Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
1) A Faraday cage doesn't need to be grounded to work.
2) A "Faraday case" is a dumb idea. How would you receive calls?
3) The paranoid posts in the thread are stupid to the point of hilarity. Go live in an igloo somewhere, OK?

Sure, but there is a difference between paranoid and informed.
Go ahead, believe the media, enjoy American Idol and get Rfid for your phone.

jbzoom

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Mumbai, India
Core component of future strategy

Multiple reports have come in that Apple is researching RFID integration into the iPhone, but some may still be wondering what such functionality would bring to the table for consumers.

Firstly, we should note that RFID is a catch-all term that describes a vast array of technologies and standards. RFID tags can be relatively large and battery-powered, such as ones used in toll collection, to small "passive" tags that can be embedded into credit cards, drivers licenses (called "Enhanced Drivers Licenses" in the U.S.), passports, or stuck onto a piece of merchandise.

Currently, cell-phone usage of RFID technology is centered around Near Field Communication (NFC). NFC has three main usage scenarios: a phone acting as an RFID tag; a phone acting as an RFID reader; and peer to peer communication (P2P).

In RFID tag mode, a phone could be used as a payment device (like a credit card), an identity card, or act as a car key. In RFID reader mode the phone would be able to interact with tags in its vicinity. This article and video demonstrates how an iPhone with RFID could use physical objects to control media playback. And in P2P mode, Bluetooth pairing can be streamlined.

These are just a few ways that RFID could be used in an iPhone. When or if it becomes a reality isn't clear, but hopefully now you have a better idea of what the potential is for Apple's research in this area.

Article Link: Why an RFID-enabled iPhone?

Apple is believed to be working on technologies where your iOS device carries the configuration details of your OSX device, while the OSX device is backed up in the cloud. Then merely placing your iOS device next to another OSX device will enable that OSX device to be temporarily configured as if it were yours. And removing the iOS device will make the OSX device return to its original state. No wonder they are interested in short range radio technologies...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Time to move off the grid. :rolleyes:

mel-gibson-conspiracy-theory.jpg

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
don't worry

The RFID chip will be a close range chip only. I had one in my Japanese cell phone when I lived there. It was called SUICA in the Tokyo area (its called different things else where in Japan). There was also a card just for riding the train by the same name. Regardless, it was awesome to have because Japanese ATMs aren't alway 24 hours, might banks closed at 9pm for example and that country isn't really into credit cards. So I always kept between 2000 to 10000 yen on it ($20-$100 USD), that way I could always grab a train home, get a drink or a snack if I needed it. Any place within a 10 walk of the station took the it, including vending machines.
It was really really handy! got me home the one time I lost my wallet!:)

I welcome it

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana
I want mine programmed so when I walk by a vending machine it spits out a Dr Pepper and a honey bun.
Then I can tell me wife I didn't do it, but waste not want not.....:D

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Knowing Apple there will be a way to turn it off in the OS if you don't want to use it. Also for the totally paranoid, a mod to remove the hardware from your iPhone will hit the web the week it is on the street.

Also, I bet the hardware will be laid out where removing a pair or surface mount resistors will make it that simple to disable separating the antenna from the semiconductor.

Why RFID?

Vending Machines

Gas Pumps

Door locks and passage locks

Home security system thing - let's you know who came to your door etc.

Subway Train Token

Movie Tickets

Digital "tickets" for anything.

Museum audio program guide thingies.

Micro Payment systems

Demographic plotting of people passing a turnstile

I hope people try to see beyond the "evil Gubment" spy stuff.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
No spy chips, thank you.

http://spychips.com

I saw that website, and laughed.

"Wal-Mart is embedding RFID's In clothing ZOMG1984"

Those RFIDs are not secret government alien probes, they are made by sensormatic, are destroyed at point of sale (those demagnatizers, the bzzh sound is the RFID being scrambled), and only used if you walk out the door with something unpaid. Even then, it's not a GPS mega sensor that's tracking your every move, it just reacts with the sensors at the door to set off an alarm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.