Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
11/21/04
Dear Folks,

CompUSA has an external Pioneer Firewire 8X DVD burner on sale thru Tuesday for $80. The item doesn't say anything about Mac compatibility, nor does Pioneer's web site.

I've got a 1999 Powerbook with a Firewire PC card. I'm running OS 9.1 (*NOT* OSX) and my system folder shows extensions for "DVD decoder" and "DVD PC card enabler" (along with all the "Apple DVD..." extensions that I presume are irrelevant to using another maker's DVD burner). My copy of Toast is capable of burner DVDs.

Is that all I need to have this drive work on my machine, or would I need some kind of special driver to be able to access an external FireWire DVD burner?

The sale's only on thru Tuesday, so a prompt response would be most appreciated. Thanks!

pax / Ctein
==========================================
-- Ctein's Online Gallery http://www.ctein.com
-- Digital Restorations http://photo-repair.com
==========================================

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I would imagine that Toast would be fine with it, as long as it's version 5.x or higher. Watching DVDs from it might be tricky as OS 9 may have had a restriction on external DVD drives. But as long as you can use your FireWire card with other devices/drives, this one should show up and Toast should be able to use it.

I think the extensions you are seeing are for Apple CD/DVD burning from the Finder, which is slower and less capable than Toast anyway. I say buy it and keep the receipt. You'll know soon enough what it can and cannot do. An 8x burner is still faster than most media will actually do well and the cost of it is great! I paid about that for my Pioneer 107 drive (probably the same one in the enclosure you're thinking about).

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.