Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

123jmail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I need to merge two m4v into one (Ben Hur Disc 1 and Disc 2). I tried QuickTime Pro but when I open Disc 2, select all, copy then "Add to Movie" in the Disc 1 file, Disc 2 is imported minus chapters. It just drops the whole thing into one hour+ long Chapter 40 at the end of Disc 1. Am I doing it wrong or is this standard behavior for Quicktime. Is there a better solution?

In a different forum, spice weasel (THANKS!) suggested DVD2one but that seems to be a solution to use for future rips. Is there a way to fix these two m4v's without recoding?

Robbiem

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
i have this same problem, i have encoded pearl harbor, but there are two discs, and henceforth 2 parts. i need a simple way to join these two files.

grieter62

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2010
Merge multiple m4v with MPEG Streamclip in 2 minutes

The best free option I stumbled upon was MPEG Streamclip, http://www.squared5.com, an excellent video-editor for mac.

It features a batch mode in which you can easily join a multiple m4v-files into one mov. Just rename the mov to m4v and you're set! Without re-encoding etc, it took me about 2 minutes for 2 hours of m4v movies (6 docu's 'making of' ripped from a bonus dvd with Handbrake, AppleTV Preset, 1,66 Gb).*

Open MPEG Streamclip -> Choose 'List' -> 'Batch List'

Add Files you want to join -> Click join & Fix Timecode Breaks

Select a destination and choose MOV as destination file type.*

arnop

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Paris, France
The best free option I stumbled upon was MPEG Streamclip, http://www.squared5.com, an excellent video-editor for mac.

It features a batch mode in which you can easily join a multiple m4v-files into one mov. Just rename the mov to m4v and you're set! Without re-encoding etc, it took me about 2 minutes for 2 hours of m4v movies (6 docu's 'making of' ripped from a bonus dvd with Handbrake, AppleTV Preset, 1,66 Gb).*

Thanks for the tip, I'll also give it a try !

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

+ 1 on the Thanks for this, i had been using DETOX to join the Video TS folders and then running that through Handbrake. The problem is my copy of DETOX does not work on the new iMac.

I will give this a try.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Will this also work for splitting movies in Apple flavour? m4v, mp4?

Its just I want to merge, but also want to cut the beginning and end of the movies I encode off to, its a waste and when kids watch , would rather the movie just start straight away.

The best I've found, is a windows program, but it costs, and I have to do it either on the laptop, or re-boot iMac to use on Boot camp

Also though after converting I tag my movies and TV shows with meta data using MetaX or iDentify2. This embeds tags such as year, actor, genre, rating etc in the actual file (same as MP3), I've heard trimming may damage the header? or file to either lose the meta data or worse corrupt the file itself? is this possible?

**edit** done a tagging of it, then trimmed it, done a "save as mp4" take its thats corect? (whats difference in export and save as please?), then imported into tagger and the meta data had gone.

cheers

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Best I've seen for this is to go back to the source discs, rip them, use DVD2ONEX to join the two titles into one videoTS folder and then do a fresh Handbrake render of that joined "master".

Just about everything else seems to have issues in one way or another. If you have the original DVDs, pick up DVD2ONEX and try this option. Handbrake the resulting joined file into one "m4v". Then use something like metaX to tag the chapter names. This works very well, and pretty much every time for me. No problems.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Best I've seen for this is to go back to the source discs, rip them, use DVD2ONEX to join the two titles into one videoTS folder and then do a fresh Handbrake render of that joined "master".

Just about everything else seems to have issues in one way or another. If you have the original DVDs, pick up DVD2ONEX and try this option. Handbrake the resulting joined file into one "m4v". Then use something like metaX to tag the chapter names. This works very well, and pretty much every time for me. No problems.

I have used DETOX to do this, but now i keep running into a max size error. I change the file size in "settings" in DETOX, but i still get the error.

Trying to join disc 1 and 2 of the Godfather part 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.