Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Agreed. Now, if I can only start getting some -bigadv units...

hopefully you will. i haven't been folding the bigadv units lately, so i'm kinda out of the loop with whats going on with them. i hope they haven't ran out of them or something. of course, you won't get the bonus points until you've completed 10 units with your passkey though

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I got a -bigadv unit. It is taking Macross 23 minutes to process one step (1%) of the entire thing. Total is 2,500,000 and doing it in 25,000 steps. Dam that thing is taking a toll.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I got a -bigadv unit. It is taking Macross 23 minutes to process one step (1%) of the entire thing. Total is 2,500,000 and doing it in 25,000 steps. Dam that thing is taking a toll.

alright! go here and put in all the info on that unit, and it will tell you how many points per day (ppd) you are averaging on that unit. and it'll give some more info.

let us know what it says!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Alright! The -bigadv unit finished! Oh, wow, it boosted my point count from 2500ish to 11.5K points! Talk about a boost!

My performance index did suffer though, it went down from .94 to .76. Right now they gave me a light load, and in 2 hours I'm at 92%, hopefully that should boost my performance ration again.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Alright! The -bigadv unit finished! Oh, wow, it boosted my point count from 2500ish to 11.5K points! Talk about a boost!

My performance index did suffer though, it went down from .94 to .76. Right now they gave me a light load, and in 2 hours I'm at 92%, hopefully that should boost my performance ration again.

nice! put i your info in that link above to let us know what kind of PPD you are getting!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
nice! put i your info in that link above to let us know what kind of PPD you are getting!

I'm assuming the TPF means Time per Frame? As in amount of time it takes to complete 1%?

In any case, I put in a small average, results show as follow:

Attachments

• tpf.png
    tpf.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 157

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
well which client are you using? is it overclocked?
I go between Windows and OS X. (It's a hackintosh) Right now I'm in windows using the console SMP client. It was overclocked, but not anymore.

EDIT: By that same calculator, it says I should be getting 13,000PPD... but I'm not sure if I am getting bonus points due to the fact that swiching back and fourth between OS X and Windows could cause me to fall short of the 80% return threshold. FahMon just says 2000 ppd.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I go between Windows and OS X. (It's a hackintosh) Right now I'm in windows using the console SMP client. It was overclocked, but not anymore.

EDIT: By that same calculator, it says I should be getting 13,000PPD... but I'm not sure if I am getting bonus points due to the fact that swiching back and fourth between OS X and Windows could cause me to fall short of the 80% return threshold. FahMon just says 2000 ppd.

well there are different SMP console clients. which version do you have?

you will only get 13k ppd if you fold 24/7. if you keep switching then you won't be able to meet the deadline to get bonus points. and you might be right about the 80%.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
well there are different SMP console clients. which version do you have?

you will only get 13k ppd if you fold 24/7. if you keep switching then you won't be able to meet the deadline to get bonus points. and you might be right about the 80%.
Well, I will do a couple days of windows (so I can run my GPU), then a week or so of OS X (it's not as regular as it sounds..I reboot pretty much whenever I feel like...this is just an estimate of when I do), so it's not like I switch constantly, but there might be just enough to miss the 80%.

For Windows I am using the last client on this page that is in the pink box. SMP2 console Ver. 6.30

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Getting tough to grab a bigadv these days... Plus they all seem to be 2684 which are much slower the the other on my machine for some reason (they take 3.4 days vs 2.8 days).

I am holding off buying another Mac Pro until things settle down.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, I will do a couple days of windows (so I can run my GPU), then a week or so of OS X (it's not as regular as it sounds..I reboot pretty much whenever I feel like...this is just an estimate of when I do), so it's not like I switch constantly, but there might be just enough to miss the 80%.

For Windows I am using the last client on this page that is in the pink box. SMP2 console Ver. 6.30

ok you have the right client. do you have a passkey? what are you putting in your command when you run the client?

After the -bigadv unit, only three consecutive simple units. Each one with 4 minute TPF, so I bet they are something like 500 points total per work unit.

well remember once you complete 10 units with your passkey, you'll start getting bonus points. so hopefully you'll get more than 481 points for those smaller units.

Getting tough to grab a bigadv these days... Plus they all seem to be 2684 which are much slower the the other on my machine for some reason (they take 3.4 days vs 2.8 days).

I am holding off buying another Mac Pro until things settle down.

yeah i'm just straight gpu folding right now. i might go back to bigadv units when it gets colder here.

hey let us know if you get a new mac pro though! that would be awesome!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
ok you have the right client. do you have a passkey? what are you putting in your command when you run the client?
Yes I do have a passkey, but like I said, I don't think I am getting bonus points, but I will let you know after this WU gets done.
I am using the flags -bigadv and -smp 8. I'm also pretty sure I'm not getting bigadv units. I have the size of the WU set to normal, and it probably should be set to big, just when I have it set to "Big", it DOES give me a bigadv unit, but I have trouble meeting the deadline since I turn my computer off when I sleep (maybe I'll move it to another room so it can run all night and do "Big" bigadvs:p). But anyway, when the WU size is set to normal, it looks like it is just giving me other A3(?) units (right now, #6702 to be specific) after saying
Code:
"Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry"
Until it just gives me another A3 unit. I'm guessing this is because there are no "normal" bigadvs to available right now?
So I plug my WU number and TPF into the SMP2 point calculator, and it says I should be getting 7424 PPD with bonus points and everything. That doesn't sound quite right, but maybe that will change after this WU finishes...hopefully I will get bonus points on these guys at least...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yes I do have a passkey, but like I said, I don't think I am getting bonus points, but I will let you know after this WU gets done.
I am using the flags -bigadv and -smp 8. I'm also pretty sure I'm not getting bigadv units. I have the size of the WU set to normal, and it probably should be set to big, just when I have it set to "Big", it DOES give me a bigadv unit, but I have trouble meeting the deadline since I turn my computer off when I sleep (maybe I'll move it to another room so it can run all night and do "Big" bigadvs:p). But anyway, when the WU size is set to normal, it looks like it is just giving me other A3(?) units (right now, #6702 to be specific) after saying
Code:
"Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry"
Until it just gives me another A3 unit. I'm guessing this is because there are no "normal" bigadvs to available right now?
So I plug my WU number and TPF into the SMP2 point calculator, and it says I should be getting 7424 PPD with bonus points and everything. That doesn't sound quite right, but maybe that will change after this WU finishes...hopefully I will get bonus points on these guys at least...

well if you don't want -bigadv units, i would instead use -advmethods and this way you should get the bonus points. either way, i would reconfigure your client to use "big" units. that may be your problem with bonus points.

so in other words, if you don't want the really big bigadv units, instead use this command:

Code:
fah -smp 8 -advmethods -verbosity 9 -local

and make sure you set it to get "big" units instead of "normal"

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Just got one of the new 6900 bigadv, they run like the nice ones. Hopefully this means that the bigadv shortage has ended.

jav6454, did you get the bonuses yet?

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Why is this?

Some bigadv units take longer to finish for some reason, the PPD varies greatly (from 12k with regular non bigadv to 16k for the slow bigadv to 23k for the fast ones).

I wonder what you get with a 3.33 6 cores or with any 12 cores...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Good! Hopefully you'll get a nice bonus with this one !

Hopefully. Right now, I checked it last time yesterday at 7:30PM and it was at 51% finished.

Just got one of the new 6900 bigadv, they run like the nice ones. Hopefully this means that the bigadv shortage has ended.

jav6454, did you get the bonuses yet?

None so far. I'll know when I finish.

Some bigadv units take longer to finish for some reason, the PPD varies greatly (from 12k with regular non bigadv to 16k for the slow bigadv to 23k for the fast ones).

I wonder what you get with a 3.33 6 cores or with any 12 cores...

Oh, I see! Thanks for that!

Also,
12 cores..... *drools* 24 threads.... *spasms*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.