Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r4f0

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Thanks for posting the solution you found.

Just to give some more info, for those who care, about the above commands I'll give a brief description of what each line does (as I understand them).
  1. chflags 0 removes all flags from the file(s)
  2. chown 0:80 ensures root:admin (owner:group) permissions so the system can access the files
  3. chmod 775 adjusts file permissions so you and your group have read/write/execute permissions
  4. chmod -N removes the ACL (Access Control Lists) from the named file(s)

Lovely Man, you saved my life, Thank you, thanks you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You can also just do this command to unlock anything:

sudo SetFile -a l /path/of/thing/to/unlock

That " l " is a lowercase "L" by the way. And you'll need your admin password of course. This will clear up any annoying "Operation not permitted" errors you may be getting from chmod, chown, etc.

NOTE: SetFile only works if you have Apple's developer tools, called "XCode", installed on your system. If you don't have it installed, maybe try some of the other suggestions first, since XCode is a big install, and I doubt it would be worth the space it takes up just to get SetFile in your Terminal. Maybe there is another way to just add SetFile to the Terminal, but ever since Apple turned the Mac system into a nightmare of invisible files and folders, nobody seems to know the answers to such questions. But you can download the developer tools installer for free, and every Mac and every copy of OS X sold comes with an installer for it.

belfner

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Can't access my MyBook anymore

drw-rw-rw-@ 28 1020 Sep 30 18:19 MyBook

Says there are custom securities on and I do not have permission to access the files. I am the administrator and can't get to my files! any help?

nichul

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Hi! I did the terminal thing, but up to ls - go only (coz i'm quite scared) and I got this:

drwxr-xr-x 1 24576 Nov 9 16:07 FreeAgent GoFlex Drive
It is NTFS.

I really need to unlock my hard disk because I need those files for my business. I hope you can help me.
THanks!

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
Hi! I did the terminal thing, but up to ls - go only (coz i'm quite scared) and I got this:

drwxr-xr-x 1 24576 Nov 9 16:07 FreeAgent GoFlex Drive
It is NTFS.

I really need to unlock my hard disk because I need those files for my business. I hope you can help me.
THanks!

Well, as you can see your drive is formatted as NTFS and not HFS+ So, what this means is that it's not a "Mac" drive, it's formatted for PC/Windows use.
The unlocking advice given in this thread is for HFS+ drives, so nothing mentioned in here will solve your problem.

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I'm unfamiliar with how NTFS works… :(

Maybe someone else can be of more help?

Aslladybug

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
External Hard Drive Folders Unlock to "Read & Write"

Hello,

Please help. I bought a Seagate Free Agent Go Flex External drive. I transferred all my files from my previous external HD.
When I went to access my folders on my external HD, the folders are all locked, with Sharing and Permission section in the Information "Everyone: Read" only! I can't change any of the information or move things! All of them are locked and "read only." I know how to change it, but only manually, individually. I have several hundreds of folders and I don't want to manually change all of them to "Read & Write." Is their a way to let me re-set the folders to "Read & Write" easily??

Last edited:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
screenshot20101115at242.png

nichul

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Hi IEatApples! :)

The sudo thingy code actually worked!

I just typed it out, quit all my running programs, then I restarted the laptop.
I clicked my HD, got info, then it said I could read and write on it!! I'm so happpy!

Thanks to your help again!!! You guys don't know how much it meant for me. Thanks so much again! :)

IEatApples

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Northern Hemisphere (Norway)
Hi IEatApples! :)

The sudo thingy code actually worked!

I just typed it out, quit all my running programs, then I restarted the laptop.
I clicked my HD, got info, then it said I could read and write on it!! I'm so happpy!

Thanks to your help again!!! You guys don't know how much it meant for me. Thanks so much again! :)

Nice! :)

I'm glad you've got your hard disk back!

ludobarbot

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
PLEASE HELP, Its been a month I was not able open this external storage. I have all the back ups here and all my files.

did you ever manage to fix your hd cause im having the same problem :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Great-Scott

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Hi there

I have a Macbook Pro with a split hard drive running Mac OSX and also Windows 7 through Bootcamp.

The external hard drive was originally used on Windows XP by my mum who saved everything to this so that she could use it on my Macbook Pro.

It works on Windows 7 and all permissions are open to me but when I open it on the Mac the whole drive is locked and when I go to 'get info' there is no check box for me to unlock, it just says 'read only'.

I'm very technical when it comes to computers but found this info in 'terminal'

drwxr-xr-x 1 8192 2 Mar 22:22 Elements Hard Drive

Any ideas?? please help :)

Lee34

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Cannot change Sharing & Permissions

I've never noticed any problem before tonight, but when I tried to delete some files from an Iomega external drive, a screen says the file cannot be deleted. The Information on that drive tells me I am allowed only to read. Unlocking the padlock icon does not change anything; and, looking under the "General" section, I have clicked "Shared folder," which had not been selected before. Still, I can only read. The Format is "Mac OS Extended." Another external drive has "Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as does my iMac's hard drive. I had used this drive originally on a now-deceased PowerMac, and I do not remember having done anything to this drive except to take it out of its box and plugging it in. I wouldn't know how to format.

After opening the lock icon, the Name and Privilege boxes remain gray and cannot be used; the two boxes beneath the Name and Privilege boxes are not usable. I have tried checking and unchecking the "Ignore ownership on this voume," but the problem remains.

When I unlock the icon on the Information screen for the file I want to delete, the results are the same. However, I cannot check or change anything in the "General" section.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me, and I hope that posting this here is the appropriate place.

Lee

fyos

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
I have just had the same problem with my MacBook Pro with a 2TB WD Hard Drive with 4 separate partitions which all became "custom" locked a few days ago. Major problem as this had all my Pro Tools and Sound Librarys on this disk

I found a solution from a user called IEatApples in a string which had been archived in this forum. The solution has worked for me, and all my partitions are now unlocked. Here is the URL to the archived forum on the subject

https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-417647.html

I am extremely grateful to IEatApples and indeed this entire archived string. My drive and all partitions are now all unlocked.

Here is IEatApples solution and instructions repeated below which worked for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I called Apple and they gave me the solution :):

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9035132&#9035132

I found a solution that worked.

In Terminal type the following sequence (obviously replace "Volumename with the name of your volume):

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Volumename
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Volumename

but if your hard drives name includes a [space] like this: "My HD", then you must write the command like this:

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/firstname\ secondname

or like in my example:

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/My\ HD
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/My\ HD
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/My\ HD
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/My\ HD

It saved both my drives! THANK YOU APPLE!!! :)

Thank You IEatApples - you saved me substantial grief :eek:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I repeat, original archived string on this subject in this forum can be found at
https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-417647.html

//FYOS

calbear93

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
My hard drive is NTFS, so it's locked on my Mac!

Is this something I could do? Copy all files on my hard drive onto a Windows computer. Go to my Mac and reformat the hard drive into the FAT format using Disk Utility. Go back to the Windows computer and load all files back onto the hard drive. After this, the hard drive should be changeable by Macs as well.

Does anyone know of any software that I could download that would allow me to make changes to the hard drive WITHOUT having to reformat the hard drive into the FAT format? Please help please!

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
My hard drive is NTFS, so it's locked on my Mac!

Is this something I could do? Copy all files on my hard drive onto a Windows computer. Go to my Mac and reformat the hard drive into the FAT format using Disk Utility. Go back to the Windows computer and load all files back onto the hard drive. After this, the hard drive should be changeable by Macs as well.

Does anyone know of any software that I could download that would allow me to make changes to the hard drive WITHOUT having to reformat the hard drive into the FAT format? Please help please!

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html

itgirl2013

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
I have external hard drive. WD My passport 070B –CH .The problem is that the device is installed and has been recognized, but could not been seen in the computer hardware.
My main focus is on how to disable the write protection ( I do not had any password keyed in and have no idea how this was protected ) through the Disk management , so that i can Initialize it .I use windows 7 in my computer. I need my information in that device and I can't reformat. Please help me.

prince11bon

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
it says "Read-only file system"

It doesn't work for me....

After following instructions... it says:

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/My\ Passport
chflags: /Volumes/My Passport: Read-only file system

"Read-only file system" all through the commands...

I need to write to my external HD (My Passport, in NTFS format)... need help...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.