Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayceee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I'm thinking about putting an SSD in my early 2008 Macbook. However, since it only has an SATA I controller my throughput is going to be limited to ~187MB/s. This isn't particularly fast for a modern SSD, but should still be much faster than my stock HDD.

Has anyone else done this? Do you notice the missing throughput? Is the upgrade still worth it?

Thanks - J

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You will only notice the difference when doing large file transfers where the extra bandwidth could be utilized. In normal usage, it won't really matter. Besides, you still get the ultra-low latency which is the whole point of SSD.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
A few months ago, I put an Intel X25M-G2 SSD in my Early '06 Macbook and the thing just flies now - an SSD really makes for a world of difference, even on SATA-1. So yes, it's definitely worth it :)

jayceee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Great - thanks for the feedback. This is my compromise purchase instead buying one of the new MB Airs!

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I'm interested in doing the same thing. How much do 256GB SSD SATAI drives cost and where can I find them? Crucial UK lists £441 (although this is a 6GB/s drive which is a waste for my early 2008 MacBook), more than half the cost of a new MacBook! Any suggestions?

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
i can't offer too much assistance.. and sorry if i'm hijacking the thread, but do you ssd guys notice a bump in battery life??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.