Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
Is there any way to live stream espn3 or normal espn on iphone or ipod touch preferably for free? It would be so awesome to watch college sports on my ipod! If there isn't a way to do this now do you think ESPN will ever make its espn mobile tv available for iphone or ipod?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
there are sport specific apps (cost $) that you can download to watch your favorite sports...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
No free options for live espn streaming.

However you should look into investing into a sling box. Best $150 I have spent in a long time. Plus $30 for sling iPhone app.

You are talking about a one time Investment with no recurring charges less than $200 to remotely control and watch all your cable stations on the fly.

I travel a lot. Nothing better than watching sports live while in the airplane.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Try veetle.com on your phone. Its not channel specific although they do show alot of sports from espn ;)

supermac96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
No free options for live espn streaming.

However you should look into investing into a sling box. Best $150 I have spent in a long time. Plus $30 for sling iPhone app.

You are talking about a one time Investment with no recurring charges less than $200 to remotely control and watch all your cable stations on the fly.

I travel a lot. Nothing better than watching sports live while in the airplane.

so what paid ones are there that let you watch espn live except getting a slingbox?

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
I use OrbLive ($10) to stream ESPN 3 live on my iPhone.

You have to also install the PC software and have it running on your computer when using it, but it works well, I use it all the time to stream NBA games.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
is orblive on cydia or the app store and does it work for mac?

If you have a mac, buy elagato EyeTV. Works FAR better than Orb on a mac. Also looks better.

Slingbox is absolute waste of money. You will end up paying a ridiculous amount of money for software with poor, poor support.

As of today, their mobile player was last updated in February of this year. They still haven't updated it to stream in the I4's higher resolution. Oh yeah, did I mention that they still haven't put out an iPad app? And when they do, it will probably cost another $30.

You are better off dedicated a PC to these things. And while your at it, you can also stream music, movies, videos, e.g. The moral of this story is avoid Slingmedia.

Jasperjax

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, NY
Another vote for the slingbox here. One of the best investments I've ever made, I love being able to watch my full compliment of cable channels whenever/wherever I want. Also, the iPad version was demo'd over the weekend so an update is coming sooner rather than later.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
macsrcool1234, not sure why you are so angry with Slingbox.

I have the solo and unlimited data, and it's the absolute best solution I've ever found. I travel a lot and catch up on my Dish DVR'd shows via my iP4 and 3G wherever I am. It's also GREAT for watching College Football live when on the go. Nothing like shopping with the wife while streaming the SC Gamecocks (hello ATL!!) on a Saturday.

I cannot recommend the Slingbox enough. 110% worth the initial cost!!!

sirgromit

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
A Slingbox or EyeTV, while cool and useful products, will not help with ESPN3.com (formerly ESPN360.com) which is a Flash-based online only streaming network. It is also only available through an affiliated ISP so if your ISP doesn't have a deal with ESPN3 you will not get direct access to the streams. It would be great if ESPN would create an iOS app that supported ESPN3.com.

DeBaryFL

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Slingbox is absolute waste of money. You will end up paying a ridiculous amount of money for software with poor, poor support.

As of today, their mobile player was last updated in February of this year. They still haven't updated it to stream in the I4's higher resolution. Oh yeah, did I mention that they still haven't put out an iPad app? And when they do, it will probably cost another $30.

It certainly hasn't been a waste for me. I use my Slingbox with Slingplayer Mobile at least several times a week and have been very happy with them. I've used the app for over a year on my iPhone 3Gs and then my iPhone 4 with no problems whatever, and have gotten much more than my $30 worth from it. It's great to be able to watch any of 220+ live TV channels or recorded programs on my Dish Network DVR wherever I am, over either Wi-Fi or the 3G network. As for streaming at the iPhone 4's higher resolution, the picture is quite sharp now. I'm not sure if many people would notice a significant difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.