Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have some Kindle made books that I'd like to get to be seen through my iPad's Kindle app. How do I do this?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have some Kindle made books that I'd like to get to be seen through my iPad's Kindle app. How do I do this?
It is my understanding that books purchased using one Kindle are synchronized across all Kindles [and Kindle applications] using the same account. You are supposed to be able stop reading a Kindle book on your Kindle device and resume where you left off when you launch the Kindle app on your iPad or iPhone.

Jxo177

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
As long as it is the same amazon account all of the purchases are archived. Hit the archived items button on the bottom left of the app screen

redshift1

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010

Download Kindle app to device.
Click on Icon
Click on Archive
Click on Title

Opens to last page read.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

1. Like the others already said, use the Archive feature for books that you purchased in the Kindle store.

2. Send the document to your Kindle eMail address: <YourAddress>@kindle.com -- Amazon will then convert the file for you and add it to your Kindle archive. They -- might -- charge you a fee for that service.

3. Adding eBooks directly to your device only works with a real Kindle, but NOT with the Kindle app. With the Kindle app, you only have options 1 and 2.

If you have eBooks from other sources than Amazon and do not want to use their conversion service, you can either use Apple's iBooks (which supports ePub format) or Stanza as your eBook reader. To convert eBooks from various different sources to various different target formats, you can use the Open Source software Calibre -- it can even convert PDFs to Mobi or ePub format. Works great!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
No no. These books haven't been bought at Amazon. They have been acquired in the Kindle format however...

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Then as Winni pointed out, get Calibre, convert them to epub, and read them with Stanza or iBooks.

Ok, that's what I have been doing, but I thought there was another way to send to my Kindle account and make it appear in my Kindle App.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok, that's what I have been doing, but I thought there was another way to send to my Kindle account and make it appear in my Kindle App.

Nope, Kindle app only allows you to download books you purchased from Amazon. If you jailbreak your iPad, you can try copying your book into the Kindle app's document directory, but I doubt it will be stable, if it works at all. And the best feature of Kindle is whisper sync, but that will definitely not work with the jailbreak and copy method. iBooks, however, will sync your place and bookmarks across devices, whether or not the book was purchased through iBooks. I'm not sure if Stanza has this feature. But if you have multiple iDevices, syncing across devices is something to take into account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.