Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
This has been the case with every Apple notebook at least since the G3 iBooks. If this unacceptable Apple doesn't make an acceptable notebook...

Reactions: James.K.Polk

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
when you turn down the brightness all the way in a room with the light on is the apple logo suppose to be visible through the screen?

This is completely normal. Once you have light on the screen you can't see the logo anymore. You have to have a pretty direct backlight to see it though.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
I would rather Apple designed this away, but in the meantime I got a new MBA skin from iCarbons.com that has all but eradicated the issue for me.

Now it defintely takes very extreme lighting right up against the logo for me to see it through the screen.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
who the hell cares?
if the screen isn't backlit, you shouldn't be trying to read anything on the screen anyways.

No matter how much or little anyone cares, it's technically a design compromise, regardless of how visible it is. Clearly it reflects a compromise Apple was willing to make, and various consumers care about it to varying degrees. So obviously at least a handful of people care, to answer your baitish question.

If you the hell don't care and still posted, I wonder how inflammatory your posts are regarding things you DO care about!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wow, you guys are a riot. You can only see the logo when the backlight is off entirely and a light source is behind the laptop.

Light can travel both ways you know.

How some of you consider this some type of flaw is beyond me....

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
This is not necessarily true. Both the Apple logo and the screen get their light from the same backlight, so obviously if the backlight is off it is possible for a small amount of light to bleed through the logo onto the screen. I can see a very faint and fuzzy Apple logo if I turn off the backlight on my 11" and hold the back up to a bright light.

+1 I've had the same experience with my 2008 MBA and 2009 MB. And my new MBA.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
Wow, you guys are a riot. You can only see the logo when the backlight is off entirely and a light source is behind the laptop.

Light can travel both ways you know.

How some of you consider this some type of flaw is beyond me....

Since some of us have seen it when the backlight isn't "entirely" off, that would disprove your statement.

For instance, post-processing or viewing images or video of extremely dark scenes. I work in a company that routinely has clients with MacBook Pros come in to darkened theaters where the only source of light is what's reflecting off the screen. Since that light is hitting the back of the MBPs, lo and behold, if they're working on or viewing images or videos that happen to be dark, voila, occasionally a faint glow of an Apple logo can reveal itself. "What's that? Is it an artifact in the image?" "No, it's just the logo from my MacBook."

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I could see the logo through my screen when no light was on in my room and it was ambient off-axis light source from a window 10+ feet away.

If it doesn't bother you, great. If it didn't exist at all, it also wouldn't bother you. So, since it does exist, I fail to see why it's a problem that it bothers others. It affects some of us, and that's who this thread is meant for. If it's unimportant to you, then why post?

Some one posts an offhand thought in a public forum and it then becomes a topic for discussion. It doesn't mean anyone is losing any sleep over it.

How some of you derive self-esteem from insulting others' standards or usage scenarios because they don't match your own is beyond me.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
For instance, post-processing or viewing images or video of extremely dark scenes. I work in a company that routinely has clients with MacBook Pros come in to darkened theaters where the only source of light is what's reflecting off the screen. Since that light is hitting the back of the MBPs, lo and behold, if they're working on or viewing images or videos that happen to be dark, voila, occasionally a faint glow of an Apple logo can reveal itself. "What's that? Is it an artifact in the image?" "No, it's just the logo from my MacBook."

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I could see the logo through my screen when no light was on in my room and it was ambient off-axis light source from a window 10+ feet away.
That's such a small group of people though. I'd think you'd put the company logo over the Apple logo or something similar to eradicate the issue.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
That's such a small group of people though. I'd think you'd put the company logo over the Apple logo or something similar to eradicate the issue.

Yep, you're absolutely right. Which I imagine is why Apple hasn't spent the R&D on designing it out. I *wish* they would, but that doesn't mean they *should*, and I can understand why they haven't.

And the meantime I've done exactly as you've suggested. :) An applique right over the logo has diminished it to such an extent that it's immeasurable to my colorimeter or spectrophotmeter (the latter of which admittedly has its own low-light issues).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yep, you're absolutely right. Which I imagine is why Apple hasn't spent the R&D on designing it out. I *wish* they would, but that doesn't mean they *should*, and I can understand why they haven't.

And the meantime I've done exactly as you've suggested. :) An applique right over the logo has diminished it to such an extent that it's immeasurable to my colorimeter or spectrophotmeter (the latter of which admittedly has its own low-light issues).
Exactly. To Apple, it doesn't affect enough people and is excellent advertising for them.

jeremynelson

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
WOAH, FEATURE! (just kidding)

Okay, maybe this is a serious fanboy moment, but while I don't think it is a feature at all to have the logo shine through, the fact that this is happening makes me REALLY want a macbook air/pro with an entirely glass back that allows the screen to backlight naturally... Dreaming? Probably, but this is so cool.

ps. I'm sorry to the folks this causes a problem for. I often sit by a window and I like my brightness low (until I'm editing photos). So I'm surprised I've never noticed this before. But I just opened my macbook air and there it was, floating on the black screen before I woke it up. It's kind of creepy and cool at the same time. I hope it couldn't permanently damage the screen in any way or leave a sun spot after extended time in direct sunlight, but I have never heard of that happening.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Every laptop I've had from Apple did this. Haven't noticed it recently, but it's not a fault. Just the way it is. You'll have to turn the brightness down a lot while being in a lighted room, which is almost never the case..

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
You shouldn't be able to see it through the screen under any circumstances.

Why not? The logo is transparent, of course if there is more light shining onto the back of the screen than the screen backlight is producing you'll be able to see the Apple logo. Switch off your MacBook's screen and shine a torch through the Apple logo ;)

Marv89

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Only when the MBA is shut down and a strong light behind it. Not a problem at all

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This is like one of those "I can see Jesus on my back yard tree at certain hour of the day, when the sun hits it just the right angle during the winter soltice!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.