Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Thinking of buying a new receiver to hook all of my hdmi sources into (and have one out to the tv). I only have one hdmi input on my tv and this will allow me to hook everything up through hdmi and cut down on clutter.

Any have any issues doing this with the atv2? I seem to recall some old posts on possible issues with the old atv.

BTW, I am thinking of getting the Denon AVR-791.

Thanks,
Peter

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
It works for me through my Pioneer receiver. I have an older Apple TV also. Both devices seem a bit slow when switching to them via HDMI, but that is typical for some HDMI devices.

One big issue for me was the lack of HDMI colorspace options on the new Apple TV. Probably not an issue for most people, but it causes issues with some TV's, and the original Apple TV has settings to handle this.

mbcracken

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
Works for me...

Denon AVR-1910 being feed by the following:
ATV2 via wifi for Internet connection.
Comcast Box
Older Sony BluRay
Wii
One hdmi cable to TV.

Happy shopping.

Cheers,
Mike

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I am using a Onkyo receiver with HDMI out to a Sony receiver.

The HDMI inputs are

Sony PS3
Toshiba HD DVD
Direct TV HR23
ATV2

All the devices including the Apple TV work without problem through the Onkyo receiver.

pedz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. Looks like I should be ok.

sfroom

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I know it's a slight derailment from the OP's original question, but now that the question has been answered, I thought I'd weigh in re the receiver.

I'd recommend against the Denon 791. Really, the only reason I can see to buy a Denon at the moment is DLNA support. However, in my experience, I've never been able to get that feature working quite properly, and DLNA support is much better on more recent televisions and blu-ray players. And, it's not even offered on the 791.

Besides which, if you're plugging in an Apple TV, it's likely that you'll be using that device for streaming.

I also dislike the Denon for it's atrocious on screen display. It's like DOS. White text on a black background, and that's it. It really makes the iPod integration less useful. (This issue is remedied on the 891 and higher, which have a colour GUI).

Personally, I'd recommend a Pioneer VSX-1025 or VSX-1125. The 1125 is THX certified with a Marvell video processor and supports IP control (web interface), but in most other respects is the same as the 1020.

I know the 1125 is $250 off on newegg at the moment, so if $500 is in your price range, that's what I'd recommend.

Bigcase

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
MidWest
Switching works great...

I have one set up on a Onkyo receiver, that is using another seperate 3 way swich, hooked into input 1 and it works fine. I'm also doing the same with my Bose system, and it works fine as well, no issues!

Didjt

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
South Coast UK
I've had problems

last evening I had error message when trying to stream movie from MBP through ATV2 then Arcam receiver to Panasonic TV.
It will not switch through due to lack of support for HDCP.
I really don't have the technical knowledge to understand this so I have plugged ATV2 directly to TV.
Its a bloomin' nuisance.
Any solutions?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Plugging the old or new ATV (or any HDMI enabled box for that matter) into an HDMI switching surround sound receiver which then plugs into your TV with an HDMI cable is the preferred hookup method. Not sure why you would wonder if it works or not?

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I had my original Apple TV & Blu-Ray connected to an HDMI switcher. Worked great, aside from it taking about 20 seconds for the connection register when I switched between the two.

I've now got all my components fed to a receiver, which feeds to the TV through one single connection. I've actually run out of connections on the receiver (there are three ports and I've got the Blu-Ray, Original Apple TV and Cable Box connected) so I now have the original Apple TV and new Apple TV on a switcher.

pedz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I know it's a slight derailment from the OP's original question, but now that the question has been answered, I thought I'd weigh in re the receiver.

I'd recommend against the Denon 791. Really, the only reason I can see to buy a Denon at the moment is DLNA support. However, in my experience, I've never been able to get that feature working quite properly, and DLNA support is much better on more recent televisions and blu-ray players. And, it's not even offered on the 791.

Besides which, if you're plugging in an Apple TV, it's likely that you'll be using that device for streaming.

I also dislike the Denon for it's atrocious on screen display. It's like DOS. White text on a black background, and that's it. It really makes the iPod integration less useful. (This issue is remedied on the 891 and higher, which have a colour GUI).

Personally, I'd recommend a Pioneer VSX-1025 or VSX-1125. The 1125 is THX certified with a Marvell video processor and supports IP control (web interface), but in most other respects is the same as the 1020.

I know the 1125 is $250 off on newegg at the moment, so if $500 is in your price range, that's what I'd recommend.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. The reason I was going with the Denon was because it lets you save three presets which include the volume setting. I have my receiver setup so that when I turn everything off with my harmony remote it leaves the receiver on set to ATV so I can stream music through it. I want to have it change to a preset so I can have the volume set the same everytime i turn things off (instead of the last volume setting I had). I couldn't see a way to do something similar with Pioneer, essentially I want to be able to, through my harmony, set the receiver to a specific input and to a specific volume. The Denon presets allow me to do this, if you know of a way on the Pioneer I would appreciate it.

The 1120 (assume you meant 1120, don't see an 1125) does look nice, 6 hdmi inputs, but I need a way to do the above if I am going to consider it. And even better, Amazon has it for $475! And I have amazon prime. So if you could help with the above question I would go for this one.
Thanks,
Peter

pedz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

pedz said:

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. The reason I was going with the Denon was because it lets you save three presets which include the volume setting. I have my receiver setup so that when I turn everything off with my harmony remote it leaves the receiver on set to ATV so I can stream music through it. I want to have it change to a preset so I can have the volume set the same everytime i turn things off (instead of the last volume setting I had). I couldn't see a way to do something similar with Pioneer, essentially I want to be able to, through my harmony, set the receiver to a specific input and to a specific volume. The Denon presets allow me to do this, if you know of a way on the Pioneer I would appreciate it.

The 1120 (assume you meant 1120, don't see an 1125) does look nice, 6 hdmi inputs, but I need a way to do the above if I am going to consider it. And even better, Amazon has it for $475! And I have amazon prime. So if you could help with the above question I would go for this one.
Thanks,
Peter

I read the manual online fOr the 1120. Looks like the only way to programatically control volume is with the power on volume level setting. It really surprises me that there aren't any receivers in this price range that support default volume per input or the ability to type in a specific volume level.

If anyone is aware of one I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
Peter

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
Tried briefly with my Harmon Kardon and it wouldn't work and used optical. HDMI on this AVR has always been glitchy though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.