes, but I really don't know. Seems like you're more knowledgable... so I thought I'd ask

- mar2194
Absolutely. Before buying a new CPU, see if the RAM gives you enough of a boost. Core 2 processors are only about 25% faster than Core processors at the same clock speed. A 30% or so speed increase will be barely noticeable, especially after RAM and HD improvements.

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Absolutely. Before buying a new CPU, see if the RAM gives you enough of a boost. Core 2 processors are only about 25% faster than Core processors at the same clock speed. A 30% or so speed increase will be barely noticeable, especially after RAM and HD improvements.

Also, just want to make sure, the hard drive I've selected is DEFINITELY compatible? Will I have to change the pin arrangement thing on the HD so it will work with my iMac? (it's been a while since I've cracked open a computer so I forgot what the pin arrangement thing is called, but its like a little grid with a metal piece that connects the pins on the drive itself. At least that's how they used to be when I started out..)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Also, just want to make sure, the hard drive I've selected is DEFINITELY compatible? Will I have to change the pin arrangement thing on the HD so it will work with my iMac? (it's been a while since I've cracked open a computer so I forgot what the pin arrangement thing is called, but its like a little grid with a metal piece that connects the pins on the drive itself. At least that's how they used to be when I started out..)

SATA drives are fairly simple. It's just plug and go.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i thought about that upgrade too for a little while , but i decided after upgrading to 2 gb ram and that i would not gain enough to justify the processor upgrade as still be limited to a 667mhz system bus , so i settled for a wd- velociraptor 10000rpm 600gb(got it extremely cheap) which brings a real gain in speed , ok both upgrades together would bring up the speed , but then it would be cheaper ,as the core2 duo's dropped now significantly down in price near the same level as the core duo's since everyone wants a i3, i5 ,i7 , to sell the iMac core duo 1.83 and buy a iMac core 2 duo 2.16 and less hassle with taking the iMac apart

http://www.maclife.com/article/upgrade_your_imac_core_2_duo_processor

Last edited:

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
i thought about that upgrade too for a little while , but i decided after upgrading to 2 gb ram and that i would not gain enough to justify the processor upgrade as still be limited to a 667mhz system bus , so i settled for a wd- velociraptor 10000rpm 600gb(got it extremely cheap) which brings a real gain in speed , ok both upgrades together would bring up the speed , but then it would be cheaper ,as the core2 duo's dropped now significantly down in price near the same level as the core duo's since everyone wants a i3, i5 ,i7 , to sell the iMac core duo 1.83 and buy a iMac core 2 duo 2.16 and less hassle with taking the iMac apart

http://www.maclife.com/article/upgrade_your_imac_core_2_duo_processor
Yah, that's the guide I referenced above. This is more a cost factor and also a fun project for myself. Basically trying to route my procrastination from my studies towards something mildly productive.

Maybe a faster computer will make me more focused on my coursework, lol. I'll look up the WD velociraptor for pricing info, just a little scared though. 10000 rpm?! That's crazy... does boot time improve at all?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Yah, that's the guide I referenced above. This is more a cost factor and also a fun project for myself. Basically trying to route my procrastination from my studies towards something mildly productive.

Maybe a faster computer will make me more focused on my coursework, lol. I'll look up the WD velociraptor for pricing info, just a little scared though. 10000 rpm?! That's crazy... does boot time improve at all?

yes boot time is a lot quicker and apps only bounce once a huge improvement, i know its only the harddrive changed , but it feels more like overclocked processor too , just a comparison it boots about the same speed as my mates iMac i7 with ssd !! ,just a couple seconds slower while booting ,but not really noticeable slower on apps :cool:

mar2194

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Okay, so I installed my new RAM today! My iMac is much more responsive now. I think I will put off the CPU upgrade for a while at least.

I plan on going ahead with the HD upgrade nonetheless. I have a question that you may know how to answer:

Once I put in my new blank hard drive, I can install OS X 10.6 from a DVD right? I just have to hold down c while booting...?

Another question I have is I'm afraid (not for certain) that my CD/DVD drive is broken. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't use it often and last time I did I was trying to burn something and it kept spitting them back out... :(

So now I'm thinking... is there a way to install OS X from an iPod (or maybe a USB key) if I have to? If you don't know right off the bat that's fine, I will try using a DVD first. I put a CD in earlier today and it read that *okay* but I'm not sure about DVDs.

So let's say I have OS X on my new larger HD... can I use migration assistant to pull everything off of the old drive and put it onto the new one somehow? (I know SATA to USB 2.0 cables/enclosures exist) If so, how would I put the hard drive into "target disk" mode?

Please help before I buy a hard drive online!

- mar2194

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I upgraded a first generation Intel mac mini yesterday from a 1.66Ghz core duo to a 2.0GHz core 2 duo.

The main benefit is that the Core 2 duo will run 64 bit binaries, so possibly fewer issues with Lion when that launches and for better compatibility with an 802.11n card. Saw something about that on a guide for upgrading the mini. Not sure that the core duo would not handle one, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.